IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What transfer fee is acceptable to Bristol City is the decision of the Lansdowns and Phil Alexander, not Nigel Pearson. 

As Nigel himself has said on a number of occasions so not much of a stick to beat him with. It doesn't mean he can't have an opinion though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

The club will have to protect its negotiating position. If every selling club thought we had loads of cash to spend, then prices would tend to firm up. If they know, or believe, that we cannot go overboard for other financial reasons, maybe we can still do reasonable business.

• Like 3

I dont get this "he is better than Bournemouth"

The worst thing for us is if he was bought by a top 4 team. We need/want him to go to a lower placrd team that will not be able to match his progressing ability as that means he will no doubt be sold on for a lot more than we sell him for and we get a huge sell on (Bolasie) 

Yes seeing a team like Bournemouth buying our player boils my iss but we stand to make more money long term than if we sold him to a top 4 team who he would never leave.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

I dont get this "he is better than Bournemouth"

The worst thing for us is if he was bought by a top 4 team. We need/want him to go to a lower placrd team that will not be able to match his progressing ability as that means he will no doubt be sold on for a lot more than we sell him for and we get a huge sell on (Bolasie) 

Yes seeing a team like Bournemouth buying our player boils my iss but we stand to make more money long term than if we sold him to a top 4 team who he would never leave.

Until he goes to Saudi for £300m

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And did they share the details of how any deal would be structured? Did they say the £25m would be guaranteed ?

Of course not. But I would be surprised if he went for less than that amount in total, even if it consists of several elements to the deal.

Personally I'm rather hoping he stays.

15 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Will interesting week full if rumours and speculation. It seems to be if he is going any buying club would want it done this week as would City to complete any new signings inwards. If he is in the team for Saturday then what would that indicate ?

Would mean we haven’t sold him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Out of interest what makes you believe he won't play Saturday?

Well on the assumption that a bid is made between now and Saturday, if it is then he won’t be in the squad. If there isn’t then I’ll imagine Nige will play him as he’s our best player. That article suggests the clubs have finally come to some sort of agreement and a bid is imminent. A lot of time between now and 3pm Saturday of course. Hopefully we do get to see him one more time but if Bournemouth have a bid accepted, no matter how long it takes for them to actually sign/announce him it would be right to assume the club won’t play him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Negan said:

Well on the assumption that a bid is made between now and Saturday, if it is then he won’t be in the squad. If there isn’t then I’ll imagine Nige will play him as he’s our best player. That article suggests the clubs have finally come to some sort of agreement and a bid is imminent. A lot of time between now and 3pm Saturday of course. Hopefully we do get to see him one more time but if Bournemouth have a bid accepted, no matter how long it takes for them to actually sign/announce him it would be right to assume the club won’t play him. 

I disagree. I think he would still play. We’re clear that we don’t ‘want’ to sell, but will if someone meets our valuation and Alex wants to go.

If personal terms etc aren’t sorted before then, I don’t think he’s a player we’d worry about his mental attitude, and I don’t think we’d be wrapping in cotton wool either because our position is as a reluctant seller. 

West Ham won’t pay £25m for Ward Prowse. 

I think can rule them out for Pring.

They would be offering circa £3m - £5m at best based on that.

I am sure we would value him at circa £10m 

Never going to happen

Just now, Better Red said:

West Ham won’t pay £25m for Ward Prowse. 

I think can rule them out for Pring.

They would be offering circa £3m - £5m at best based on that.

I am sure we would value him at circa £10m 

Never going to happen

Should be in Pring Chat

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

I dont think the club are asking for 25 million, they’re demanding 25 million. Thats the difference.

Agree. If we really wanted to sell, given Wolves’ obvious interest, I think we’d have come to a compromise solution by now with them. I don’t think we’d have played such hard ball and put him through a rigorous pre-season. We’d have shaved a bit off here a bit there and done the deal.

