IGNORED

Future EFL TV coverage

phantom

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Obviously doesn’t include red button games, but this is probably indicative of us not fighting at the top or the bottom all season…

I’m sure @Never to the dark side can use it at the AGM though!

What happens when you are mid-table throughout the season.

I remember when we got to the playoff final at this level in 07/08 we seemed to be on Sky almost every week..

Just now, GrahamC said:

Leaving aside our own situation Coventry seem to have good cause for complaint here.

At least as good as Blackburn but on only a third as often.

I might be wrong, but I think there might be a couple of mitigating factors here:

- Early part of the season, there was no way of knowing if Cov home games were going to be on what with the shenanigans at the Ricoh Arena. If I was a broadcaster, I wouldn’t have planned a game until all that had shaken out (and things were re-established) which probably takes you a large chunk of the pre World Cup period out.

- Post World Cup, they’ve steadily climbed rather than been in the top six all season. Period when they transition from mid table to playoffs as opposed to in the mix they would have been less attractive, whereas Blackburn have been in the pack all season.

I can definitely see mitigants here.

2 hours ago, Super said:

In fairness SKY just want to show the games that create the most interest. They pay the money and the clubs take the money.

This does not paint us in a very good light, and I know this will not go down well but this season I have only left the gate maybe 5 or 6 times with a smile on my face having enjoyed the game and I'm biased so the average neutral punter would have been left pretty cold at most of our games, sorry but true. 

Edited by pillred
  • Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, pillred said:

This does not paint us in a very good light, and I know this will not go down well but this season I have only left the gate maybe 5 or 6 times with a smile on my face having enjoyed the game and I'm biased so the average neutral punter would have been left pretty cold at most of our games, sorry but true. 

And I thought you’d been so happy this season! You’d not mentioned how disappointed you are with NP and the team until now ?

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

• Admin

Running from season 2024/25 to season 2028/29, the arrangement will be made up of guaranteed payments of £895m and £40m in marketing benefits. In total, 1,059 EFL matches are set to be broadcast exclusively across existing Sky Sports channels or live via a Sky Sports streaming destination available on TV and mobile devices.  

Increased value and promotion 

The new deal represents a 50% increase on the value of the current rights agreement and will see significantly enhanced exposure for all EFL clubs provided through on-air and digital support from Sky Sports to promote EFL competitions, clubs, and community initiatives.  

Each season, Sky Sports will broadcast a minimum of:  

• 328 Sky Bet Championship matches 
  • 248 Sky Bet League One matches 
  • 248 Sky Bet League Two matches 
  • All 15 Play-Off matches
  • All 93 Carabao Cup matches
  • All 127 EFL Trophy matches 

Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown. Five matches will be shown from the Sky Bet Championship and supporters of Sky Bet League One and League Two teams will now benefit from greater coverage than ever before with five of their games being broadcast live. For the first time ever, fans will be also able to watch every match from the Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy. 

All opening, final day, and midweek fixtures in the Sky Bet EFL will be shown live as will all games played on Bank Holidays including Easter, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day alongside the matches played in Sky Bet League One & Two during international breaks. 

Increased notice for fans  

With the substantial increase in the number of live matches, Sky Sports and the EFL will introduce a new commitment for clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on TV selections. The defined notice periods will enable clubs and fans to plan further in advance and this will include the placement of all live matches selected for broadcast for the period to FA Cup 3rd Round before the start of the season. Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed. 

Article 48 to remain 

The new deal allows for ‘Article 48’, the blocked broadcast period between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturday afternoons to remain, meaning that main broadcast fixtures will be scheduled for outside of this time. Final fixture slots will be confirmed at a later date. 

Domestic Streaming

From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL’s domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.  

Enhanced production values and camera numbers  

The EFL and Sky Sports will continue to work together to innovate, seeking opportunities to improve coverage and take viewers closer to the action, while the EFL will be investing significantly in production infrastructure to enhance the viewing experience. Sky Sports will have a minimum of eight cameras for each game broadcast on existing channels. For matches available to stream, Sky commentary will be provided and a minimum of four cameras will be used at Championship and League One matches, and a minimum of two cameras in League Two. 

Commenting, Chief Executive of the EFL, Trevor Birch said:  

“After completing an extensive tender and negotiation process, this is a landmark broadcast deal for EFL clubs, establishing the League as a premium partner with a world-renowned broadcaster in Sky Sports.  

“The EFL is an iconic sports property and one of the biggest and best attended Leagues in European football. This increased investment and coverage from Sky Sports will showcase much more of our compelling match action to fans, while delivering record rights values as we seek to make our clubs sustainable at all levels. 

“For decades, Sky Sports has been a fantastic broadcast partner for both the EFL and English football, helping our sport grow through its sustained support, so we are delighted to announce this innovative agreement that combines the strength of an established brand with a modern streaming service for the benefit of EFL clubs, fans and Sky Sports alike. 

“With some 20 million attending Sky Bet EFL matches each season and significant interest in the League at home and abroad, we look forward to growing our collective fanbase further and we’d like to thank Sky Sports for its ongoing commitment to the clubs and the communities which this investment will directly support.”

Sky Sports Managing Director, Jonathan Licht said: 

“This is a ground-breaking deal for Sky and our long-standing partners, the EFL. We believe that fans of all 72 league clubs will benefit with increased coverage across all the leagues and competitions. With four times as many matches than we currently offer, we will capture even more of the excitement created by this unique league – and in a way that will be immediately accessible to millions of supporters. 

“This is the biggest deal in football, in terms of the number of matches being broadcast and we look forward to working with the EFL and its 72 member clubs to give fans the most entertaining viewing experience.  

