IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Worth considering he himself might push for a loan back. He's been very vocal about his want for lots of minutes season on season, he might be looking at Semenyo's early Bournemouth career as a warning of what a prem move can look like. 

Don't think professional athletes think like that. No problem with being realistic but I'm sure Alex will jump at the chance to try and compete for a place in a PL team straight away. He's got two seasons of Championship experience and excelled so far.

He won't be here next season. We'll receive bids for him and someone will meet our valuation, from his perspective why would he risk a move to the Premier League by staying here for another year? All it takes is his ACL popping and the opportunity may never present itself again.

13 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Worth considering he himself might push for a loan back. He's been very vocal about his want for lots of minutes season on season, he might be looking at Semenyo's early Bournemouth career as a warning of what a prem move can look like. 

He can push for it but anyone spending £25 million will want him in their squad and I would be amazed if that was then a deal breaker for him.

• Like 1

Who’s to say he moves somewhere and wants to prove himself straight away rather than come back here? Surely he would improve training with better players and coaches everyday, rather than come back here playing with and against the same set of players?

IMO if he goes he won’t come back

• Like 2

On 15/04/2023 at 13:42, Davefevs said:

I’m with @Sir Geoffon this one, more because I don’t think you spend that much then loan out.

Of course it would be great if he was loaned back, just don’t see it happening.

Imho, more likely he stays put than loaned back.

I can’t see the player being over motivated to get signed by a Prem club then loaned out to, once again, play in the Championship. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I can’t see the player being over motivated to get signed by a Prem club then loaned out to, once again, play in the Championship. 

Indeed. It’s pure fantasy from our fans. Lets take the fee (hopefully £25 million plus) wish him well and move on and try and use the funds to build for a play-off push next season.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Brighton is the one team who not only will pay good cash because they realise the value in a player, but they will play him, make him better and sell him for significant profit (to our benefit) when the bigger club come calling. It’s a perfect fit

They're claimed to be closed to securing the signing or Joao Pedro of Watford in a club record deal. I don't know if that impacts the probability of them bidding for Scott?

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

They're claimed to be closed to securing the signing or Joao Pedro of Watford in a club record deal. I don't know if that impacts the probability of them bidding for Scott?

If they get European football it won't you'd think

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

Brighton is the one team who not only will pay good cash because they realise the value in a player, but they will play him, make him better and sell him for significant profit (to our benefit) when the bigger club come calling. It’s a perfect fit

Would they sell him on at a significant profit though? Despite all the talk (hope?) that they'd move Webster on to our benefit it's never happened. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

If they get European football it won't you'd think

they have made so much from transfers (£63 million for Cucarella!) they can afford to buy both comfortably.  One of Caicedo or Mcallister is likely to be sold as well.  

he seems like exactly the sort of player they'd sign.  Young with improvement in him but with a really fierce footballing intelligence.  Adaptable.  I hope for his sake he goes there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BLRed said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-transfer-bristol-city-star-8395419

• Thanks 2

The move to Brighton is one many city fans would like to see him make I feel, although in doing so he would have to be willing to recognise this would damage his England chances as players from Brighton don’t get call up, just ask Webster and Dunk. To get a call up he’d be better sitting in the bench at a big club!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swede said:

I would be very surprised if any club paid £30M+ & the chances are that would be the fee, as there's so much interest in him so there's bound to be a bidding war, to loan him back to us.

Its such a life changing event for him that any loan back simply will not work. Its a measure of him that he's putting all this speculating to one side and is still performing consistently. That's also great man management from Nige.

I think a fresh start all round would be needed. Him at his new club and us moving on.

Barring the lucky 2,000 odd away fans at QPR, tomorrow represents probably the last time most of us will see him in a City shirt ever again, so enjoy.

We play QPR next week(8th May) and unfortunately because of QPRs league position only 1800 of us wil be fortunate to see us in a Bristol City shirt. 

17 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Plenty of players make a move and spend a little time settling in and acclimatising before they break through the next season. 

Scott is still young. Managers won’t want to throw him in too much and expect him to thrive every week, his game will need to be adapted from being a good player in a crap team to being a good player around good players. 

Semenyo’s early Bournemouth career could reflect Lloyd Kelly’s… handful of appearances the season he joined but then near enough ever present since (albeit with a couple of Championship seasons).

• Like 1

As Jerseybean has noted, double page spread on Scott in today’s Guardian. Great article- and may help to push up his price- but left me depressed. Obviously we have to be a selling club and talented young players have to have the chance to move up in terms of opportunity and salary, but the money coming in in the last few years (must  be up to £100m with Scott) hasn’t made us any better. Can’t get it out of my head where we would be today with Webster, Kelly, Reid, Brownhill, Semenyo, Scott.

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

28 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

As Jerseybean has noted, double page spread on Scott in today’s Guardian. Great article- and may help to push up his price- but left me depressed. Obviously we have to be a selling club and talented young players have to have the chance to move up in terms of opportunity and salary, but the money coming in in the last few years (must  be up to £100m with Scott) hasn’t made us any better. Can’t get it out of my head where we would be today with Webster, Kelly, Reid, Brownhill, Semenyo, Scott.

Worth noting that Ipswich may be the saying the same re:Webster sale…..Preston same Re:Brownhill. 

50 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Nice article but don't think it will do anything to his price. I really don't think top clubs are scouting based on Guardian articles about very well known talent. His value will be well discussed amongst those that determine these things.

On your other point - the money from sales helps us stay alive. We cannot invest 100% of sales as we need the profit on player sales to cover our astounding overhead costs. That keeps us within FFP limits and stops us getting points deductions. We're heading into our 9th consecutive Championship season, which is our best stint at this level since the 60s and 70s so we've stabilised as a fixture in the second tier. That is progress.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 13
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 2

46 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

When Kelly & Webster left us Semenyo was still out on loan at Newport & yet to experience his mediocre time at Sunderland. Scott was not even a professional & over 18 months away from his first league game, so this is rather a selective “let’s pick every player we’ve sold whose done very well” list.

Flint for instance was absolutely brilliant for us, we sold him for £7m, within a year the club that bought him from us sold him on at a massive loss.

Life really doesn’t work like that, we know that some of the money was spent badly & we accumulated too many players but this is just fantasy football stuff.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1