IGNORED

Luton Town away match thread

Not bothered by this result. Luton are doing well, we're not going to get relegated or make the playoffs.

A small squad that's still developing with loads of young players - exactly the sort of game we'd struggle in annoyingly. I am hoping that by this time next year, we'll be winning more games like this and have a realistic chance of playoffs by mid-March.

• Like 3

The most entirely predictable of results..........knew it would be 1-0  or 2-0.........we sorely need some physical presence in midfield and a forward who can hold the ball up.   Still better sides than us will lose at Luton's building site of a ground?  Hey Ho........to Swansea we will go.  

Edited by maxjak
2 hours ago, redkev said:

Exactly the performance and sort of game I predicted , I have seen Luton a few times this year and I knew they would be all over us like a rash , did well to come out of the first half only 1 down , quite a bit better 2nd half .

what is it with us and tight small grounds never seem to do that well , Griffin park , kenilworth road , Dean court ( Bournemouth for you young uns ) apart from the one occasion I think twerton was a bit of a nightmare ground aswell

Please never mention Trumpton again......without doubt........my worst ever experience at an away fixture?  Amongst many away games.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

I think a few people have mentioned this before but Luton have recruited to a plan.

We collected players under LJ/Ashton and the fall out is now quite clear. Our approach has had implications on and off the pitch.

Yeah the 'great reset' has IMO another season left in the financial prudence sense however culturally I feel as though we are pretty much there. 

Another big season of change for the squad? Potebtially 4 or 5 out and that 5 or 6 in? What we don't want is to lose the opportunity for our youth pathway so that may limit the incomings.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah the 'great reset' has IMO another season left in the financial prudence sense however culturally I feel as though we are pretty much there. 

Another big season of change for the squad? Potebtially 4 or 5 out and that 5 or 6 in? What we don't want is to lose the opportunity for our youth pathway so that may limit the incomings.

Agree on the cultural change, we’ve made good strides on that front.

Difficult to know where we are as a squad with so many injuries but I think 3-5 exits and may be the same incoming. Think the club has a direction again, just need to stick to it. 

4 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

@GrahamC the bloke with the robin mask?

Guilty. Pleased I made an impression.

I’d have hoped that anyone with an ounce of intelligence would have seen it for what it was.

Optimistically tongue in cheek.

There are far too many on here who seem to take life and themselves far too seriously. 

Me? Life’s too short for that and I like to have some fun. And let’s face it. We don’t get much fun watching our beloved BCFC at either home or away.

Unless I guess you play the football expert, like analysing phases of game play or truly enjoy dour performances week in, week out.

Slow but steady progress. Hmmmm. Not based on what this little Robin has seen through his mask.

We were poor against Cardiff. Poor against Huddersfield. Poor against Blackpool. Nine points we should have had in the bag - if we’re making steady progress.

And if we’re making progress we would have played far better last night.

I guess my mask might be affecting my eye sight but frankly I see little tangible and sustained progress.

If you haven’t seen sustained progress on & most certainly off the pitch then quite frankly I don’t think you understand football very well . As for the   Robin mask, at least I’ll know who to avoid at games ?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Take as it is, their teams niggling and shithousery was awful.  They are packed full of loanies that flatter them.   I hated every minute of the last 20 mins of that game it's was horrible to watch.  They got what they wanted though the win after nicking a goal. 

Put it behind and move on. 

We've only got three loans, out of which only Marvellous is important for us

11 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Conceding the early goal shocked us, we didn’t recover, Luton were very good last night, had a great press and past it quick.  We got to grips with it in the second half.  Fitness of our team is top drawer.  Luton tired second half. 

Agree.  We started appallingly.  Poor decision making.  This is not an excuse, but appeared (on telly) that we were playing into a strongish wind and just couldn’t clear our lines with a long ball, whilst getting heavily pressed with the short stuff…it just grew into a catalogue of errors, poor decisions.  Still a bit of work to do to realise when it’s a case of battening down the hatches and just frustrate your opponents.

But the game plan when you’re 1-0 down is different to 0-0 and we really struggled.  I was so glad we went in at just 1-0.

We saw Luton find it harder second half into the wind, but they still had an out ball to Adebayo and Morris to relieve lack of territory.  We tried hard, put a lot of effort in, but the bit of quality was missing and we didn’t fashion many chances.  But I agree our fitness is good, we kept going.  That’s a bonus.

Luton weren’t hanging on in terms of a siege from us, but they were getting panicky, as were their fans…and time wasting hugely, cynical fouls, etc.  I hope Sam Bell learns to be a bit smarter when he’s gonna get whacked…either make sure you buy the foul or get a pointy elbow in the way (not a flailing one, just use them to protect you and make the opponent think twice).

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  We started appallingly.  Poor decision making.  This is not an excuse, but appeared (on telly) that we were playing into a strongish wind and just couldn’t clear our lines with a long ball, whilst getting heavily pressed with the short stuff…it just grew into a catalogue of errors, poor decisions.  Still a bit of work to do to realise when it’s a case of battening down the hatches and just frustrate your opponents.

