IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

He's also sending a message to Joe there as he'd be confident it would be heard by him.  

Possibly a bit of that but what I know of Nige, he won't say nothing in public that he hasn't said in private! 

I'd suggest that negotiations at at such am advanced stage that conversations have already happened in person and his hunger level has been spoken about. 

I think this is more for the fans. It's Nige saying "we are bringing him back not for sentimental reasons but because he has the hunger and desire to play for us and to help us improve"

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I think Richard Forrester is a reasonable journalist - not a patch on the late Peter Godsiff, but....

Nevertheless, does he have a sub-editor?

I suspect not, if this paragraph from the article is anything to go by ☹️.

Given the competition for his signature and his current stature having featured 44 times as a Premier League player since leaving City, wages could prove an obstacle. The club have implemented a salary structure to ensure greater disparity across the group of players and Pearson suggested there is still plenty of work to conclude behind the scenes before a deal is secured.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cardy said:

I will go as far as to say that assuming we are interested there is no way that Joe Bryan is coming back to play in the Championship for anyone other than Bristol City. Just think about it.

I’m not sure, if a team with parachute payments can offer another 8-10k a week than we can and a chance to aim for playoffs, then I’m sure he will give it a thought. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think Richard Forrester is a reasonable journalist - not a patch on the late Peter Godsiff, but....

Nevertheless, does he have a sub-editor?

I suspect not, if this paragraph from the article is anything to go by ☹️.

Given the competition for his signature and his current stature having featured 44 times as a Premier League player since leaving City, wages could prove an obstacle. The club have implemented a salary structure to ensure greater disparity across the group of players and Pearson suggested there is still plenty of work to conclude behind the scenes before a deal is secured.  

I laughed at that as well. Many a true word …

Edited by Major Isewater

4 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Is there any reason why this cant be announced at any time if hes out if contract? Its clear to me that if this signing happens that this will be marketed as the return of the prodigal son and will be used to sweeten the fan base for when scott leaves!

Not out of contract til June 30th.

9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I’m not sure, if a team with parachute payments can offer another 8-10k a week than we can and a chance to aim for playoffs, then I’m sure he will give it a thought. 

And rightly so. Footballers are a long-time retired. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not out of contract til June 30th.

Could have signed a pre-contract agreement from January, really - but players rarely do this as it's most often not in their interest to do this.

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes but cant out of contract footballers sign pre contract agreements from 1 january of the year their contracts expire?

They can but they are creating a rod for their own back with the club they are with and their supporters, and you have to consider that things change quickly in football. Managers move, teams hit bad patches, etc, you would be wary of signing something that ties you into a situation that you don't want to be in.

Edited by Port Said Red

Interesting points above made on contracts.

I can maybe share some light on an example. A old school friend of mine used to play for Oxford United and was a regular first team player, but when he got to his final season of his contract, he was openly told in the October that he would not be having his contract renewed and if wanted to look for a move for the January, the club would not stand in his way, but also said they planned to keep him part of the first team. 

My friend was happy living in Witney, had a young family and was happy where he was. By March, he was actually playing every week, had scored a few goals and there was interest from other clubs contacting his agent, about his end of season availability. His agent had been given a provisional offer from a team in the same division, but it would have meant moving. My friend was deep down hoping for a contract extension, but he had categorically been advised it was not being renewed. 3 games before the end of the season, he was playing golf with a player from another club and he told him about the offer etc and that he was disappointed that he wasn't getting an extension despite playing all bar 7 games that season. Later than evening, he was rung by the manager of the club who his golfing partner played for, and asked him what the offer was from the other club interested and he told them, that manager there and then told him that his club would match that offer but he wanted a decision there and then. He agreed and gave his word he would join that club. He notified his agent, who in turn notified Oxford Utd. Oxford were fine about it, but asked that the new club did not announce since signing UNTIL they announced their retained list, which would say my friend had been released.

That summer he was announced the day after Oxfords retained list on a 3 year deal for a new club. Sadly for him, he broke his ankle pre season, and 6 months later agreed to rip up his contract having not played a single game for the club, and would still be out for another 12 months. He never played again professionally and now teaches PE at a secondary school! 

Edited by robinforlife2
awful spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Could have signed a pre-contract agreement from January, really - but players rarely do this as it's most often not in their interest to do this.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

53 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Isn't that only with foreign teams?

Correct, Bryan can only start talking to clubs / sign a pre-contract (without Fulham’s permission) in January if the club is from a different FA.  Bryan cannot officially speak to City until 1st June (final month) as both Fulham and City are English FA clubs.  Unless of course he is granted permission by Fulham.

In practice, the issue of the retained list (3rd Sat in May) is seen the point of it being “fair game” to approach players.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Correct, Bryan can only start talking to clubs / sign a pre-contract (without Fulham’s permission) in January if the club is from a different FA.  Bryan cannot officially speak to City until 1st June (final month) as both Fulham and City are English FA clubs.  Unless of course he is granted permission by Fulham.

In practice, the issue of the retained list (3rd Sat in May) is seen the point of it being “fair game” to approach players.

Is he on loan at Nice ?

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness, Ed Hadwin name-checked him in the question to Nige, but Nige referred to him also.

I've now watched the interview. Now I could be doing a bit of 2+2=5 but it came across in the way that Nige answered the question that it could have been Joe that approached us.

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've now watched the interview. Now I could be doing a bit of 2+2=5 but it came across in the way that Nige answered the question that it could have been Joe that approached us.

It’s a bit immaterial really, we can’t chat to Joe w/o Fulham’s permission.  Either Joe asks Fulham if he can talk to us, or we ask Fulham if we can talk to Joe. 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think we’d need @Bcfcshags or @The hand of RO'D to comment.

2+2=5, but the fact that Nige even talked about Bryan, rather than batting away or “I won’t talk about individual players”, sounded to me like confirmation we are in for him…almost positioning with the fans - this is not a signing for sentimental reasons, he’s here to make us stronger and help us challenge for promotion.

I could of course be totally wrong.

Thats how I thought NP came across about it

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Stage one - 3 weeks stakeout at Avon Gorge Hotel

Stage two - subscribe to Plane Tracker and attend Lulsgate (Bristol International Airport to you young uns) twice within a transfer window

Stage three - use the ? emoji with conviction and have the post liked by Kid In The Riot / bcfcshags / hand of Rod

Stage four - hide in the bins at the training ground

???

Has spotting people talking to estate agents in Clifton been retired now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1