IGNORED

Dasilva

Banjo Red

2 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Levels have improved since Xmas. Last few games he’s been fab. Technically brilliant and gifted,  I have no idea of his wages but probably in the top 3 or 4 at City.

The question I ask myself is Jay one of our top 3 or 4 players week in week out?  Sometimes he is but not been consistent enough for me.

We are in a different financial situation now and although JD is not a luxury player, Pring plus another could be a better option imo

Wouldn't argue with that.

Would love us to find a way for him to stay though.

And without knowing, I think that Nige would too.

• Like 1

He's a good player and will sadly go on and do well at another Championship club from 2023/24. Hopefully we get in a good replacement to compete with Pring at LB. 

Cannot stand the stigma about his height. Football has evolved since the 1980s and imo the best side ever (Barcelona 2008-2012) was depending on mainly smaller players due to their quality on the ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

He's a good player and will sadly go on and do well at another Championship club from 2023/24. Hopefully we get in a good replacement to compete with Pring at LB. 

Cannot stand the stigma about his height. Football has evolved since the 1980s and imo the best side ever (Barcelona 2008-2012) was depending on mainly smaller players due to their quality on the ball.

True. However football has also evolved since 2012. A lot.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True. However football has also evolved since 2012. A lot.

It has but the height thing I dunno, how well it holds still- different in different positions of course, in different Leagues but I don't see it as so defieice as say 30-40 years ago. Yeah football evolves and changes by the decade granted, can go in cycles too.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It has but the height thing I dunno, how well it holds still- different in different positions of course, in different Leagues but I don't see it as so defieice as say 30-40 years ago. Yeah football evolves and changes by the decade granted, can go in cycles too.

I didn't mention his height as a disadvantage tbf. However, yes he is even shorter than Marcelo or Dani Alves. And I think if you are only 1.7m then you need to be exceptional in other areas as a full back, and Jay isn't. 

Ironically he's decent defensively, it's going fwd where I think he lacks ability. 

Yesterday it stood out again how small our team is, I wonder if NP has an eye on a more 'Pring' like replacement .
TBF Jay has been close to, or MotM the last two games. Stoke great technically and progressing or holding possession. Yesterday I thought he was more aggressive . 
But next year, a fit squad and he doesn't get in the team. Add wages and there is still a question. Depends who, if anyone, Pearson has spotted as replacement.

42 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yesterday it stood out again how small our team is, I wonder if NP has an eye on a more 'Pring' like replacement .
TBF Jay has been close to, or MotM the last two games. Stoke great technically and progressing or holding possession. Yesterday I thought he was more aggressive . 
But next year, a fit squad and he doesn't get in the team. Add wages and there is still a question. Depends who, if anyone, Pearson has spotted as replacement.

I guess a lot depends on how NP is going to set up defensively next season. 

Will he go back to playing 3 CBs with ' wing backs', or keep to a 4 at the back with RB and LB? 

DaSilva isn't a LB. He's more suited to a wing back style. 

He's not physically suited to being a LB. We can all see that on match days. 

The analysis websites also point out his weaknesses and strengths to underline what we see most games. 

Weak at defensive contribution, Aerial duals, tackling, finishing. 

Strong at dribbling, holding onto the ball, crossing, passing. 

It's not just his height...but his physical presence in that position. Joe Bryan is only 3cm taller...but had physical presence in the position Jay plays. 

A Pring, Bryan type player on the left of the defence offers strength and presence defensively, but offer a great deal offensively as well. 

I can see NP looking for this type of player. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alexukhc said:

My fave player, sad to see I don’t think he will be here next year but I still think he’s fantastic

For a good while, Jay was one of the players I most enjoyed watching, but seemed to have lost that little explosive burst he had pre-shin splints injury / op.  The last couple of games is much more like “that” Jay.  Nice to see.

14 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

An expensive 2nd choice full back, even on reduced terms. He is a good player at this level and should be a first choice for a team at our level.

Unfortunately for him Pring is a better fit for us and we will want another up and coming player to be his backup when who will likely be on half his current wage.

A victim of Pring’s progress, that’s football.  As @Kid in the Riot says, one of the ones that’s not been offered a deal, probably because any realistic wage that we might offer / he might accept is too high for a “back-up”.  That’s football too.

Like O’Dowda last summer, he will be getting Championship offers over the summer, if not before / already.  Suits a Swansea, Coventry type side, allegedly it was Cov that were after him in January.

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I didn't mention his height as a disadvantage tbf. However, yes he is even shorter than Marcelo or Dani Alves. And I think if you are only 1.7m then you need to be exceptional in other areas as a full back, and Jay isn't. 

Ironically he's decent defensively, it's going fwd where I think he lacks ability. 

