IGNORED

Future EFL TV coverage

phantom

42 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I support the club's seeking a new broadcaster to he honest. The EFL coverage in general is below par, BT offer better insight into National League games.

I think, in general, Sky do a decent job of covering the EFL from a live matches point of view.

It was a shame that Quest lost the highlights, as they did a grand job, though the ITV4 programme is more or less identical, just missing the one great plus point of Colin Murray.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I support the club's seeking a new broadcaster to he honest. The EFL coverage in general is below par, BT offer better insight into National League games.

BT sport or TNT sport as it will be called after July should bid for it theyve done fantastic coverage of the national League. 

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Street red said:

BT sport or TNT sport as it will be called after July should bid for it theyve done fantastic coverage of the national League. 

Sky have already been put forward as preferred bidder. There isn’t another broadcaster who will get it.

The EFL meeting will be to decide the details and - probably - allow all games to be streamed domestically instead of just selected games.

43 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Sky Red Button is a good option for me, particularly if Sky make it recordable. It means even on a busy day I can watch the playback once I have ownership of the remote, past 9pm.

I think they recently re-enabled it…some have started appearing in the planner, allowing you to record it.

Pretty sure I did that recently, thinking I wouldn’t be able to watch live, but then could, so deleted the recording.

But you’ve got to do it via planner.

1 hour ago, t_b said:

Sky have already been put forward as preferred bidder. There isn’t another broadcaster who will get it.

The EFL meeting will be to decide the details and - probably - allow all games to be streamed domestically instead of just selected games.

That's how I read it too.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I think, in general, Sky do a decent job of covering the EFL from a live matches point of view.

It was a shame that Quest lost the highlights, as they did a grand job, though the ITV4 programme is more or less identical, just missing the one great plus point of Colin Murray.

Yep...I really miss Colin Murray's wit and insight, he really knew his subject, and he is a great presenter.

• Like 2

I'd prefer it if Sky didn't pick 10 teams that they were then going  to cover 75 % of their games. Forest will be a big embarrassment for them if they get relegated.

I'd also like the BBC as our national broadcaster to go back to covering every team in the Premier and  English football league during the season and get their heads out of the PL backsides!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Midred said:

I'd prefer it if Sky didn't pick 10 teams that they were then going  to cover 75 % of their games. Forest will be a big embarrassment for them if they get relegated.

I'd also like the BBC as our national broadcaster to go back to covering every team in the Premier and  English football league during the season and get their heads out of the PL backsides!

The BBC can only cover what they have the rights to. And currently the only EFL rights they hold are for local radio, they can't do TV highlights or national radio commentary.

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The BBC can only cover what they have the rights to. And currently the only EFL rights they hold are for local radio, they can't do TV highlights or national radio commentary.

I'm still mad from they linked up with Sky to cover the PL in competition with ITV. All they have got from that deal is to show the highlights! Almost certainly transmission rights were easier pre 1992!

49 minutes ago, Midred said:

You know Everton, and whoever else comes down will be on every week. 

• Sad 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

They have added a million viewers a week to Countdown since he took over the chair.

I didn't even notice him on the show :fear:

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I like Skys coverage, but I find their match choices absolutely woeful. So many derbys missed so they can show a ex Prem team in a half empty ground on a Saturday lunch time. 

Sadly viewing figures dictate, rather than potentially the better fixture 

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

I didn't even notice him on the show :fear:

I'm amazed rhat sky could predict that there are as many fanatical viewers in Nottingham than there are in many of the other towns/cities in the UK?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

See this is something I never really understood. 
Let’s say West Brom vs Sunderland attracts an viewership of 100,000, whilst Rotherham vs Wigan only attracts 10,000. 

Ok fine. There’s 90,000 less people watching it. 

But…. 

Those 90,000 people who didn’t watch it are STILL paying their subscription. 
I doubt 90,000 people cancelled their Sky package because they had to watch Rotherham v Wigan instead. 

So ultimately, regardless of the viewing figures, Sky have still banked the same amount of money from the subscribers. 

Apparently Sky showed 138 EFL matches this season. 
In my opinion, and to ensure more equity in the money given to clubs, they should be obliged to show every team 5 times between August and February. And then from March onwards they can select games with jeopardy at either top or bottom (ie games with something riding on it). 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

See this is something I never really understood. 
Let’s say West Brom vs Sunderland attracts an viewership of 100,000, whilst Rotherham vs Wigan only attracts 10,000. 

Ok fine. There’s 90,000 less people watching it. 

But…. 

Those 90,000 people who didn’t watch it are STILL paying their subscription. 
I doubt 90,000 people cancelled their Sky package because they had to watch Rotherham v Wigan instead. 

So ultimately, regardless of the viewing figures, Sky have still banked the same amount of money from the subscribers. 

Apparently Sky showed 138 EFL matches this season. 
In my opinion, and to ensure more equity in the money given to clubs, they should be obliged to show every team 5 times between August and February. And then from March onwards they can select games with jeopardy at either top or bottom (ie games with something riding on it). 

You could say the same thing about the FA Cup,put your money on it that the bbc will show Man United Liverpool or Man City dispite the whole country paying for it 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry advertising is why they choose the games more people are gonna tune in for.

But again I’m sure the advertising contract is paid and agreed up front. For example let’s say Gillette, they must pay x amount per annum to be shown x number of times across x number of EFL matches. 
So surely it’s already paid for before the fixtures are even known. 
I doubt they get a rebate if it ended up being Rotherham v Wigan in the playoff - which they always have to show. Advertisers couldn’t turn around and say “nah not paying for that because we expected 2 better teams to be in the playoffs” 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

But again I’m sure the advertising contract is paid and agreed up front. For example let’s say Gillette, they must pay x amount per annum to be shown x number of times across x number of EFL matches. 
I doubt they get a rebate if it ended up being Rotherham v Wigan in the playoff - which they always have to show. Advertisers couldn’t turn around and say “nah not paying for that because we expected 2 better teams to be in the playoffs” 

There is advertising the show (Gillette etc) then the advert break. Similar to the Superbowl in theory. The greater amount of TV viewers the higher the price the companies will pay. I expect Sky also have to provide viewing figures to back it up.

24 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

There is advertising the show (Gillette etc) then the advert break. Similar to the Superbowl in theory. The greater amount of TV viewers the higher the price the companies will pay. I expect Sky also have to provide viewing figures to back it up.

Things like the superbowl are very different I’d imagine. That’s a huge audience. 
These general adverts (again let’s take the Gillette one as an example) run thousands of times across all the sky channels on all manner of programmes - they probably pay an annual fee to be shown x number of times per week across all sky channels. 
The fact that a few thousand less people may not be watching a crap EFL game might likely mean that those few thousand subscribers are watching the cricket, golf, f1, news on another of the sky channels. 
I’d imagine in most cases, if a sports fan and sky subscriber isn’t watching a football match they’re likely watching another form of sport on the sky channels. And are therefore still going to be privy to the Gillette advert on one of those other channels. 
I can’t think it would make much difference when we’re only talking in the tens of thousands in viewers rather than the hundreds of thousands 

Edited by Harry

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Some yes…but they sell advertising space for each game too.