IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So you’re implying he wasn’t trying?

At least others are suggesting that perhaps the emotion / occasion caught up with him.

I watched him slow-run towards a loose ball that was subsequently claimed by a Burnley player who had been considerably further from it. It was then I knew Alex had already left the club. That was disappointing.  I didn't clap him off. I applauded the substitution. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I watched him slow-run towards a loose ball that was subsequently claimed by a Burnley player who had been considerably further from it. It was then I knew Alex had already left the club. That was disappointing.  I didn't clap him off. I applauded the substitution. 

Wow. What a dick. A generational talent and you can’t cut the kid some slack?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Some of our fans need a word with themselves. Same as the Guy behind me just giving Cornick abuse all game, absolute helmets.

Scott clearly knows he is off and why would he risk getting injured in a dead rubber game for us when I think the move he is going to have will likely change his life. He's a 19 year old kid and is going to make our club many millions. Good for him

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So you’re implying he wasn’t trying?

At least others are suggesting that perhaps the emotion / occasion caught up with him.

He's been off for a while Dave save for the odd shimmy and worldy pass.

Good luck to the lad, he'll do well at the top level but I'm not mourning his loss at all

Edited by headhunter
Typo correction
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Agree with those who said he saved his worst performance for his last home game for us. The pressure on him has been immense, not necessarily helped by some of the things the club has done, he’s not been at his best following his recent return from injury and then he’s up against the best team in the division, so in a way it shouldn’t have come as a surprise. That said the “assist” for their winner was still an absolute shocker and Nige did the right thing in taking him off. He then had a long tête-à-tête with him on the sidelines, which looked like good man-management on Nige’s part.

I take @Davefevs‘s point that in the first 20 minutes he was part of a reasonably effective press up front, along with Conway, Bell and Cornick, but in terms of actually having any possession in midfield we were sadly lacking which meant Scott was anonymous for large periods of the game. If he was also worried about getting injured again then that may also have affected whether or not he went in for a 50:50 challenge.

Looking ahead for Scott, even if he stayed at Championship level, and even more so assuming he goes to the Premier League this summer, the real challenge has to be more “end product”. His number of goals and assists this season is actually remarkably low for a supposedly attacking midfielder. That has to change. His “hero” is Jack Grealish and I would suggest that the similarities go beyond the way he wears his socks. Grealish had all the skills and talent but it’s only since his move to Manchester City that he has really added a significant number of goals. So in part it may be the player maturing but also the role he is being asked to play in a system that suits him. That is very likely going to be the case for Scott as well.

I wish Scott good luck going forward with his career and that includes having a much better performance for us against QPR, assuming Nige even picks him. Perhaps with the pressure off a bit he can just play and enjoy himself.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

Because he's usually a great player that means you can never point out he has a terrible game? Really? I think it's you that's the dick if you think that. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Dredd said:

Absolutely this. He's had a lot of attention in the last few weeks. Winning YPOTY, named in TOTY, named in the list of top young players around Europe, been linked with Brighton and Liverpool, all this has naturally had people discussing him over social media, in the print media, on the radio, and on top of that the club make it Alex Scott day and hand out posters around the ground. It's a LOT for a young kid to handle so I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack for today. If that is the last we see of him at the Gate then he will have wanted to sign off on better terms but at least the fans showed their appreciation and support at the end regardless of the last 90 mins

Yeah, exactly. One slightly off performance, if it happened to be his last, who cares. That doesn't define his time here in any way. He's a kid and he's been amazing to watch and hopefully everyone is excited to see what he goes on to next - even the 'why are we talking about ex-players on the forum?' crew. 

FWIW, if Brighton are in for him (who knows if true) then I think better to sell him there than anywhere else given how they are doing with player sales. He'd look great in that team, and if you could take 25m to Liverpool or 22m to Brighton, each with a 25% sell on (fantasy figures, I appreciate) then, purely from a financial point of view for City, Brighton every day. With the model they use, they have put themselves in such a strong position to attract young talent. 

