IGNORED

Football things you got wrong.

The turtle

In recent (ish) times I thought that JET would get his career back on track and play at a top club. :(

I thought Tinnion was going to be the Manager to take us to the promised land.

A non City one. I saw Gary Speed play on TV, and highlights, and could never understand why people rated him so highly to pay so much money for him across his career, then I saw him play live and was stunned by how good he was. He seemed to be a good Manager too, what a shame he was so troubled.

10 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Thought Steve Cottrell was a poor appointment and wouldn't get us anywhere.

Never been happier to be so wrong. 

Definitely wouldn't have been alone with that original reaction.  It was an appointment that polarised opinion just as much as the one that followed.  I thought it was a dreadful appointment

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

One word - Semenyo.

Underestimated him, based on some fairly undistinguished early outings. 

Lesson learned. 

I'm still not convinced he'll make it in the Prem.  He had one good half season for us. Until Christmas 2021 there was nothing really on show there.  Similarly didn't add a huge amount when returning from injury this season too unless it was coming off the bench.

59 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Kasey Palmer would be as good after we signed him as he was on loan. 

Come to think of it, I thought Tony Dinning would be alright as well :facepalm: (showing my age now!)

This was going to be mine as well. I don't necessarily think KP was Dinning level shit after we signed him - he just almost seemed to lose a bit of love for the game and was rarely utilised in a way he'd affect the game. By the end he'd gotten lazy with it (hence the impression to me that he'd lost the love).

Now Tomlin, however......now he most certainly was a Dinning of a signing.

I'll add another to the list.  I believed that Carl Hutchings was a phenomenal bargain at 60k or whatever it was.  Head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch when we played Brentford.  In the end it seems he bizarrely raised his game when playing against us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple have already been mentioned, I definitely got swept up in the hype that Marcus Stewart would be a big success, likewise saw Caulker as a future England player & Rose as someone who would drop through the leagues pretty quickly.

Bit more obscure, but saw Andrew Jordan play for the reserves or whatever the equivalent was back then & thought he’d have a great career, clearly he had his issues but I definitely thought he’d make it.

Matty Hill on the other hand I thought was too limited technically to make it, just showed what guts & total commitment can do, he had an excellent career, you don’t play for the likes of Wolves & Sheff U if you’re a mug.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The turtle said:

What opinions did you have on football have you had which turned out to be beyond wrong?

Mine was being adamant torres wouldn't get 15 goals for Liverpool in his first season in england. He blew me out the water.

Great thread, by the way.  Some good discussion followed. :clap:

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

you don’t play for the likes of Wolves & Sheff U if you’re a mug.

Well, Morgan Gibbs-White played for both, and if you take the M from Morgan and the U from United and add in the G from Gibbs

Congratulations, you've just rejected Dusty Bin! 

Ted.jpg

Edited by Bristol Rob

When Gary Johnson signed Evander Sno and Álvaro Saborío at the beginning of the 2009 - 10 season I thought they would be the catalyst to propel City to promotion. Unfortunately they both fizzled out 

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I think I'd have bet my life on Caulker playing for England and Danny Rose ending up in the lower leagues when they were here.

You weren't the only one!! 

Strange how their careers took the paths they did. Rose just looked awful for us.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Kasey Palmer would be as good after we signed him as he was on loan. 

Come to think of it, I thought Tony Dinning would be alright as well :facepalm: (showing my age now!)

Showing you age? You don’t know you’re born! Mine would be thinking that Alan Dicks would never get us promoted from Division 2 ?

Mind you, I was quite young at the time and probably easily swayed by the ‘Dicks Out’ chants! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

This is a potentially painful rabbithole to go down so early in the week! 

It is, because we signed a former England U-21 fullback from Bolton who didn't exactly set the world alight.

(Name withheld to reduce the pile-on that always follows any reference to this particular player).

That said, Dyche (I thought) was going to be epic and wasn't. 

Also, Gus Ceaser, one time Arsenal player and evidently 'off sick' the day they did 'what is an offside trap' at training. 

Edited by Bristol Rob

19 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'll add another to the list.  I believed that Carl Hutchings was a phenomenal bargain at 60k or whatever it was.  Head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch when we played Brentford.  In the end it seems he bizarrely raised his game when playing against us!

Thank you for reminding me of this. I went to that game with a friend who was a less regular attendee and he kept saying. "How is that guy at Brentford?" Obviously this was in normal times when they were shit, but at the end of the game we both agreed he should be signed immediately. :). 

I have to say he was nowhere near our worst signing, certainly for £60k but he never once played to the level he did that day against us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Thank you for reminding me of this. I went to that game with a friend who was a less regular attendee and he kept saying. "How is that guy at Brentford?" Obviously this was in normal times when they were shit, but at the end of the game we both agreed he should be signed immediately. :). 

I have to say he was nowhere near our worst signing, certainly for £60k but he never once played to the level he did that day against us.

My recollection was Hutchings cost £130k.

At Brentford he usually played on the right side of defence, Ward used him in centre mid, presumably for his energy & running, basically as a Carlton Palmer clone.

I’m not still altering what I always thought, a terrible player who seemed a stranger to the ball, he seemingly could never control it & so just did lots of running around.

He wasn’t the worst signing no, but he was very poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

Adam El Abd was one I thought could be what we needed, turns out he was not hard and a leader but a complete liability. I remember in the early part of Cotts' reign thinking if this is the type of player he's signing we are properly screwed. 

Turns out Cotterill and Burt were the last recruitment team to have even a semblance of a clue what a good player was. 

Yeah, because NP and Tins have done a dreadful job with no money! 

• Like 2

Weimann

I think I was just so bitter over Bobby Reid signing for Cardiff I wasn't willing to give him a chance. He's been a fantastic player for us over the years. The way I saw it, we replaced a near 20 season goal striker with an unexciting winger from Derby with fans content to see him go. Was quickly proved wrong as he had a great start to his first season with us. 

Also another one which I think most of us are guilty for, Lee Tomlin. I was definitely shouting for us to sign him after that loan spell. 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1

Same as others on here I was underwhelmed by Cotts's appointment.
I thought Semenyo was godawful when I first saw him play - got himself sent off vs Leeds (or it might have been Derby) I seem to remember
I thought Caulker would go on and become the next 'Tony Adams' and play at the very highest level
I thought Danny Rose was one of the worst, most useless players who ever donned the shirt - spent most of his time sat on his @rse wailing for a free kick. 
I thought Nick Carle was going to be brilliant and I was gutted when he went to Palarse
I thought Matt Smith would be a 'donkey' signing
I thought Aaron Wibraham was past it when we signed him

There are undoubtedly many other footballing mistakes I've made. Basically it seems I know very little about the game......... ?

• Like 3