IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Am I going mad or were we not 9 unbeaten recently? And now within a few weeks we're apparently absolute shit with a bunch of wasters who've given up?

Some of you are bloody miserable.

Not going mad at all... We're Bristol City and it wouldn't be right to fill you with optimism after a brilliant start to 2023. Because of the injuries to key players and Semenyo going we are just showing that we're just a lower to midtable side that won't go down (hopefully) and are a fair way off threatening the top 6. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

There's no middle ground with you, is there?

No I say it as it is if their good I congratulate em but last couple of games the makeshift 11 haven’t been good and look like they need this break I’d like to see us better last seasons 55 points then we can say we’re heading in right direction but today was poor Swansea have only won 3 of last 21 games we should be taking at least a point there 

Though in danger of being Capt Hindsight...........as soon as i saw the team we were putting out.....i visualised another Luton - Cardiff result.  And 2-0 it was.   Despite all the injuries, I do worry about Pearson;s tactical awareness, and I am not convinced of his long term benefit to City.  He has done a great job in streamlining the squad, cutting the wage bill and introducing academy players.....I just worry about his summer business and his ability to organise a winning and physically strong side.    But as he is going nowhere, I have no choice but to hope he turns us round next season, and produces an attack that delivers goals, and please please signs a goalscoring physically fit midfielder..........that we haven't had since Josh left??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Psychopomp said:

So we didn't beat Blackpool , and have a clean sheet 3 games ago then ? So what you mean to say, was no win in 2 games, and no clean sheet in 2 games. 

I think he’s referring to Swansea re no wins & clean sheets actually..

Still a lot of relentless negativity with absolutely no context on here (for balance).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Magger1 said:

No I say it as it is if their good I congratulate em but last couple of games the makeshift 11 haven’t been good and look like they need this break I’d like to see us better last seasons 55 points then we can say we’re heading in right direction but today was poor Swansea have only won 3 of last 21 games we should be taking at least a point there 

Why ‘should’ we?…and why shouldn’t Swansea expect to take all 3 points. 

Disappointing performance and result, but current Bristol City is far from its best version so it's not surprising to see the team struggle, even against out-of -form sides. We did quite well in previous matches against Swansea, today it was different.

Now a bit of deserved rest for most of the lads, with some time to recover players and sharpness. COYR!

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Am I going mad or were we not 9 unbeaten recently? And now within a few weeks we're apparently absolute shit with a bunch of wasters who've given up?

Some of you are bloody miserable.

Some people lack the perspective and maturity to take a defeat on the chin when we have a starting midfield of Taylor-Clark and King and a Central pairing of Pring and Vyner. Our injury list is ridiculous and denying that is the case simply because you are disappointed we have lost and don't know how to control your emotions is the main thing that is woeful and pathetic.

For me the injury and availability situation still needs looking at despite Pearson claiming it has massively improved. To me we have only improved from abysmal to poor in the overall fitness and availability area which is why we still find ourselves having to take days like today on the chin (or at least those of the fanbase that can without crying and abusing the club). 

• Like 13
  • Flames 3
1 minute ago, CityCiderEd said:

Not going mad at all... We're Bristol City and it wouldn't be right to fill you with optimism after a brilliant start to 2023. Because of the injuries to key players and Semenyo going we are just showing that we're just a lower to midtable side that won't go down (hopefully) and are a fair way off threatening the top 6. 

Yep. When we have everybody fit and firing we're a very decent team and have demonstrated that at various points this season.

What we haven't got is the depth to withstand multiple injuries, especially when they're affecting a couple of positions in particular, and results and performances reflect that.

• Like 6

I know we have injuries and the squad is tissue paper thin, but it does seem that Nige has decided we are safe from relegation so it’s time to experiment with personnel, especially some of the youngsters, if not the formation and set up. Who would have anticipated a midfield pairing of Andy King and OTC even 3 weeks ago?

There are clearly gaps that will either be filled by those returning from injury or that we need to buy in the summer, which includes defence, midfield and up front. But the wage bill has been reduced, we only had to sell Semenyo in January and we will probably only sell Scott in the summer. There is some room for optimism even if that seems hard to find after another loss on the other side of the bridge.

