IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know nothing but think it would be extremely odd either of us not to offer him anything or to know that he’s going to reject it & then name him as captain today.

I would expect a three year deal will be offered & signed before the QPR game.

Just covering all bases.

Yeah I'm hoping is in the works...would be very odd as you say, so it should he all in hand given he would cost to replace and has really come on this season, decent age, versatile etc.

• Like 2
Just now, CityCiderEd said:

Bell needs to go on loan to a decent Lg1 side but not a struggling one. He's not ready for championship football but with a season long loan at a decent team could see him get some valuable experience and if he starts knocking the goals in could come back as a stronger player in all aspects of his game. 

Nige will be looking at these recent games and these sorts of decisions will be formed now, not when he finally gets round to it at the start of next season. Same with the likes of O'Leary and Vyner. Yes, O'leary has been given a contract but I bet it doesn't say "Guaranteed Starter next season" on it. Vyner hasn't even signed a Contract yet. If we were in a right dogfight, say three points ahead of Huddersfield and not 14 none of these things would be considered just yet (because many answers to questions really depend on what division you will be playing in) and the ONLY emphasis would be on picking up points in any manner we can from game to game. It is great that the club has had this bit of breathing space and can have an eye on next season.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just covering all bases.

Yeah I'm hoping is in the works...would be very odd as you say, so it should he all in hand given he would cost to replace and has really come on this season, decent age, versatile etc.

This is key for me. 
25 with over 100 Championship games, would cost a lot to replace. We need to add to the CBs and a new contract would seem an obvious move, I doubt he's on massive wages either.

• Like 2

O'Leary

Tanner, Wilson, Atkinson, Pring

Naismith, James, Williams

Benarous, Cornick, Mehmeti, Sykes

Bell, Conway, Weimann, Wells

Decisions:

Hakin and in a way Bajic?

Kalas, DaSilva

King

Slam dunks even if technically not ratified:

Vyner- Staying on surely.

Scott- Regrettably probably leaving although £25m may cushion the blow a bit.

That's where we are at right now with a couple of variables ie will Scott be loaned back.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
23 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Some people lack the perspective and maturity to take a defeat on the chin when we have a starting midfield of Taylor-Clark and King and a Central pairing of Pring and Vyner. Our injury list is ridiculous and denying that is the case simply because you are disappointed we have lost and don't know how to control your emotions is the main thing that is woeful and pathetic.

For me the injury and availability situation still needs looking at despite Pearson claiming it has massively improved. To me we have only improved from abysmal to poor in the overall fitness and availability area which is why we still find ourselves having to take days like today on the chin (or at least those of the fanbase that can without crying and abusing the club). 

Spot on. I wish some of the bed wetters could take this on board.

• Like 6

Swansea deserved it, much the better side in every aspect unfortunately. We were very poor, the passing was shite and the heads seemed to go after the second goal. 

OTC a positive from this game, he played very well - a shame others let him down.

Sorry to single out players, but Scott possibly had the worst game I've seen him play, he looked a bit jaded and is probably ready for a break from routine, if not a total break over the next two weeks. He is much better than today as everyone knows.

Vyner looked to be back to his old self unfortunately. He's been very good most of the season and not far off player of the season and he deserves a new contract, but today he was poor and resorted back to hopeless and over hit punts forward or passes to the opposition. 

O'Learys distribution and decision making with the ball is still a problem imo (has been for years) and I hope he can nail that in pre-season as he has done with coming off his line, where he has been excellent.

We were passive from the first minute, improved a bit during the second half, but nowhere near enough.

Easy game for Swansea, they probably enjoyed it.

A bad few days and the break has come at a good time, hopefully James, Conway, and Naismith will be ready after the break as they should make a difference, giving us a strong squad and a strong bench.

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Feels a bit like a mini version of 17/18 when the end of the cup run effectively proved to be the end of our season.

Yes, I am thinking this too. Felt so flat today, both fans and players. 

The break has come at the right time. I'm believing we might have Conway and Naismith back after which will at least add competition. 

31 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

So we didn't beat Blackpool , and have a clean sheet 3 games ago then ? So what you mean to say, was no win in 2 games, and no clean sheet in 2 games. 

Erm, whos talking about us. Thats Swansea’s form! ???

32 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Four clean sheets in the last 12:

26/1 WBA 3-0

11/2. Norwich 1-0

25/2 Hull 1-0

11/3 Blackpool 2-0

Again. Who’s talking about us?! FFS. ???

Edited by nickolas
4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Robins TV commentators wound me up more than the actual performance today. Seriously happy clapper deluded nonsense being spouted.

A dire performance imo, but injuries have kind of meant we cant wait for the season to end quick enough.

He's bloody awful. Not just a happy clapper but sounds a bit clueless and makes so many silly comments. 

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Some people lack the perspective and maturity to take a defeat on the chin when we have a starting midfield of Taylor-Clark and King and a Central pairing of Pring and Vyner. Our injury list is ridiculous and denying that is the case simply because you are disappointed we have lost and don't know how to control your emotions is the main thing that is woeful and pathetic.

For me the injury and availability situation still needs looking at despite Pearson claiming it has massively improved. To me we have only improved from abysmal to poor in the overall fitness and availability area which is why we still find ourselves having to take days like today on the chin (or at least those of the fanbase that can without crying and abusing the club). 

