IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

Sunday at Swansea with a 1230 kick off.  There is no pay on the day for away supporters.

We drew 1-1 at home at the end of October with something of a make-shift team, given injuries and illness among the squad.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-bristol-city-1-1-swansea-city/

Post-match NP said “In terms of endeavour, they were prepared to work hard for the team and on another day we would win that. The players went about it in really positive fashion. Performance-wise we were great and we were unlucky to concede – it was a fantastic strike to be fair which took a deflection – so it’s disappointing for us in that regard. Swansea are very accomplished in possession but on a day when our forwards are in their pomp we could have put them to bed early on. We were positive all game, even when we had to withstand long spells of Swansea passing the ball.”

The manager added: “People look at possession stats but we should have been out of sight in the first half. We’ve scored the goal and had four, what I would call, straightforward chances and we even had a couple in the second half that we could have done better with.” Pearson went on to praise Zak Vyner, George Tanner after his first start of the season and Cameron Pring – a late substitute for illness-hit Rob Atkinson, as well as the work-rate of midfielders Matty James and Alex Scott and the finishing of Conway.

Match preview from the OS: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/match-preview-swansea-city-a/

We also faced them in January in the FA Cup, highlights:

In February they signed keeper Andreas Sondergaard on a deal until the end of the season. The 22 year-old has been a free agent since he left Wolves in January. Jamie Paterson signed for them in August 2021 and Korey Smith also played for them.

Allegedly both them and us are interested in midfielder Killian Phillips, from Palace who could be available either on loan or on a permanent basis: https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bristol-city-and-swansea-city-linked-with-transfer-swoop-for-crystal-palace-midfielder-4063161

Our head-to-head record is won 30, drawn 23 and lost 23.

Last time out (Tuesday) they lost 2-1  away to Millwall and are five points worse off than us. A win would mean City would enter the international break having passed the 50-point mark. We finished last season with 55. Also worth pointing out at this stage last season, we went into the March international break 18th with 44 points.

Their home form, over the last six games, is the worse in the Championship.

NP’s first game in charge and victory (we won 3-1) was away to Swansea in February 2021: https://www.swanseacity.com/news/highlights-swansea-city-v-bristol-city-0

Ahead of Sunday’s game NP had this to say:

The M48 Severn bridge is closed https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/m48-severn-bridge-closed-weekend-8259277?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

They expect to welcome back Ollie Cooper to their squad after the Welshman missed the defeat to Millwall on Tuesday night due to a knock he sustained against Middlesbrough last weekend.

Joe Allen and Steven Benda remain absent through injury while Joel Latibeaudiere and Jay Fulton are both suspended. Head Coach Russell Martin has said that Andy Fisher will keep his place in goal despite his recent struggles, I say let’s hope he is fishing the ball out of the net +++++ on Sunday.

They have won just three of their last 21 league games and their manager is under pressure: https://planetswans.co.uk/2023/03/18/its-a-results-business-pressure-on-russ-ahead-of-bristol-city/

A few comments from their fans suggest they aren’t enjoying their season!

• There are only so many easy three points in the world and we seem to have them all available, come and get them.
  • Know your season is over but we need a couple of things from you. Pearson and his staff need to wind up Martin as much as possible, don't worry about the game, just constantly be at him all afternoon and tell him his hair is s**t but to believe in the process, he'll probably snap by half time and be sent off.
  • Do you mind if we play cricket instead? Your lads will enjoy the change and it would be better for us since we can go 100-0 ahead and keep some dignity when we still lose.
  • We are f**cking s**t. That’s about all you need to know.

Swansea stuff

The Gower Peninsula was designated the first Area of Outstanding Beauty in 1956 and is one of only five in Wales.

Swansea has been recently named as the cleanest city in Wales and is the second cleanest city in the whole of the UK.

Swansea was once called Sweins ey, which roughly translates as Swein’s island. It is not certain who Swein was, but legend has it that he was a Norseman who built a fort in Swansea in 100AD and used it as a base to raid the rest of Wales.

In 2004 the MET Office named Swansea as Britain’s wettest city.

From the late 18th century until well into the Victorian era, Swansea was nicknamed ‘Copperopolis’ due to the huge volume of the material manufactured in the city.

In 1823 the first ever human fossil was discovered near Swansea in the Gower Peninsula. The Red Lady of Paviland (who is actually a man) dates back over 33,000 years and was dyed by the red ochre in the surrounding rocks.

The phrase ‘Swansea Jack’ comes from a dog called Jack who saved 27 people from drowning the River Tawe during the seven years of his life (1930-1937).

