IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s not risky at all. If they are relegated then he will shine and leave. 

And even if Bournemouth were to be relegated and Scott stayed there, that wouldn't mean he's back on par with us.

He'd be playing for a team who would be a favourite for automatic promotion, rather than us, a team who haven't really come close to a top 6 finish in a decade.

It would be like saying that Dewsbury-Hall is currently no better off at Leicester than he would be at Bristol City.

6 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Whilst I'm realistic enough to know we won't be spending crazy money, surely we're in the clear enough with FFP to bring in 1-2 players this summer? I can accept sales like this if we're proactive and use the money to move forward but if the club end up sitting on a lot of it, and don't then start retaining future stars, then this is quickly going to become tedious.

Noooooo this will be like catnip to @Mr Popodopolous !! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think the frustration is we have never really seen the club “go for it.” When have we had momentum and push on? Been here almost ten years and lucky enough my first season watching city was promotion and JPT. 

We had a young and hungry squad coming of massive success. Did we back that and make it stronger? No

We then solidified our position in the league for a couple seasons. Nothing wrong with that. 

Then we had a strong season where we flew through the first half of the year. We didn’t seem prepared for January and while we got players in, we ultimately fizzled out. 

That summer, we sold two top players for us but with that we strengthened a bit. We had a really good season and sustained it right the way through. Finished 8th I think? Good position to build on, right? Well we will just sell arguably our best player after only one season. Ok wasted the opportunity to get better with the money. 

Then few years of struggle after a pandemic. Ok, we sort the wage bill out. Bring through academy players. Start building a squad and a big part of that is this gem we developed. Financially we are ok. The squad hasn’t been this strong in years. He has two years left on his deal. What do we do? Sell our best player again going into what should be a season of success(whatever you think that is). 

For me, we sell at the wrong times for the most part. We also rarely get the right players with the money. I’d like to see us actually hold firm for once and say no, we want to see where this goes. 

Maybe we’ll be better for it down the road. That said just always feels like it is next season. 

To some extent the following.

2017-18...Record income and yet record losses. We held onto Flint, Bryan, Reid in January 2018 and to a lesser extent summer 2017- Flint especially had bids.

2019-20. Bentley, Kalas, Rowe, Szmodics Palmer- Williams latterly joined on a free.

Then latterly Nagy, Massengo.

Loans for Pereira, Afobe

Come January, Wells in.

Loans for Benkovic and Henriksen.

Think the plan was to go cor it spreading risk over 2 years post the big profit but then Covid changed that equation. Last two years we've been scrambling to avoid FFP sanctions IMO.

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think you're reading too much into it. When it comes to the media, Pearson is a master at using it to our advantage. 

No major decisions happen at this club without Pearson having a significant input.

That’s a good point. I’d be amazed if, in the 2.5 years Pearson has been here, he would tolerate a culture whereby he’s in the dark about a potential record sale. I just can’t imagine that happening. That’s not how he works and he’s not an appeaser. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think you're reading too much into it. When it comes to the media, Pearson is a master at using it to our advantage. 

No major decisions happen at this club without Pearson having a significant input.

Nobody knows for sure though. It’s all opinion, reading into things.  That’s part of the fun!  

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s a good point. I’d be amazed if, in the 2.5 years Pearson has been here, he would tolerate a culture whereby he’s in the dark about a potential record sale. I just can’t imagine that happening. That’s not how he works and he’s not an appeaser. 

People said that Pearson wouldn’t lie about an injury as well despite not knowing him. Anyone who thinks Scott was injured is in cloud cuckoo land 

A change of ownership can’t be too far away, there’s been noise on the subject for a while now.

I wonder if a potential buyer sees a club that’s just sold an academy player for £25m or a club that’s kept their best player to aim for the top as the most attractive selling point?

I’m guessing the former.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Nobody knows for sure though. It’s all opinion, reading into things.  That’s part of the fun!  

People said that Pearson wouldn’t lie about an injury as well despite not knowing him. Anyone who thinks Scott was injured is in cloud cuckoo land 

Agreed but I think that’s a separate point - in both instances Pearson is playing the game with the ultimate goal of creating the best outcome for the club.

• Like 3

I don't understand where we are on FFP now, to be honest. My understanding was that with the clear-out of big salaries and the sale of Semenyo and Scott, we would now have loads of room. 

In regards to wages our self imposed wage cap (which I think is good), could we not give potential players a signing on fee to make it a bit more appealing? Or does that not happen anymore. Please excuse my ignorance on it. 

@Mr Popodopolous @Davefevs

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed but I think that’s a separate point - in both instances Pearson is playing the game with the ultimate goal of creating the best outcome for the club.

Is distancing himself from the decision creating the best outcome for the club? If so, how? Not saying it isn’t…I just can’t think how it is! 

33 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Would prefer it was Bristol City in the Prem chasing players to sign like AS, not Bournemouth. This is a risky move for AS in my opinion. Chances are he will be back in the Championship next season playing against Brizzle City

I'm not so sure Luton And Sheff U are taking 2 places. They'll prob finish above Wolves Forest and Everton.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know that him, Tins and PA have a very close working relationship. Their offices are next door to each other. 

