IGNORED

Football things you got wrong.

The turtle

When I was about 3 or 4 I was watching a game on TV with Dad and the commentator announced a free kick.

Me- "What's that"  - Dad "It means no one can move until the ball is kicked" - Me "why" Dad "a player was offside".

I hadn't heard that expression before so in my childish innocence assumed a player had turned traitor and passed the ball to an opponent.  To make amends, his team were then awarded a free kick.

Hmm; fast forward six decades; if City were awarded a free kick every time one our players passed to an oppo, we'd be far more of an attacking threat.

• Haha 1

I'm a pessimistic type but I really thought we would beat Hull in the play off final also when we beat Man U in the league Cup I remember saying  to the bloke next to me that we are on the verge of something special here ?‍♂️ and I was sure that football was coming home when England played Italy in the final !!

Talking of things people got wrong…

I was looking at the stats on the ceiling of the South Stand at the last home match and I hadn’t appreciated that Billy Wedlock had a gap in his time with us. So I looked him up and he played a few games for us in 1900-01 but we rejected him as not being good enough. He then played semi-pro at Aberdare before we resigned him in 1905 and we then had our purple patch (promotion to Div 1, Div 1 runners-up, FA Cup runners-up) and he played 26 times for England. So whoever at City rejected Billy Wedlock at age 20…..! 

• Like 2

I was convinced that a defender would stop the Walshy shuffle (but they never did) 

I was sure we were getting to the league cup final in 1989 (until Walshy hit the post at the end of normal time; we lost in extra time)

I was convinced we would beat Rovers at Trumpton in 1990 and win the championship (but we lost 3-0 and also gave the championship to them)

I was sure we were going to beat Brighton in the play-off final in 2004 (and was gutted when we didn’t)

I thought the East End was the east end until they built the South Stand. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, eardun said:

I was convinced that a defender would stop the Walshy shuffle (but they never did) 

I was sure we were getting to the league cup final in 1989 (until Walshy hit the post at the end of normal time; we lost in extra time)

I was convinced we would beat Rovers at Trumpton in 1990 and win the championship (but we lost 3-0 and also gave the championship to them)

I was sure we were going to beat Brighton in the play-off final in 2004 (and was gutted when we didn’t)

I thought the East End was the east end until they built the South Stand. 

you and me both.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Yep....I said to Mrs RR he'll take us to the PL in two seasons. Went away on holiday and by the time I was back he had disappeared.

Ha, same! 

Got married on the day of the Millwall game, went to Rome on the Monday (early) morning for a week. Picked a paper up in the departure lounge a week later, to read that Millen was in charge after Coppell left. Had to read it about 3 times before I could take it in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Harry Kane =Nothing more than a one season wonder

Tin man will use his right foot

Can remember Kane playing against us for Millwall and just looked a big lump

Think he missed a header from about 6 yards and can remember thinking he was never going to make it, wonder what happened to him after that...

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

David Kelly kept doing so well against us, I was convinced we were going to sign him. Never happened.

Had we done so you can guess what would then have happened to his goalscoring!

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

When I was a young kid (6 or 7) we started playing football at primary school...................I heard the term "offside", I honestly thought it was a case of if you were a right back or right winger,, you couldn't stray to the left wing, etc !  Made sense to me . ?

Similarly, when I was at junior school I thought that right and left backs were not allowed to go over the half way line.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Similarly, when I was at junior school I thought that right and left backs were not allowed to go over the half way line.

You know what, I think that was "a thing"...... if I was a full back ,the teacher would say we had to stand on the respective corners of the pen area !   None of this  newfangled  over-lapping FBs for him !

• Like 1

Great thread, not sure how I’ve only just seen it.

I remember telling anyone who would listen that Terry Cooper had wasted £10k on a complete headless chicken when he signed Keith Curle. I had seen him play for Torquay & Rovers and wasn’t at all impressed.

That was one player I didn’t see going on to pull on an England shirt, T.C. had a cunning plan though…..