IGNORED

Italy v England

Super

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

You know what I’m a Southgate fan, we’ve just won away against a team we usually struggle against, yet I am slightly disappointed. Found the second half opening up old wounds around ball retention, and the backs to the wall stuff disguises it a bit.

Still would’ve taken that before the start though

Yeah, we were sloppy right from the start of the second half and it built from there. Italy were obviously going to come out and give it a go, and it was like we weren't expecting it and then panicked once they got one back.

• Like 4

Terrific win away in Napoli especially down to 10 men when the game management was excellent to see the game out. Rice was was my MoM although the headlines will be all bout Harry becoming England’s top goalscorer.

Dion Dublin was pretty good behind the Mike and Gerrard and Cole’s assessment of the match was spot on.

Given it was a qualifying game it was very refreshing to see England actually play some thrilling football at last.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Well that was nervy. Amazing result in the circumstances, really hope Italy don’t qualify at all after Mancini’s card waving. Hope the Man City financial investigation finds something as well and he ends up in prison. Hope his car breaks down too.

After those antics the bastard needs to be made to eat pineapple on his pizza…….

• Haha 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Where can you pick up a copy of Corriere Dello Sport these days? @italian dave?

Well, there’s a kiosk of the Pineta Sachetti in Rome that I know has them!

Seriously, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen one in Bristol. 

But you can read it here

https://www.corrieredellosport.it/

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Well that was nervy. Amazing result in the circumstances, really hope Italy don’t qualify at all after Mancini’s card waving. Hope the Man City financial investigation finds something as well and he ends up in prison. Hope his car breaks down too.

He speaks well of you :laugh:.

• Robin 1

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yeah, we were sloppy right from the start of the second half and it built from there. Italy were obviously going to come out and give it a go, and it was like we weren't expecting it and then panicked once they got one back.

Odd wasn’t it. Seemed more a case of our three ‘creators’ just disappearing - Sako, Bellingham and Jack - than the Italian raising their game. Whether the Italians cut the supply or our creators just lost their way I’m unsure. Sako’s confidence just seemed to sap away. 

Anyhows, dug in well and Rice was immense. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Imagine if England were managed by Warnock, we’d have no players left on the pitch after 66 mins with this ref.

Good win England. Kane ‘the magnificent’. 

Ha ha! That’s very true….and Warnock’s head would have exploded! There’s a serious point there too though: with more refs like that Warnock wouldn’t be able to get away with his anti-football tactics. 

I’m fed up with referees at City games who do nothing about time wasting, or who speak to players and wave their watch in the air but then do nothing. I’d be very happy to have a ref who adopted his approach. I don’t think any of the bookings weren’t warranted. 

Yes, great win. Great first half and some really exciting football . Hanging on a bit at the end, although despite all the possession Italy had second half they had very little in the way of clear cut opportunities. It will confirm Southgate’s tendency to try to hang on to leads second half rather than to extend them. Whether that’s a good thing or not is debateable I guess! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha! That’s very true….and Warnock’s head would have exploded! There’s a serious point there too though: with more refs like that Warnock wouldn’t be able to get away with his anti-football tactics. 

I’m fed up with referees at City games who do nothing about time wasting, or who speak to players and wave their watch in the air but then do nothing. I’d be very happy to have a ref who adopted his approach. I don’t think any of the bookings weren’t warranted. 

Yes, great win. Great first half and some really exciting football . Hanging on a bit at the end, although despite all the possession Italy had second half they had very little in the way of clear cut opportunities. It will confirm Southgate’s tendency to try to hang on to leads second half rather than to extend them. Whether that’s a good thing or not is debateable I guess! 

Couldn’t agree more about the ref. As ever, it’s about consistency. Great if this is a new directive, applied throughout football … my suspicion though is it’s just a one-off by a ref that had a dislike of either time-wasting, England or both. Think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen someone booked for ignoring a ball that was left by a bench. 

I just hope the result doesn’t reinforce Southgate’s negativity. It’s a game of fine margins. Our keeper and defence are error prone, particularly concentration lapses, so once ahead to rely on ‘parking the bus’  as a playing strategy is a big gamble imo. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Odd wasn’t it. Seemed more a case of our three ‘creators’ just disappearing - Sako, Bellingham and Jack - than the Italian raising their game. Whether the Italians cut the supply or our creators just lost their way I’m unsure. Sako’s confidence just seemed to sap away. 

Anyhows, dug in well and Rice was immense. 

Rice was MOTM for me, he really needs to leave West Ham in the summer though and move to a club in the Champions League whether that be in this country or abroad IMO.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 5

Still the same old moans and groans but a team we never beat in their own back yard (60 years since the last time).

41 euro qualifiers unbeaten too. 

That is a massive win in a group that has the potential to be a real banana skin.

So happy for Kane, i think he’s a level above Rooney (who I loved) just a shame j was hoping to see him clinch it on Sunday as I’ll be there.

Rice is outstanding, a really talented lad and we’re lucky to have him.

22 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Speaking to someone who is a referee in work today and he says you cannot be booked twice for time wasting. If that’s right then makes sense why refs usually do it in the last 20 mins of a game. Maybe the laws need looking at if that’s true to make it possible.

I’m almost certain this isn’t true

The reason you see it more later in the game is just that’s when it’s most likely to happen.

17 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’m almost certain this isn’t true

The reason you see it more later in the game is just that’s when it’s most likely to happen.

It’s not true.

Whoever this mate is needs to quit refereeing ASAP.

If we are to assume you can only be booked once for a bookable offence, then that by logic means that if you get booked for fouling someone you have Carte Blanche to rock around the pitch kicking people for the rest of the game.

A bookable offence is a bookable offence. If you do it more than once it doesn’t make it less so!

@wayne allisons tongues - have a word with your mate ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

This generation of players absolutely **** on the 'Golden Generation'. It's great to see they're one unit now when playing for England.

They seem to genuinely love being at camp with each other and representing our country.

Ive been lucky enough to speak to 2 players in that photo, and both came across as just really nice guys and you could tell they absolutely loved the Euros journey and the crowds at Wembley.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s not true.

Whoever this mate is needs to quit refereeing ASAP.

If we are to assume you can only be booked once for a bookable offence, then that by logic means that if you get booked for fouling someone you have Carte Blanche to rock around the pitch kicking people for the rest of the game.

A bookable offence is a bookable offence. If you do it more than once it doesn’t make it less so!

@wayne allisons tongues - have a word with your mate ??

He says you can, but referees are told not do it.
It is an unwritten rule basically, and players know it.

He says imagine the outrage if a keeper was booked twice for time wasting and was sent off.
He would like it to happen and thinks it should but until someone sends someone off for 2 bookings for timewasting it will just carry on and it would be looked on very poorly by the refs assessor, refs are there to administer the laws and try to keep the game flowing and not  to  ruin it by needless cards. He refs at National league level at the moment and looking to move up to football league.