To run this saga as long as we have does show some real strength in the bargaining position. 

If we were keen sellers actually we’re getting to the stage of almost depleting our strength as the window of opportunity to sell closes in.

Same as Saints and Ward-Prowse, they’ve happily let West Ham walk away. That shows real strength on their part, because if they really wanted to sell then they are weeks away from West Ham offering a reduced fee as they know the pressure is back on saints to do the deal giving West Ham the upper strength in the position. 

To give it a poker analogy, you might bluff pre flop and post-flop, it’s reckless to start doing it on the turn and the river. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Agree. If we really wanted to sell, given Wolves’ obvious interest, I think we’d have come to a compromise solution by now with them. I don’t think we’d have played such hard ball and put him through a rigorous pre-season. We’d have shaved a bit off here a bit there and done the deal.

To run this saga as long as we have does show some real strength in the bargaining position. 

If we were keen sellers actually we’re getting to the stage of almost depleting our strength as the window of opportunity to sell closes in.

Same as Saints and Ward-Prowse, they’ve happily let West Ham walk away. That shows real strength on their part, because if they really wanted to sell then they are weeks away from West Ham offering a reduced fee as they know the pressure is back on saints to do the deal giving West Ham the upper strength in the position. 

To give it a poker analogy, you might bluff pre flop and post-flop, it’s reckless to start doing it on the turn and the river. 

Same with Brighton and Caicedo. Brighton have told Chelsea the price and that's 100 million. So unless they pay 100 million, they won't get him. Chelsea will eventually pay it.

The thing is, we don't need to sell to balance the books, we did that when we sold Semenyo. I think SL has a bit more personnel interest as Alex is from Guernsey, knows we have a real gem who despite his contract decreasing could still go up in value if this season goes well. NP, is desperate to keep him, he knows he will only get a percentage to re-invest, but will have his hands tied by the wage cap he has introduced, so in terms of playing staff its in his interest to keep Alex as he is judged by results. Alex, appears to have a good head on him, seems to really enjoy being a part of the club and the relationships with other players around him, so as long as he is prepared to be patient and not have his head turned by money, could see him happy to stay.

The biggest danger for the club and Alex is serious injury, that aside if Alex moves to the prem and finds he does not fit in as well or get the game time he wants, then may go off the radar and disappear into the prem also ran bit part players, where as here he can continue to grow and show everyone what he's got and what more he can add to his game.

Some very big decisions for both the club and Alex

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Same with Brighton and Caicedo. Brighton have told Chelsea the price and that's 100 million. So unless they pay 100 million, they won't get him. Chelsea will eventually pay it.

Agree. And until someone meets our valuation he’s our player and will play, otherwise it shows we are hoping to cash in and all the ‘poker face’ will have been futile. 

Also I’m sure the experts @Mr Popodopolous and @Davefevs will correct me, but whilst SL may want to sell, the reality is he’s still chucking a decent amount in this season to cover losses, Scott sale or not. We’ll have an immediate cash flow/P&L impact for first instalment but the rest is balance sheet creditors (I think, but could well be wrong).

Given reporting periods it means no difference to us if the same happens in August or in January. In January it’s much more a seller’s market so it might be worth the risk of injury / loss of form to get to that period.

What is pretty clear by now is there are only really two suitors - wolves and bmouth, with the potential for one or two other clubs coming in from desperation towards the end of the window. Neither of these genuine suitors I would gurss are particularly attractive to Alex Scott, hence not seeing any discontent from his side.

When you know there are only really two genuine buyers, and one of them can’t actually afford the deal anyway, I really do think he’s still going to be our player on 1 Sept, and we go on with a view to selling in January if we feel that’s the right footballing decision. 

SL covers the cost of Alex Scott yearly in his owner’s contributions. Even if we sell, given it’s in instalments and add ons, selling or not won’t push the needle too far on what he’s covering at the end of 2024 given we will spend something (despite what the club says).