Obviously Pearson knows a bid has been accepted and he's gone down there for a medical, yet we're supposed to believe that during that conversation of being told he didn't query anything else? Nah. 

IF Pearson is telling the truth, which I doubt then it could only be down to the fact it was a matchday and him wanting to focus on that. 

Pearson said what he needed to say without giving the interviewer any opportunity to question him further. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To some extent the following.

2017-18...Record income and yet record losses. We held onto Flint, Bryan, Reid in January 2018 and to a lesser extent summer 2017- Flint especially had bids.

2019-20. Bentley, Kalas, Rowe, Szmodics Palmer- Williams latterly joined on a free.

Then latterly Nagy, Massengo.

Loans for Pereira, Afobe

Come January, Wells in.

Loans for Benkovic and Henriksen.

Think the plan was to go cor it spreading risk over 2 years post the big profit but then Covid changed that equation. Last two years we've been scrambling to avoid FFP sanctions IMO.

No I get most of the sales and all that and the situation we were in. Part of my frustration is I have seen money come in and us waste it. 

Now I think we have a plan and we have players identified. Yet I can’t imagine the backing will be even close to the same. Like SL holds the past situation on the current people in place.

I don’t want to see Scott go for 25m and buy 3 players for 5-8m on 20k a week. Too risky. I do hope we maybe look at one in that tier and add more like Knight and McRorie in that up to 2.5m range. I am just not sure it is going to happen. If thats the case just keep AS and have a go with the current squad plus Scott. We could easily function giving 4 year deals and selling off in the last year much like Peterborough. Maybe Scott is in that mould as they get daft money for their players too but at some point I think we should get more value out of the contracts we give out from an on the pitch perspective. Take a small hit on the financial side

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Brighton always sell their 'best' players and better the next season with new recruitment. Kal came to us after being Lutons best player and look what happened with them. Also you seem to neglect that Alex has his own aspirations, I'm not saying he would of been less professional but thats not the point. He clearly wants to play prem football like most players in the world and his head will have been set on that.

Good luck to Alex, arrived on a free as a boy. Smashed the last couple of seasons with us and grown into a very good player. Credit to him and our staff for basically creating £20+ million for our coffers and I'm sure a nice sell on if he progresses as we expect. Hope he smashes it!

A pearl of wisdom amongst the swine of disinformation.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep. If he said "Lansdown is giving me 20 million + to spend then clubs and players are going to have our pants down when we try to recruit. 

They will probably still try and do that knowing we've sold Scott but Pearson is trying to get it out there that we have no budget to spend so that clubs and players don't think we have money to throw around.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No I get most of the sales and all that and the situation we were in. Part of my frustration is I have seen money come in and us waste it. 

Now I think we have a plan and we have players identified. Yet I can’t imagine the backing will be even close to the same. Like SL holds the past situation on the current people in place.

I don’t want to see Scott go for 25m and buy 3 players for 5-8m on 20k a week. Too risky. I do hope we maybe look at one in that tier and add more like Knight and McRorie in that up to 2.5m range. I am just not sure it is going to happen. If thats the case just keep AS and have a go with the current squad plus Scott. We could easily function giving 4 year deals and selling off in the last year much like Peterborough. Maybe Scott is in that mould as they get daft money for their players too but at some point I think we should get more value out of the contracts we give out from an on the pitch perspective. Take a small hit on the financial side

Bryan and Reid, possibly Magnússon too were final year of contract when sold. Eliasson too?

Tough balancing act, summer 2021 many players left on a free. Baker, Walsh, Paterson, Weimann, Diedhiou- we renewed Baker and Weimann on much lesser wages but sadly Baker has to retire. Nagy also want for a nominal fee, was a bit homesick too wasn't he.

I'm disappointed to see Scott go, really wish him well- but hope we now back NP as far as reasonably possible.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

Would prefer it was Bristol City in the Prem chasing players to sign like AS, not Bournemouth. This is a risky move for AS in my opinion. Chances are he will be back in the Championship next season playing against Brizzle City

Why? If he plays well in the PL in a struggling team (assuming they struggle), another PL team could come in for him and he uses Bournemouth as a stepping stone in his career - whilst learning his trade and getting better money.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Exactly this IMO. We may well have to 'gamble' and hold on to our top players for an extra season at some point. 

However, that time should probably come once we've at least finished in the top 10, and a push for promotion looks like a realistic possibility.

We finished 14th last season. With or without Scott, the chance of us being promoted this season is very very small.

To gamble on promotion this season and cost ourselves £10m in Scott fees would seem pretty naive. 

As much as watching players AS is what football is all about .. I agree… think we are still 1/2 seasons away from seriously pushing for promotion.. so as painful as this is … we were never keeping him for more than one more year so I can deal with this. 

