IGNORED

Football things you got wrong.

The turtle

27 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Weimann

I think I was just so bitter over Bobby Reid signing for Cardiff I wasn't willing to give him a chance. He's been a fantastic player for us over the years. The way I saw it, we replaced a near 20 season goal striker with an unexciting winger from Derby with fans content to see him go. Was quickly proved wrong as he had a great start to his first season with us. 

Also another one which I think most of us are guilty for, Lee Tomlin. I was definitely shouting for us to sign him after that loan spell. 

Great player was Tomlin. Just a shame he only displayed his potential on 29th February.

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Same as others on here I was underwhelmed by Cotts's appointment.

I was quite excited…because I’d learned from GJ’s appointment that you don’t need a big name, ex-player to get results.  I’d also seen his Cheltenham side a few times, and they weren’t the long ball team everyone said Cotts’ teams were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I was quite excited…because I’d learned from GJ’s appointment that you don’t need a big name, ex-player to get results.  I’d also seen his Cheltenham side a few times, and they weren’t the long ball team everyone said Cotts’ teams were.

Was similar to you Dave.

Know someone who played for him at Cheltenham who said he was an amazing manager. Gave you the info & confidence to be able to get the better of your opponent. 

Good manager.  That's all we ever need tbh. Our problem has been we're not great at appointing them and when we do, they were undermined one way or another...

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Genuinely thought when Coppell arrived followed by David James that we were geared up for a serious promotion push and we only had to turn up to beat Millwall on the opening day.

I was convinced Man City would beat us 6 or 7 nil all 3 times we’ve played them in recent years.

Aside from that many already mentioned but the two that really stand out for me are the Stewart and Bridges combo that never took off as expected and I NEVER thought the slags would get relegated to Non League going into that last day. I didn’t even glance at the scores until 16:45 walking back to my car at Morrisons and even then it was just an afterthought to look at L2 after seeing we were drawing with Crawley ?

• Like 1

First season back in the Championship this time around, I thought us challenging for promotion to the Prem was a given, with play offs being the minimum we’d achieve with that squad.  Still baffles and slightly upsets to this day how it went so so wrong tbh. What could’ve been with that team. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Genuinely thought when Coppell arrived followed by David James that we were geared up for a serious promotion push and we only had to turn up to beat Millwall on the opening day.

I was convinced Man City would beat us 6 or 7 nil all 3 times we’ve played them in recent years.

Aside from that many already mentioned but the two that really stand out for me are the Stewart and Bridges combo that never took off as expected and I NEVER thought the slags would get relegated to Non League going into that last day. I didn’t even glance at the scores until 16:45 walking back to my car at Morrisons and even then it was just an afterthought to look at L2 after seeing we were drawing with Crawley ?

I can't believe you're the only person who mentioned David James, especially with fanfare and VERY long OTIB thread at the time. I too thought Coppell and James was about to take us somewhere.

• Like 1

I really thought Simon Clist would go on to play at Championship level, or top end of League One. (Division 1 and 2 as it was then.) 

I also thought Ryan Harley would play at a higher level than he did, but he had a decent career on the whole. Just seen he's Assistant Manager at Notts County. 

I really thought Trundle would kick on with us. He was class at times though. Just not enough pace for this level. 

Outside of City: 

Thought Shevchenko would transition to Chelsea. They killed a few strikers during that period. 

I thought Rovers would eventually catch us up, get a new stadium, and have attendances over 10k regularly. Not sure what I was thinking. 

Loads of players hyped up by me because of FM and watching South American football on C4 in the early hours when I was kid. D'allesandro, Freddy Gurin and Diego particularly spring to mind. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Adam El Abd was one I thought could be what we needed, turns out he was not hard and a leader but a complete liability. I remember in the early part of Cotts' reign thinking if this is the type of player he's signing we are properly screwed. 

Turns out Cotterill and Burt were the last recruitment team to have even a semblance of a clue what a good player was. 

There are some names that should never be recalled.

Just now, Sleepy1968 said:

There are some names that should never be recalled.

I thought Gordon Owen was going to score that penalty at Wembley. 

I was underwhelmed by the appointment of Cotts - I believed at the time his teams played a dour brand of football, without really having anything to base this on. That title winning tea m he built was a joy to watch.

More recently, when England were 1-0 up against Italy in the Euros final I thought we were going to win.