(Compare and contrast Tottenham where the chairman refuses to sell a player that has given them everything for nearly a decade even though the money is good, the player is getting on, and they have a 'gentlemen's agreement' to let him go at a certain price.)

Anyway, all to say, pleasure watching him but if we get massive money then it is a real chance for us to push on, as well as for Alex. So all in all, think it's time to say goodbye and fingers crossed he gets the right move. Because if it all works out, he is going to be some player. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Scott deserves his move. I think we can all forgive him an off day..............I'm just glad it wasn't Cornick who played that pass.

I agree but. I won’t make a roper judgement on Cornick until he’s had a proper pre season with us & probably ten games into next season . However , at the moment he looks a really poor signing & how he’s getting in the side I’ll never know 

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So you completely forgot how brilliant he’s been for us then in the last two years. As a kid basically running our midfields  at times. Pathetic support grow up 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you completely forgot how brilliant he’s been for us then in the last two years. As a kid basically running our midfields  at times. Pathetic support grow up 

Pathetic response. He has been incredibly good and incredibly promising. It's his age that makes him the potential cash cow for us: more experience, top-class coaching, more capable team-mates and we may see something extremely special in the international arena. Totally right he won EFL Young Player of the Year.

I've never once criticised the lad during his time here, but it was very disappointing for fans that his last game at Ashton Gate was so lacklustre and marked by a massive cock-up of the sort that other players would be getting pelters for. It would've been nice to see him have a game at the top of his powers and wipe the smug grins off those Burnley fans.

Stating that doesn't mean I am slating him (or angry that he's leaving as one twit suggested). I think it's others who need to grow up and reflect on their need to kneejerk insult other posters who merely post on yesterday's game as they see it.

I felt deflated leaving Ashton Gate TBH. If others didn't that's fine. That isn't Alex Scott's fault, but his poor game was part of that sense of disappointment. We all know he's a lot better than what we saw yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Not sure if I am the only one, but somewhat nervous of the U20 World Cup. If he gets seriously crocked there a lot of our planning could go out the window. I will be very happy when it is over and Alex is still 100%!

I have a feeling a deal is already agreed, given the talk of potential incomings and some of the figures being quoted.

Good luck to the lad, no one can honestly say he doesn't deserve it.

• Like 1

I think NP was brave to play him at all.

Personally, I'd have wrapped him in cotton wool, told everyone he had a sniffly cold and kept him safe.

I don't think we've ever had a player whose transfer fee means so much to the immediate future of BCFC. If we are to have any chance to buy the missing jigsaw pieces then the answer is in the potential £25 million.

Alex Scott has already done more than enough to prove his worth to us as a player and to others as a transfer target.

I'd lock him in a soft play room until he's sold.

• Like 1

Yesterday was always going to be tricky, nothing to play for (and whatever people think about professional footballers always being up for it, the difference between our game and some of the others critical for promotion/relegation was stark in terms of atmosphere/intensity). Add to that it was against comfortably the best team in this league and Alex knows he’s going and lots of indicators that a deal is already done. So him not producing a barnstorming performance can’t be that surprising (or disappointing). 

Next season does look tough, but we’ve enough evidence that money/quality on paper often isn’t enough, could see some of the Prem stalwarts coming done struggling to cope. So a final clean up of the squad from pre NP days, together with the Alex money spent wisely and think we can mount a challenge. Key will be getting consistently good results against the average/poorer teams, something we’ve not managed for a while (since 75/76?!?) - we don’t need to destroy Everton home and away to push for the playoffs (but would be fun if we did). 

I think people are forgetting that Everton will need a significant rebuild as there are quite a few there who will be looking to desert the sinking ship and if Leicester, West Ham or Leeds come down it will be the same. They will all be fishing in the same player pond. Burnley walked the League because they were able to keep a largely settled squad with a couple of quality additions. In some ways Bournemouth looking like they will survive is better because they would have been in Burnley’s position.