“Between Sky and the league, we’re pleased to be able to make a commitment to fans that will ensure greater notice periods around the movement of matches for broadcast. There’ll also be greater parity in the number of times clubs are selected to be live on Sky Sports.

“The EFL stands alongside our key rightsholders we have partnered with for the rest of the decade, keeping Sky Sports as the number one destination for sports fans. We thank the EFL clubs and EFL board for their support and look forward to our future together.” 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, lenred said:

And I thought you’d been so happy this season! You’d not mentioned how disappointed you are with NP and the team until now ?

So you are happy are you with 15/16th place and losing 3 of the last 4 games? if you are then you're easily pleased, and no overall I'm not pleased with the way the season has gone as you well know as I posted a topic on the very theme.

Edited by pillred

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Each to their own but in defeat, draw and victory thete have been IMO quite a few enjoyable games at home.

Our intent has often been good, even if the execution at times has not. We at home have been quite a positive side this season, often anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

5 Championship and 5 spread across L1/2, Friday night Saturday lunchtime & teatime, Sunday and Monday Night?

Either way, a lot of disruption for travelling fans, even if they are given notice of the selected games.

I don't mind the odd Friday game, but generally it's as inconvenient as a midweek game when it comes to finishing work and getting to the match.

3 minutes ago, t_b said:

Reckon some will just double up tho, match choice style? Else they’ll be showing EFL games up against Premier league slots. 

Unless theyre pre-empting that they are likely to lose their stranglehold on Premier League matches whenever those bidding rights are up next? DAZN, Amazon,Netflix are all going to be going after them aggressively next time around as well as BT Sport so it's unlikely it will be as exclusively Sky based as it currently is.

If they were to have lost EFL now and then some or all of the Prem stuff it would have been a deathknell to Sky.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Yes, any streaming will be operated by Sky Sports. Though perhaps unclear what happens internationally. 

Unless there's an option for clubs to operate outside of it. That's how it works atm with iFollow. We opt to not use iFollow, but agree to match it's prices.

The FAQ says it will "effectively" replace iFollow and club streaming, but that leaves room for options.

And you're correct that international streaming might operate differently.

16 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Unless theyre pre-empting that they are likely to lose their stranglehold on Premier League matches whenever those bidding rights are up next? DAZN, Amazon,Netflix are all going to be going after them aggressively next time around as well as BT Sport so it's unlikely it will be as exclusively Sky based as it currently is.

If they were to have lost EFL now and then some or all of the Prem stuff it would have been a deathknell to Sky.

They’ll throw all the money in the world to keep PL. 

Five Championship televised games - plus the L1/2 games - won’t get anywhere near the audience that 2 big PL games can get in a weekend. Which means less sponsorship money. 

45 minutes ago, pillred said:

So you are happy are you with 15/16th place and losing 3 of the last 4 games? if you are then you're easily pleased, and no overall I'm not pleased with the way the season has gone as you well know as I posted a topic on the very theme.

The reasons for which have been done to death. Easily pleased? Certainly not. Understanding of the shit show we’ve been in because of serious issues caused by previous employees? Very much so…..Anyway. Apologies for fishing and have a lovely bank holiday weekend. 

• Like 1

Just now, petehinton said:

I genuinely don’t understand how this can all be crammed in.

10 games every weekend?!? 

5 championship games…so basically has to be probably 2x on Friday nights, 1x Saturday night and probably 2x Sunday lunchtime? Every single weekend?!

One on a Friday, lunchtime Saturday, 5.30 Saturday and two on a Sunday.

The other 5 games across the bottom two divisions probably at the same time.

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I genuinely don’t understand how this can all be crammed in.

10 games every weekend?!? 

5 championship games…so basically has to be probably 2x on Friday nights, 1x Saturday night and probably 2x Sunday lunchtime? Every single weekend?!

I imagine normal broadcast schedule then chuck a few Champ, League 1 and League 2 games per week on their streaming platform they'll use, I don't think there will be many more games actually televised on Sky Sports channels.

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, pillred said:

Personally, yeah I am very happy, the club is definitely going in the right direction. Staying up was the aim, we achieved it comfortably with a load of injuries when it was all coming together nicely. We have blooded a load of youngsters and haven't spent a lot whilst getting in huge fee for Semenyo and possibly a monster one for Scott. Conway, Pring, Bell are all exciting prospects along with multiple other players who have bought into what Pearson and the club are trying to do. 

It must be terrible for you to support a club and not be able to see the bigger picture, and be disappointed the majority of the time whilst actually watching them. I don't know if you do realise but Ashton and LJ pretty much ruined this club for the last few years, and Pearson has came in and done an exceptional job in the circumstances to have us where we are. 

Also, nice of you to just pick out those 3 games, Burnley (runaway Champions), Sheffield United (runners up) and Watford (a basket case granted, with a squad costing how much exactly). Did we get battered in all of those games? Honest opinion?

If I was you I would go and get a new hobby, as this one doesn't seem a very good fit.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

On 29/04/2023 at 00:19, Harry said:

See this is something I never really understood. 
Let’s say West Brom vs Sunderland attracts an viewership of 100,000, whilst Rotherham vs Wigan only attracts 10,000. 

Ok fine. There’s 90,000 less people watching it. 

But…. 

Those 90,000 people who didn’t watch it are STILL paying their subscription. 
I doubt 90,000 people cancelled their Sky package because they had to watch Rotherham v Wigan instead. 

So ultimately, regardless of the viewing figures, Sky have still banked the same amount of money from the subscribers. 

Apparently Sky showed 138 EFL matches this season. 
In my opinion, and to ensure more equity in the money given to clubs, they should be obliged to show every team 5 times between August and February. And then from March onwards they can select games with jeopardy at either top or bottom (ie games with something riding on it). 

But that’s 90,000 people that’ll consider not renewing next year as they aren’t on that often