IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 minute ago, Searles said:

Of course, however when else has a 19 year old gone for £25 mil, no one has given an example.

Bellingham - but he was nearly 17 when he went to Dortmund.

But I agree, I can't see any EPL club paying 20m+ for Scott, maybe a German club would.

Interesting to see how this pans out.

• Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

If you account for inflation, Jarrod Bowen & James Maddison would have gone for around that amount if you consider both went for over £20m 3/5 years ago. 

But they didn’t? Would be interested to see a list. Edit - sorry misread post.

Edited by Searles

55 minutes ago, beaverface said:

If we sell AS, there I don't personally see the benefit of having him back on loan.

I'd prefer we use the fee to rebuild the entire team of players that belong to us, and will carry us up the league. No point having AS on loan for a season and delaying the inevitable.......

.........even if having Scott in the team, together with 3/4 good reinforcements, might just give us the edge and secure promotion next year?

53 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes I can’t see the point either

It might if it made the difference in the club wanting to buy him, Alex wanting to go to that club because it gave him another year playing first team football and not the risk of languishing on the bench or the U21s and that it might make a positive difference in the fee we obtain.

Are a few City fans worried that they/we see AS through understandably red tinted glasses and that as a result there is a danger we are expecting too much, in terms of a fee,  as and when he leaves?

It seems to me that fans of other clubs we play immediately see just how good he is - not just given his age, but when compared to the best players in the championship. I remember seeing him for the first time when he came on as a sub at Posh 18 months ago. It was a very physical game but even as a raw 17 year old he was not phased and you could see that he had something extra special about him. I've not seen anything like as much of him as many of you, but from what I have seen he does look to be a once in a generation talent and were he at a premier league club, I suspect he would be talked about in the same way that Grealish and Foden were at a similar age.

Press rumours of interest from top Premier League clubs are probably not wide of the mark and it is more than likely that interested clubs have followed Alex for some time and would have had him watched regularly. If so they know how good he is.

Ive read suggestions that clubs like spurs have already contacted the club about his availability and have perhaps already tabled bids. If so, and clubs like Liverpool, Wolves, Palace and WHam are also interested I reckon we are more likely than not to get top dollar for him as those clubs will not want to miss the chance to get him at what will probably be the best price he will be available for some time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Searles said:

A good example. Anymore? 

Ben Godfrey hardly played and prem football moved for £27m in 20/21. Jude Bellingham went to the Bundesleaga in 20/21 for £25m. Benrahma when from Brentford to West ham for £23m in 20/21 and although not over £25m there wasn't as much interest in him as in AS.

29 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Ben Godfrey hardly played and prem football moved for £27m in 20/21. Jude Bellingham went to the Bundesleaga in 20/21 for £25m. Benrahma when from Brentford to West ham for £23m in 20/21 and although not over £25m there wasn't as much interest in him as in AS.

Ben Godfrey played 30 games for Norwich in the prem prior to signing for Everton. The other 2 are good examples.

Similar example to Scott would be Keane Lewis-Potter who went for anywhere between £16-£20m last summer. (The range based on various articles but could be more with add ons...)

Worth noting however he only had 12 months left on contract (according to Wikipedia) and was about 12 months older. 

Using that as a benchmark I would say £25m is fair and I believe somebody will pay it this summer.

6 hours ago, Searles said:

Of course, however when else has a 19 year old gone for £25 mil, no one has given an example.

Because he’s gonna be the exception to the rule.

There are a number of factors:

• 2 years left on contract (unlike the Carvalho and Elliott examples, whose fees were in lieu of compo)
  • No desperation to sell, Semenyo means finances back in order 
  • amount of games played already in his short career
  • international age group experience, also not just a part of the squad, but a key player, usurping performances of the likes of Chuka, Delap, etc in some games, has raised his ofifile
  • his performances for City, a middling / struggling champ side
  • his position and his versatility
  • etc
  • etc

All paths lead to a “silly” fee being paid to acquire him.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Searles said:

Ben Godfrey played 30 games for Norwich in the prem prior to signing for Everton. The other 2 are good examples.

I'm not sure now what giving you all these examples has led to. Do you still think AS won't get bids of £25m+?

5 hours ago, Searles said:

I'm not sure now what giving you all these examples has led to. Do you still think AS won't get bids of £25m+?

11 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I have no idea. I can see us getting £25 mil including add ons, but history tells us clubs rarely pay big cash for championship players - Scott of course may be the exception.

I hope we get it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because he’s gonna be the exception to the rule.

There are a number of factors:

• 2 years left on contract (unlike the Carvalho and Elliott examples, whose fees were in lieu of compo)
  • No desperation to sell, Semenyo means finances back in order 
  • amount of games played already in his short career
  • international age group experience, also not just a part of the squad, but a key player, usurping performances of the likes of Chuka, Delap, etc in some games, has raised his ofifile
  • his performances for City, a middling / struggling champ side
  • his position and his versatility
  • etc
  • etc

All paths lead to a “silly” fee being paid to acquire him.