Hopefully we will be in the next batch of clubs, because we are financially more stable and hopefully more money to spend, between say 4th and 12th where your final position depends on luck with injuries and referee decisions to a large extent. There are still many basket case clubs in our league who will be cutting costs next season or in the case of Luton and Millwall may find players have their heads turned by quadruple wages being offered.

We often have this conversation about an average league or a higher quality league yet we still manage mid to lower mid table finishes whatever the perceived quality and despite the big problems we’ve had to deal with for a good three seasons now.

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think people are forgetting that Everton will need a significant rebuild as there are quite a few there who will be looking to desert the sinking ship and if Leicester, West Ham or Leeds come down it will be the same. They will all be fishing in the same player pond. Burnley walked the League because they were able to keep a largely settled squad with a couple of quality additions. In some ways Bournemouth looking like they will survive is better because they would have been in Burnley’s position.

Hopefully we will be in the next batch of clubs, because we are financially more stable and hopefully more money to spend, between say 4th and 12th where your final position depends on luck with injuries and referee decisions to a large extent. There are still many basket case clubs in our league who will be cutting costs next season or in the case of Luton and Millwall may find players have their heads turned by quadruple wages being offered.

We often have this conversation about an average league or a higher quality league yet we still manage mid to lower mid table finishes whatever the perceived quality and despite the big problems we’ve had to deal with for a good three seasons now.

Didn’t Burnley sell or release 12 and sign about 15 including loans or am I going mad?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Pathetic response. He has been incredibly good and incredibly promising. It's his age that makes him the potential cash cow for us: more experience, top-class coaching, more capable team-mates and we may see something extremely special in the international arena. Totally right he won EFL Young Player of the Year.

I've never once criticised the lad during his time here, but it was very disappointing for fans that his last game at Ashton Gate was so lacklustre and marked by a massive cock-up of the sort that other players would be getting pelters for. It would've been nice to see him have a game at the top of his powers and wipe the smug grins off those Burnley fans.

Stating that doesn't mean I am slating him (or angry that he's leaving as one twit suggested). I think it's others who need to grow up and reflect on their need to kneejerk insult other posters who merely post on yesterday's game as they see it.

I felt deflated leaving Ashton Gate TBH. If others didn't that's fine. That isn't Alex Scott's fault, but his poor game was part of that sense of disappointment. We all know he's a lot better than what we saw yesterday. 

So you slag the lad off for a lacklustre performance . Have you considered what possibly might be going on in his head. For all we know clubs could of been in contact , had his head turned . He might be worried about getting injured before a big move . He’s 19 ffs . I was right , pathetic 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you slag the lad off for a lacklustre performance . Have you considered what possibly might be going on in his head. For all we know clubs could have been in contact , had his head turned . He might be worried about getting injured before a big move . He’s 19 ffs . I was right , pathetic 

Odd to believe that someone who who has an opinion differing from your own, on a platform which is all about opinions, is pathetic. 
IMHO Scotts performance yesterday was possibly his worst I’ve seen him play for us. At the game I was advocating for him to be replaced at ht as again, IMHO, he was playing like he didn’t want to be out there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you slag the lad off for a lacklustre performance . Have you considered what possibly might be going on in his head. For all we know clubs could of been in contact , had his head turned . He might be worried about getting injured before a big move . He’s 19 ffs . I was right , pathetic 

I guess we could say that about all sorts of players who others might be willing to "slag off" for poor performances.  Maybe if he had this inner turmoil happening it might've been wiser for Pearson not to play him? However, as I know this is ******* Pravda here and there are some things you must never, ever criticise, perhaps I can just go back to feeling disappointed with his performance in that game, eh?

Christ, what a belter. :facepalm:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess we could say that about all sorts of players who others might be willing to "slag off" for poor performances.  Maybe if he had this inner turmoil happening it might've been wiser for Pearson not to play him? However, as I know this is ******* Pravda here and there are some things you must never, ever criticise, perhaps I can just go back to feeling disappointed with his performance in that game, eh?