I agree re defensive part, always thought people used his lack of inches as bias against his defending.  Having said that, that little burst of pace isn’t still there imho.  Always thought he used his body well aerially too.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I guess a lot depends on how NP is going to set up defensively next season. 

Will he go back to playing 3 CBs with ' wing backs', or keep to a 4 at the back with RB and LB? 

DaSilva isn't a LB. He's more suited to a wing back style. 

He's not physically suited to being a LB. We can all see that on match days. 

The analysis websites also point out his weaknesses and strengths to underline what we see most games. 

Weak at defensive contribution, Aerial duals, tackling, finishing. 

Strong at dribbling, holding onto the ball, crossing, passing. 

It's not just his height...but his physical presence in that position. Joe Bryan is only 3cm taller...but had physical presence in the position Jay plays. 

A Pring, Bryan type player on the left of the defence offers strength and presence defensively, but offer a great deal offensively as well. 

I can see NP looking for this type of player. 

Something I’ve always disagreed with.  I always thought he struggled as a WB, 1) not physically able to get up and back and 2) changes his body angle for pass receipt.  I think he wants to have the play in front of him, not side-on.

• Like 1

I like his skill but I want more than that from a full back.  I want him to be able to defend headers, and bully players on the flanks.  Skill is a good attribute but I think people are missing the point that he's got some major holes in his game. 

A good midfielder he might make but I think I'm done with him at left full back. 

He linked up with Sam Bell well but a lot of Bells service came from the middle and right.  If you think Joe Bryan or Pring in that position a lot more service would have come from that flank with leading to a more compact 3 as Sam Bell was often wide left of the 3.  If that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For a good while, Jay was one of the players I most enjoyed watching, but seemed to have lost that little explosive burst he had pre-shin splints injury / op.  The last couple of games is much more like “that” Jay.  Nice to see.

A victim of Pring’s progress, that’s football.  As @Kid in the Riot

Something I’ve always disagreed with.  I always thought he struggled as a WB, 1) not physically able to get up and back and 2) changes his body angle for pass receipt.  I think he wants to have the play in front of him, not side-on.

That's why I put wing back in inverted commas Dave. I actually see his potential as a left sided midfielder. 

• Like 1

I think we would all love to see him over lapping more and getting to the by line however from a team point of view he would be running into space kind of 'reserved' for Bell. That out ball across from the right, into green space for Bell to run onto has looked an important play for us at the moment. Scares the right backs defending it I am sure. Love to see 1 on 1s, it drags cover across and creates space in the box.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

IMHO he’s better attacking rather than defending - he’s too ‘lightweight’. As someone earlier suggested I think he’d be better playing in midfield with an attacking role, rather than defence. 

Really? I think he’s not very good at all attacking. He can’t cross, does not run with the ball at pace and is very one footed.

What he is good at is close control, intricate play and one on one defending (Forss couldn’t get passed him at all yesterday).

He would suit a slow build possession based team, which is the complete opposite of us.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grifty said:

Really? I think he’s not very good at all attacking. He can’t cross, does not run with the ball at pace and is very one footed.

What he is good at is close control, intricate play and one on one defending (Forss couldn’t get passed him at all yesterday).

He would suit a slow build possession based team, which is the complete opposite of us.

I think he's one of the players who brings the ball forward the most.  Can't score for toffee and his crosses can be wayward, but he does at least run with speed enabling quick counter-breaks, getting the ball out of our danger zone and into the opposition's.  Rivalled by only Mehmeti for his dribbling ability. 

I like him. Opposing teams always try to pump it over his head, knowing his lack of stature, but he makes up for that in different ways.

8 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The absence of Atkinson is a big factor there, move Pring to LB & we suddenly look a taller defence.

• Like 2

Because of his height people do Dasilva's defending such an injustice.

Very rarely get's beat in a 1v1 situation and is positionally very, very good! Much better player in a back 4 than a back 5 and whilst I don't think he will be staying next year will definitely get a good Championship move.

Pring imo is a slightly better all around player, but in terms of just a 'defender' Dasilva edges it for me even with the height element. Pring can get caught ball watching and occasionally dives in whereas Dasilva is consistently solid albeit nowhere near as effective going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The absence of Atkinson is a big factor there, move Pring to LB & we suddenly look a taller defence.

Kind of my point Graham. The question of a new contract has many parts and one of those parts may be the size of our players. We constantly look smaller than the opposition , so new contract for DaSilva or new signing with a bit more height/strength/presence . On talent and recent form alone , maybe . But there are other things to question.

• Like 1

Is it just coincidence that his form has picked up as he approaches the end of his contract? It may be unfair but I've seen enough players suddenly improve at AG, get a new contract then coast. COD comes to mind.

I don't know JD so he may not be the type but I can't help being a bit cautious as he hasn't been a match for Pring who was a much cheaper option.