Happy if we add a couple of young exciting players in the knight/Roberts/mehmeti mould like we have been.. in Nige we trust 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bryan and Reid, possibly Magnússon too were final year of contract when sold. Eliasson too?

Tough balancing act, summer 2021 many players left on a free. Baker, Walsh, Paterson, Weimann, Diedhiou- we renewed Baker and Weimann on much lesser wages but sadly Baker has to retire. Nagy also want for a nominal fee, was a bit homesick too wasn't he.

I'm disappointed to see Scott go, really wish him well- but hope we now back NP as far as reasonably possible.

The last line is what I am getting at really. Hope to see us proper strengthen now. We have options in a lot of places but think we need to look at bettering them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

On that aspect you are completely wrong. When it comes to commanding your box the most important thing is that defenders know what you are going to do. I have it on the best authority that the defenders all preferred to play with Max rather than Bentley last season because they knew when he was coming and when he was staying.

True but he still makes bad decisions about when to come out and when to stay, almost every game. 

There was a completely unnecessary rush right to the edge of his area against Preston, 2nd half. Why any keeper needs to go beyond the penalty spot for high lofted crosses that are extremely unlikely to result in a direct attempt at goal is beyond me. 

So, while disappointed that he is inevitably leaving. Some thoughts.

1. There may be other clubs come in now for him, triggered by the first acceptable bid from Bournemouth.
  2. No doubt, this is a step backward, but as others have said, this money is important to the survival of BCFC and our ability to be financially sustainable.
  3. This is Pearson's last season, on his current deal. We also need to bear in mind that a new manager with a new philosophy will be coming in at the end of the year. I'm hoping that we're a properly managed football club these days, and we have a plan for this. 

Point 1 is conjecture. Points 2&3 we know about - any sensible owner would be aware of our risks and have mitigation plans in place. But this is Steve's club and he does what he likes.

7 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

This is Pearson's last season, on his current deal. We also need to bear in mind that a new manager with a new philosophy will be coming in at the end of the year. I'm hoping that we're a properly managed football club these days, and we have a plan for this.

Have I missed something in respect of this? Has he said that his deal won’t be extended?

11 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

So, while disappointed that he is inevitably leaving. Some thoughts.

1. There may be other clubs come in now for him, triggered by the first acceptable bid from Bournemouth.
  2. No doubt, this is a step backward, but as others have said, this money is important to the survival of BCFC and our ability to be financially sustainable.
  3. This is Pearson's last season, on his current deal. We also need to bear in mind that a new manager with a new philosophy will be coming in at the end of the year. I'm hoping that we're a properly managed football club these days, and we have a plan for this. 

Point 1 is conjecture. Points 2&3 we know about - any sensible owner would be aware of our risks and have mitigation plans in place. But this is Steve's club and he does what he likes.

There should be no change in philosophy, that’s been set by Tinnion. That’s the point of having a DOF/Sporting Director like him. He sets the style (within reason), and then a manager/HC comes in who fits that. Not rip it up and start all over again whenever we change managers like in the past 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Is distancing himself from the decision creating the best outcome for the club? If so, how? Not saying it isn’t…I just can’t think how it is! 

I imagine the strategy there, assuming it’s a play, is not to give the impression to other clubs that we’re going all out to spend big on replacements.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Statements like that are all smoke and mirrors though. If Pearson indicated we were planning to sell for the right offer, it lowers our bargaining power.

If we’d have kept him, we’d be gambling. The contract situation means he’s probably at his peak value we could sell him for right now - perhaps with the exception of this coming January if we were top 3 and things were tight. 

We’re not the only club in the world that sells our best players - it happens at every single level, even with the superclubs to an extent where only really Real Madrid can't be gazumped.

Is it likely we will replace Scott with a player who has as much potential? No. Is there a chance the squad can be strengthened from the funds (thus making us a better side)? Yes.

I am a bit surprised by the naivety on here by some - I guess it’s partly because it’s difficult for some to fathom Bournemouth being able to buy our best players. 

It’ll be a shame to lose him, but it’s a huge amount of money, potential add ons and improves our reputation as an academy and club.

It wasn’t that long ago people were bemoaning Southampton and even Cardiff dominating in youth development whilst we were producing Jennison Myrie-Williams, Dean Grubb and Craig Woodman. In the last few years, relatively speaking, we’ve outperformed most clubs in the country in that field. Success stories like Scott, and even Bryan/Reid, make us an attractive option for the best young talent.

I'm never surprised by the naivety by some on here. 

Then again it's a given that most football fans think they could do a better job of running their club than are their owners and/or managers!

Fans shouldnt take what pearson says too literally.

If he says we want x price - he's aways going to quote a higher price than we are willing to accept

Basic rule of negotiation, when selling, start high.

And Pearson saying we cant spend...... We have just sold a player for big money and clubs are going to know and ask for bigger money.

Another negotiation tactic - saying we arent able to spend much - lower the hype.

I fully expect we've got the deal we wanted and i fully expect us to sign 2 or 3 players for 1m-4m each.

• Like 12