Christ, what a belter. :facepalm:

My view is that there is implication on here of him not trying.  You yourself used an example of him being favourite for a ball, but not getting there ahead of an opponent.  That happens all over the pitch from all players at times.  Being completely facetious, was Sam Bell not trying when he failed to carry out the team instruction to not let Benson come inside.  Not only did he let him come inside, he made no attempt to block the shot.  I don’t think anyone would accuse Sam of not trying, but some are happy to accuse Alex.

My view yesterday was that for 20-25 mins we worked really hard to press Burnley around their own box, and we were successful in forcing several areas.  Scott was part of that.  As a team we couldn’t maintain it, Burnley quite relentless in their patterns.  I saw no players “on the beach” yesterday, just a collective who at times struggled to contain a v.good opponent.  Pretty standard for a team to chase the ball a lot but then seem to have no ability / energy to retain it and do something with it when you do get the ball back.

The subs gave us the energy to have a go at them.  Yep, it could’ve been Scott subbed on 56 mins rather than 70.  We saw in 12 of that 14 minutes (arghhhh that pass) a Scott more involved again, helped by a re-energised bunch of teammates, and positionally a move away from the crowd when playing no10.

Being critical of Nige, yes I do sometimes, against a possession heavy opponent, Scott should’ve started alongside James not King.  It is always difficult to get him on the ball in these types of games when he plays no10.

An off day for Scott imho, as was it for Tanner too.  Even Pring had his hands full with Benson and looked very I’ll at ease one v one.

All about opinions though.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that there is implication on here of him not trying.  You yourself used an example of him being favourite for a ball, but not getting there ahead of an opponent.  That happens all over the pitch from all players at times.  Being completely facetious, was Sam Bell not trying when he failed to carry out the team instruction to not let Benson come inside.  Not only did he let him come inside, he made no attempt to block the shot.  I don’t think anyone would accuse Sam of not trying, but some are happy to accuse Alex.

My view yesterday was that for 20-25 mins we worked really hard to press Burnley around their own box, and we were successful in forcing several areas.  Scott was part of that.  As a team we couldn’t maintain it, Burnley quite relentless in their patterns.  I saw no players “on the beach” yesterday, just a collective who at times struggled to contain a v.good opponent.  Pretty standard for a team to chase the ball a lot but then seem to have no ability / energy to retain it and do something with it when you do get the ball back.

The subs gave us the energy to have a go at them.  Yep, it could’ve been Scott subbed on 56 mins rather than 70.  We saw in 12 of that 14 minutes (arghhhh that pass) a Scott more involved again, helped by a re-energised bunch of teammates, and positionally a move away from the crowd when playing no10.

Being critical of Nige, yes I do sometimes, against a possession heavy opponent, Scott should’ve started alongside James not King.  It is always difficult to get him on the ball in these types of games when he plays no10.

An off day for Scott imho, as was it for Tanner too.  Even Pring had his hands full with Benson and looked very I’ll at ease one v one.

Well said...criticism of a 19 year old, who has been outstanding and commited to the team for 2 seasons, is IMHO , completely out of order.  It just fickleness and lack of insight by some posters.  Alex had a poor game, by his high standards, so what?     He will be sorely missed IF? he goes......if he does....I hope it's Brighton?  Ha!     

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is it, Fevs, and what I object to is not others having a different take on matters than me, but getting insulted (not by you, natch) for having my own views.  It certainly was rife among the crowd filing out around me that it was a poor performance by Scott with him seeming to have mentally left our club already. I'm a competitive sort and I like to see us win even dead rubbers like yesterday, so it wasn't the last home game of the season I had wanted to watch.

Like everyone, I appreciate some great performances by the young man and wish him all the best wherever his career takes him. I don't think it'll be long before we find out where that will be.

(On a completely unrelated point, but seeing as you mentioned Benson, how on earth did an Angolan Belgian player end up with that name? Were his parents big fans of a certain 1980s American comedy?)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

(On a completely unrelated point, but seeing as you mentioned Benson, how on earth did an Angolan Belgian player end up with that name? Were his parents big fans of a certain 1980s American comedy?)

Apparently he has got a sister called Hedges