I hope so, I will believe it when I see it. I’m not convinced prem sides will fork out that kind of money for him - not with add ons on top. Of course I could be completely wrong, I hope I am.

• Like 1

Lots of reports from different outlets reporting the Liverpool interest. 

Probably all from one original source. 

The Man City game, Peps words, the continual media interest, can only be a good thing and may create a bidding war. 

I can actually see him making £30 million plus. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Searles said:

Bellingham is the closest example you will find.

The majority of players signed for big money from the championship have at least some premier league experience and normally arent teenagers.

Another close example is Ryan Sessegnon who was 19 and a championship player when spurs signed him. But Fulham had just been relegated so he had a year in the Premier league to his name.

Other than that you have to include inflation, bale and oxlade-chamberlain were both teenagers with no prem experience who were bought for around 15 million. But both of those were over a decade ago.

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

Lots of reports from different outlets reporting the Liverpool interest. 

Probably all from one original source. 

The Man City game, Peps words, the continual media interest, can only be a good thing and may create a bidding war. 

I can actually see him making £30 million plus. 

Liverpool are in desperate need of a midfield refresh. They are linked with Scott, Mac Allister and Mount. Which if Scott takes to the premier league as well as he has the championship, sounds like a pretty good midfield 3 imo.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

The liklihood is that a loan back would see us covering none of his wages. 

We would have arguably the most talented player in the division for nothing plus £25m on top of the £8m we've got left from Semenyo to invest in the squad over the next 3 years.

A loan back is an absolute no brainer. 

Pearson has been misconstrued when he's said he didn't want loan signings at the point he mentioned it. At that time we had barely two pound coins to rub together in our budget, so investing a significant proportion of that in a loan player made absolutely no sense. Now, with room to manoeuvre, we will be more likely to utilise that market if a player will significantly improve our chances of getting into the promotion race. I would be surprised if we didn't pick up a couple of loans next season to add to the 4 players we have already earmarked with the Semenyo money. 

Why would Liverpool (for example) pay £25 million for a player and loan him back. He already has two seasons of Championship experience. He would be better served training and learning day in day out from the likes of TAA, Thiago, Henderson,Van Dyke, etc. He would undoubtedly appear on the bench and make appearances in the Carabao cup. In 18 months he would / should be first team ready. Loan him back and he loses that 18 months experience and would have to integrate himself into the Liverpool First team, possibly with a new manager who may not fancy him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Talk here of a loan back arrangement personally can’t see it happening, but would be brilliant if it was possible: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-bristol-city-eye-particular-alex-scott-agreement-as-west-ham-and-liverpool-circle/

Yeah - it'd be brilliant but, if it were even a possibility, I think it would be a trade-off between keeping him for a year and getting the most money possible so it would depend which the club see as more crucial. If the club thought keeping him gave us a genuine shot of promotion then they could feel that might be worth giving up £10m or so but that would be a massive gamble. 

18 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Talk here of a loan back arrangement personally can’t see it happening, but would be brilliant if it was possible: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-bristol-city-eye-particular-alex-scott-agreement-as-west-ham-and-liverpool-circle/

The loanback speculation is pure fantasy football isn't it? It might work if your trying to pick up a player really early in his development at a bargain price (and are gambling a lot on his future potential) but surely not at £25m on a player who is ready to play in the PL. 

PS who's going down early to.orrow to pick up an Alex Scott poster? My money's on @Robbored

Edited by Sleepy1968
PS added
  • Haha 2

Now being linked with Brighton, which I’ve thought all along for many reasons is a very likely destination for him, but this talk of being loaned back is fanciful.

How many times has it actually ever happened?

Are we sure a player who has just had a career changing move would want to come back & do the same things all over again?

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Now being linked with Brighton, which I’ve thought all along for many reasons is a very likely destination for him, but this talk of being loaned back is fanciful.

How many times has it actually ever happened?

Are we sure a player who has just had a career changing move would want to come back & do the same things all over again?

I think those that are talking about loan backs are likely to be those that will struggle to see him go.

Unfortunately a loan back just isn't going to happen. He is ready for Premier League football.

• Like 3

I would be very surprised if any club paid £30M+ & the chances are that would be the fee, as there's so much interest in him so there's bound to be a bidding war, to loan him back to us.

Its such a life changing event for him that any loan back simply will not work. Its a measure of him that he's putting all this speculating to one side and is still performing consistently. That's also great man management from Nige.

I think a fresh start all round would be needed. Him at his new club and us moving on.

Barring the lucky 2,000 odd away fans at QPR, tomorrow represents probably the last time most of us will see him in a City shirt ever again, so enjoy.

• Like 1