I agree with you with us being so unlucky to have so many key players out . Even so it did seem bizarre to pair king with TC , especially considering we knew there would be long periods of play where Swans would have the ball . Scott should of been paired with either of King or TC ,We have Sykes, Mehmeti, weimann ( maybe Cornick too?)  all who can play in the no.10 role.

I don't think much of our defence deserved much credit but boy am I glad Vyner didn't get injured, him and Scott have 37 and 38 appearances each. We definitely miss Pring playing at LB. 

Shame our luck with pens has gone back to normal.  

Edited by miketh2nd
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes, I am thinking this too. Felt so flat today, both fans and players. 

The break has come at the right time. I'm believing we might have Conway and Naismith back after which will at least add competition. 

The wind has gone out of our sails. The little cup run gave our season a shot in the arm and a confidence that extended to our league performances. But now we’re out, with little to play for and a threadbare squad, all the momentum has gone. Psychologically it’s understandable, but a bit of a shame nonetheless. It’s only March and it feels like we’re waiting for August already.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Robins TV commentators wound me up more than the actual performance today. Seriously happy clapper deluded nonsense being spouted.

Agreed. At 2-0 with 3 minutes of normal time left they were still talking about getting a point.

I want them to be biased but not completely dilussional.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

The wind has gone out of our sails. The little cup run gave our season a shot in the arm and a confidence that extended to our league performances. But now we’re out, with little to play for and a threadbare squad, all the momentum has gone. Psychologically it’s understandable, but a bit of a shame nonetheless. It’s only March and it feels like we’re waiting for August already.

I think the International break has come at a great time. Hopefully the players will be set a realistic target for the last eight games and with a few coming back we might get to see at least a few performances between now and the end of the season.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I agree with you with us being so unlucky to have so many key players out . Even so it did seem bizarre to pair king with TC , especially considering we knew there would be long periods of play where Swans would have the ball . Scott should of been paired with either of King or TC ,We have Sykes, Mehmeti, weimann ( maybe Cornick too?)  all who can play in the no.10 role.

I don't think much of our defence deserved much credit but boy am I glad Vyner didn't get injured, him and Scott have 37 and 38 appearances each. We definitely miss Pring playing at LB. 

Shame our luck with pens has gone back to normal.  

We certainly do miss Pring at left back. Three times Swansea picked out JD as the weakness in the air at the far post. On each occasion the Swansea player easily beat JD in the air and created a dangerous situation. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think the International break has come at a great time. Hopefully the players will be set a realistic target for the last eight games and with a few coming back we might get to see at least a few performances between now and the end of the season.

I can’t remember a season being effectively over quite as early as this one. Out of the cup, not going up, not going down and we’ve known it since early March.

It creates an apathy amongst everyone - players and fans - that psychologically is difficult to avoid, but it’s disappointing nonetheless.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Up to 7 or 8 need to be signed in the summer IMO, depending on who stays, renews of course- financials too.

Or we could give the exciting players coming through in the good under 21s side the chance to see if they can do it, maybe with 2 or 3 experienced signings to help them, 

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

I never doubted it. Hes never been good enough and just because hes an academy product does not mean the love-in for players from there means weve got to keep going with him. But hes got himself a nice new contract now so there we go. ?

He kept us in the game midweek. He's in the same average ballpark as Bentley at half the cost. That's really why he's our new number one.

34 minutes ago, Bizyer said:

Agreed. At 2-0 with 3 minutes of normal time left they were still talking about getting a point.

I want them to be biased but not completely dilussional.

I know. Completely delusional, almost seemed on purpose to wind fans up more tbh.

5 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

It works, the quality of presentation on Robin’s TV is only surpassed by the new kit.

96th minute and still on about getting 2 goals back to salvage the game. Talk about trying to patronise the fans, as if any of us were seriously thinking of a draw at that point. As amateur as our new kit

Well here we are again another disappointing season peters out to nothing for our long suffering fans, all the usual excuses will be trotted out that those who have supported the club for 50 odd years have heard countless times before, at best we will lose just Alex but believe me the way football seems to favour those that somehow reach the promised land and get relegated with parachute payments, next season  if we show any promise and a player stands out they will be poached, which will mean yet again we will lack the players to get us up, depressing as it sounds that is our future until parachute payments are stopped or they allow owners to spend what the hell they want to, until then we will have to sit on the side lines and watch teams like Norwich Burnley and  Bournemouth take away our better players to keep us in our place , depressing isn't it. 

Edited by pillred
  • Like 6
1 minute ago, pillred said:

Well here we are again another disappointing season peters out to nothing for our long suffering fans, all the usual excuses will be trotted out that we who have supported the club for 50 odd years have heard countless times, at best we will lose just Alex but believe me the way football seems to favour those that somehow reach the promised land and get relegated with parachute payments next season  if we show any promise and a player stands out they will be poached, which will mean yet again we will lack the players to get us up, depressing as it sounds that is our future until parachute payments are stopped or they allow owners to spend what the hell they want to, until then we will have to sit on the side lines and watch teams like Norwich Burnley and   Bournemouth take away our better players to keep us in our place , depressing isn't it. 

I know what you mean.

It’s a pretty boring cycle isn’t it?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Add into that the fact we are already playing in next season's home and third shirt, psychologically we are done with this season. 

All we have is to get players back, blood some youngsters and play for pride. Oh and of course the club have to get fans to buy Season Tickets.

• Like 1