But the game plan when you’re 1-0 down is different to 0-0 and we really struggled.  I was so glad we went in at just 1-0.

We saw Luton find it harder second half into the wind, but they still had an out ball to Adebayo and Morris to relieve lack of territory.  We tried hard, put a lot of effort in, but the bit of quality was missing and we didn’t fashion many chances.  But I agree our fitness is good, we kept going.  That’s a bonus.

Luton weren’t hanging on in terms of a siege from us, but they were getting panicky, as were their fans…and time wasting hugely, cynical fouls, etc.  I hope Sam Bell learns to be a bit smarter when he’s gonna get whacked…either make sure you buy the foul or get a pointy elbow in the way (not a flailing one, just use them to protect you and make the opponent think twice).

I wasn’t particularly aware of the wind Dave, either in the ground or outside. The rain was pretty unpleasant at times. I felt we just struggled with their pace and closing down and made rushed, poor decisions. Their game is quite high tempo and maybe that was a reason for them easing off second half - that and the fact that as you say our fitness is improving. 

• Like 2

On TV it had a feel of non league.

The small ground, the odd camera position, the camera man or woman wiping the lens every 5 mins, the clear sound of the home coaching staff constantly effin and blindin at their players, the ball apparently being kicked over the stand out of the stadium (?), the bad weather making for a physical long ball match, the weird stands with weird advertising boards. Remind you of anywhere else?

Through the smeared lens the pitch looked fine which is something I suppose. 

• Like 1

We seemed reluctant to boot it until we conceded a goal by giving the ball away. They were fitter stronger and faster and clearly wanted it more than our players did…who wanted to play at their own tempo. 

We were pony for the entire game but particularly in the first half. 

Edited by REDOXO
1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

On TV it had a feel of non league.

The small ground, the odd camera position, the camera man or woman wiping the lens every 5 mins, the clear sound of the home coaching staff constantly effin and blindin at their players, the ball apparently being kicked over the stand out of the stadium (?), the bad weather making for a physical long ball match, the weird stands with weird advertising boards. Remind you of anywhere else?

Through the smeared lens the pitch looked fine which is something I suppose. 

Exactly what you want as a player, get in to ‘flow’ and focus on your teams tactics instead of trying to counter the opposition. Don’t worry about anything else other than playing your game, only paying attention to your own groups tactics. That’s one negative I can say about Nige, as in, I expected him to be the same.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
8 hours ago, italian dave said:

Where’s @Olé?

I was there, I honestly couldn’t be arsed with a match report as so little happened I was convinced it was a lot of effort for something no one would read, given that not only did nothing happen first half but even by Kenilworth Road’s standards I had an abysmal view with no depth or visibility of the other end, while even scanning left and right was around a pillar.

I decided pretty quickly that trying to put my limited view of proceedings into words was going to be of no use to anyone and didn’t bother which was in keeping with most of the team on the night and that embarrassing kit. In any case these days it’s a bit of a chore simply for someone to scream in derision that I gave their favourite player a 5 instead of a 6. :whistle2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 5
5 hours ago, Olé said:

I was there, I honestly couldn’t be arsed with a match report as so little happened I was convinced it was a lot of effort for something no one would read, given that not only did nothing happen first half but even by Kenilworth Road’s standards I had an abysmal view with no depth or visibility of the other end, while even scanning left and right was around a pillar.

I decided pretty quickly that trying to put my limited view of proceedings into words was going to be of no use to anyone and didn’t bother which was in keeping with most of the team on the night and that embarrassing kit. In any case these days it’s a bit of a chore simply for someone to scream in derision that I gave their favourite player a 5 instead of a 6. :whistle2:

Fair comment Ole! I actually quite enjoyed the first half, but entirely down to enjoyment of watching Luton not City - and as they were kicking towards us we had a better view.

Don’t give up the reports though……always enjoy them after an away game.

And, you would have given anyone as much as a 5??? ?

• Like 1
On 16/03/2023 at 07:50, GrahamC said:

Apologies if that’s the case.

Re the last one I was trying to say that the reality here is far more dull, we were never in with a prayer of the playoffs, as some (like the bloke with the Robin mask), but not you, had suggested.

Likewise some were saying we could get drawn into the relegation fight, needed 52 points to stay up (!) or that we now won’t get another point.

That’s not happening either.

Slow but steady progress whilst drastically reducing our wage bill.

Hey Big G, don't worry about it. You're undoubtedly one of the sensible ones round here. 

Your assessment of our playoff chances was always right, but I think when the team go on an unbeaten run there's nothing wrong with getting a bit giddy that we could do something unlikely. Being a fan doesn't have to be completely rational!

We're clearly heading for a mid table finish and 90% of us will probably be satisfied with that given the circs. I always hope for an improvement on the previous season and we're well on track to do that. We've also had some really enjoyable moments this season and played good football. Can't ask for more. 

In the Luton game, I thought we were garbage in that first half, and worse than the sum of our very limited parts. Second half I thought we were decent so Nige and Curtis clearly got them back on track. 

• Thanks 1