• Like 1

What I would also add is...

Stick Sykes into the CM with King and Scott.

Perhaps then Mehmeti on the left, then perm two of Weimann, Cornick, Wells, Bell.

This is a temporary idea until such time as James and others back. Sykes I am sure has played central at Oxford and can give something in a 3...no totally natural fit for a defensive midfielder however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I know we have injuries and the squad is tissue paper thin, but it does seem that Nige has decided we are safe from relegation so it’s time to experiment with personnel, especially some of the youngsters, if not the formation and set up. Who would have anticipated a midfield pairing of Andy King and OTC even 3 weeks ago?

There are clearly gaps that will either be filled by those returning from injury or that we need to buy in the summer, which includes defence, midfield and up front. But the wage bill has been reduced, we only had to sell Semenyo in January and we will probably only sell Scott in the summer. There is some room for optimism even if that seems hard to find after another loss on the other side of the bridge.

Up to 7 or 8 need to be signed in the summer IMO, depending on who stays, renews of course- financials too.

ie were Hakin, Kalas, DaSilva, King, Scott to go...any news on Vyner's new deal yet.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Just now, Dr Balls said:

Works both ways too. There are opportunities for the likes of OTC but also the likes of Bell have the rest of this season to prove they have what it takes to be part of the initial set-up next season or whether they need to go and get minutes elsewhere. Some will sink and some will swim but the time to find out is when points are not a totally desperate commodity.

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Vyner distribution not poor but perhaps not of the very high standard of a few weeks ago. 

Don't get me wrong...I'm a big Vyner fan. Always have been, even through the spells when it felt like there were about three of us! But he can pass better than he did today - and some of them were just giving it away. His pass success stats alway get distorted by those cross field passes that all our back 4 make, but - a couple of long cross field ones aside - he just didn't do it going forward for me today. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think getting Kane Wilson back on the pitch finally might be another but not too many of them.

Seems we were denied a clear penalty at 1-0 & had a goal chalked off for offside but we’re punchless at present.

Need Conway back & having Naismith & James back will certainly help.
As for Haikin I’m not sure we see him as a long term part of the squad, if he doesn’t get an opportunity with so few games left I won’t be surprised if we look elsewhere this summer.

Yeh we were awful but the pen decision should have gone our way.

Wilson has looked poor but like cornick it’s too early to say for sure he will flop.

1 minute ago, aa_bcfc said:

Wrong again. 

?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Don't get me wrong...I'm a big Vyner fan. Always have been, even through the spells when it felt like there were about three of us! But he can pass better than he did today - and some of them were just giving it away. His pass success stats alway get distorted by those cross field passes that all our back 4 make, but - a couple of long cross field ones aside - he just didn't do it going forward for me today. 

Seems others agree eh AA BCFC 

Edited by Alex_BCFC
2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yeh we were awful but the pen decision should have gone our way.

Wilson has looked poor but like cornick it’s too early to say for sure he will flop.

?

Kane Wilson has played 84 minutes of Championship football spread over 5 sub appearances, so I think I might just reserve judgement yet..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Works both ways too. There are opportunities for the likes of OTC but also the likes of Bell have the rest of this season to prove they have what it takes to be part of the initial set-up next season or whether they need to go and get minutes elsewhere. Some will sink and some will swim but the time to find out is when points are not a totally desperate commodity.

Bell needs to go on loan to a decent Lg1 side but not a struggling one. He's not ready for championship football but with a season long loan at a decent team could see him get some valuable experience and if he starts knocking the goals in could come back as a stronger player in all aspects of his game. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Up to 7 or 8 need to be signed in the summer IMO, depending on who stays, renews of course- financials too.

ie were Hakin, Kalas, DaSilva, King, Scott to go...any news on Vyner's new deal yet.

I know nothing but think it would be extremely odd either of us not to offer him anything or to know that he’s going to reject it & then name him as captain today.

I would expect a three year deal will be offered & signed before the QPR game.

• Like 4