Famous people from the city include poet Dylan Thomas, entertainer Sir Harry Secombe, actress Catherine Zeta-Jones, politician Michael Heseltine, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, footballers John Charles, Ivor Allchurch and John Hartson, actress Joanna Page, 18th-century dandy Beau Nash, broadcaster Wynford Vaughan-Thomas, artist Vernon Watkins, writers Russell T Davies and Iris Gower, and rock musician Spencer Davis.

Pubs

The Harvester at Morfa Parc, Morfa Shopping Park, Brunel Way, Bon-y-maen, Swansea SA1 7BP, https://www.harvester.co.uk/restaurants/wales/themorfaparcswansea#/

The Pumphouse, Pump House Quay, Maritime Quarter, Swansea, SA1 1TT, https://www.pumphousepubswansea.co.uk

No Sign Bar, 56 Wind Street, Swansea, SA1 1EG, https://nosignwinebar.com

The Bank Statement, 57-58 Wind Street, Swansea, SA1 1EP (Spoons) https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/wales/swansea/the-bank-statement-swansea?utm_source=google&utm_medium=maps&utm_campaign=gmb

4BC1DB0F-1630-458F-8AF4-F92FCBF2F1DC.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Robin 1

All 3 games this season against them have been 1-1 at 90 minutes & although they’re in poor form, I’d take that again tomorrow.

Looks like Tanner is feeling better so he should return & if James is available too, we are certainly stronger than midweek.

Be good to go into the international break having added another point to our tally.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, RedM said:

I've been staying here a couple of days and got to admit I am very envious of Swansea. Less than 30 minutes away they have stunning beaches, absolutely breathtaking, and we have Weston!

IMG_20230318_183749.jpg

IMG-20230318-WA0025.jpeg

IMG_20230318_123216.jpg

Some of my regular dog walking routes there. Unfortunately every home game is an away game for me. Still, only a 15 minute drive to tomorrow's game.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

For those of us not going and who are outside the RB area so can`t listen online there is commentary on BBC Cymru 2 via Sky on channel 0153. IIRC, the games aren`t broadcast in Welsh so the commentary should be in English.

I can live stream in OZ. Looking at the betting odds your safest money is on a draw. An away win is more of a possibility than a home win though. It will be tight. We keep saying this match will be the one where the tide turns or not in regard to a serious top ten final spot at the end of the season. This one today will be the determined factor and a guideline of where we are really at.

COYRedssss

13 hours ago, RedM said:

I've been staying here a couple of days and got to admit I am very envious of Swansea. Less than 30 minutes away they have stunning beaches, absolutely breathtaking, and we have Weston!

IMG_20230318_183749.jpg

IMG-20230318-WA0025.jpeg

IMG_20230318_123216.jpg

Why go to Swansea for a walk?  We’ve got Severn Beach

67352B3D-A175-435B-91E9-2F8D536E1711.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
53 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Having bought my tickets on Friday I have to pick up in Swansea. Anyone know where I go to collect?

From the OS 

"Ticket collections and duplicates will be available from the Ticket pod adjacent to the away turnstiles at the North Stand once the CATS coaches have arrived."

• Like 1

Feel like this might be a good game to judge City’s appetite to battle.  After Wednesday’s disappointing start to the game, and below par performance overall, the players have a chance to show it was a rare showing as they go up against Swansea for the 4th time this season.

I think Tanner will be back, so the back four picks itself.  Questions whether OTC might make his first start over King, or we might even play a front two after the little tweak second half v Luton.  Would be good to see Matty James back if fit.

At least we should be able to play on the counter as Swansea like to get their fullbacks into high positions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

Having bought my tickets on Friday I have to pick up in Swansea. Anyone know where I go to collect?

Should be a ticket booth opposite the Harvester pub, staffed by Jerry SLO. Our OS says "Ticket pod adjacent to away turnstiles "

Tickets available only after the CATS coaches arrive as they bringing them on the coach

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Why go to Swansea for a walk?  We’ve got Severn Beach

67352B3D-A175-435B-91E9-2F8D536E1711.jpeg

Apart from having no beach Severn beach was actually a good day out when I was a kid it had a boating lake mini golf an open air swimming pool and a fun fair hard to believe if you have been down there lately but true.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Feel like this might be a good game to judge City’s appetite to battle.  After Wednesday’s disappointing start to the game, and below par performance overall, the players have a chance to show it was a rare showing as they go up against Swansea for the 4th time this season.

I think Tanner will be back, so the back four picks itself.  Questions whether OTC might make his first start over King, or we might even play a front two after the little tweak second half v Luton.  Would be good to see Matty James back if fit.

At least we should be able to play on the counter as Swansea like to get their fullbacks into high positions.

As you say hopefully Tanner back, so Sykes can play right forward. I'd like to see OTC given a start, perfect time to see if he is good enough or not.

• Like 1