IGNORED

Football things you got wrong.

The turtle

I hope this shows properly, but I present for the enjoyment of the thread my first ever OTIB post.

The thread was about Tyrone Barnett, a player who I now could not point out in a line-up of one, and in January 2014 I said: "Good signing and great to see some positive business being done."

My posts remain of this quality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

You know what, I think that was "a thing"...... if I was a full back ,the teacher would say we had to stand on the respective corners of the pen area !   None of this  newfangled  over-lapping FBs for him !

You are right. I was at school in the 60s, I was a left winger and scored the best goal I could ever have done, the ball came from the right, I drifted into the middle and hit a shot from the edge of the penalty area (bear in mind it was the old ball, heavy when wet, luckily it was a dry day) straight past the keeper into the far corner. All my team mates were happy as was I, until the teacher called me over and told me I was out of position and should stay on the left wing, he then gave the inside left (left sided striker to you youngsters) a massive rollocking for not being in the position to take the shot instead of me.  Glad times have changed for the better.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I hope this shows properly, but I present for the enjoyment of the thread my first ever OTIB post.

The thread was about Tyrone Barnett, a player who I now could not point out in a line-up of one, and in January 2014 I said: "Good signing and great to see some positive business being done."

My posts remain of this quality.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

11 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Christ he was an absolute Donkey!

Him, Assombalonga and Tomlin absolutely bullied us in the home game earlier that season before he signed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Yep, I bloody love a target man and he was arguably the "type" we needed at the time. 

But he was absolutely woeful! 

Must admit, that first January had me even ore concerned about Cotts as Manager.

Osbourne ✅️ (SOD signed him really)

El Abd ❌

Elliot ✅

Barnett❌

Patterson❌

Nosworthy❌

Nosworthy was really solid in fairness

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

Yep, I bloody love a target man and he was arguably the "type" we needed at the time. 

But he was absolutely woeful! 

Must admit, that first January had me even ore concerned about Cotts as Manager.

Osbourne ✅️ (SOD signed him really)

El Abd ❌

Elliot ✅

Barnett❌

Patterson❌

Nosworthy❌

I may be wrong - it was a long time ago - but wasn’t he the defender who suffered a horrific leg injury during our tour of Botswana?

I thought he had played well until then.

Actually, I think I may have mistaken the player - I’m pretty sure he signed from Watford?

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I may be wrong - it was a long time ago - but wasn’t he the defender who suffered a horrific leg injury during our tour of Botswana?

I thought he had played well until then.

Actually, I think I may have mistaken the player - I’m pretty sure he signed from Watford?

Nosworthy, ex-Watford / Sunderland

Osborne - was injured in Botswana.  Might well have started the season ahead of Flint!!

• Thanks 1

On 28/03/2023 at 15:36, Bazooka Joe said:

I bet many people though that VAR would ensure right decisions would always made (quickly) and eliminate any uncertainty or controversies.

Id be amazed if anyone thought that to be honest. It was obvious from the already existing debates that you can watch the same event a dozen times and people will have different conclusions.

Good thread. I'm sure I've had absolutely loads over the years. A few off the top of my head..

1. Cotterill - I was really against Cotterill's appointment at the time. I bought into the myth that he was a dinosaur who played poor football.
  2. McInnes -I thought Del McInnes would be a great success.
  3. Euro 2012 - for some reason, I thought England would be competitive (!?).
  4. Johnson - I kept patience with Johnson for a lot longer than most. In hindsight, he probably should've got the sack far earlier than he did.

These are the main 4 that came to mind.. lots more I'll think of I'm sure.