IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

4 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Interesting points above made on contracts.

I can maybe share some light on an example. A old school friend of mine used to play for Oxford United and was a regular first team player, but when he got to his final season of his contract, he was openly told in the October that he would not be having his contract renewed and if wanted to look for a move for the January, the club would not stand in his way, but also said they planned to keep him part of the first team. 

My friend was happy living in Witney, had a young family and was happy where he was. By March, he was actually playing every week, had scored a few goals and there was interest from other clubs contacting his agent, about his end of season availability. His agent had been given a provisional offer from a team in the same division, but it would have meant moving. My friend was deep down hoping for a contract extension, but he had categorically been advised it was not being renewed. 3 games before the end of the season, he was playing golf with a player from another club and he told him about the offer etc and that he was disappointed that he wasn't getting an extension despite playing all bar 7 games that season. Later than evening, he was rung by the manager of the club who his golfing partner played for, and asked him what the offer was from the other club interested and he told them, that manager there and then told him that his club would match that offer but he wanted a decision there and then. He agreed and gave his word he would join that club. He notified his agent, who in turn notified Oxford Utd. Oxford were fine about it, but asked that the new club did not announce since signing UNTIL they announced their retained list, which would say my friend had been released.

That summer he was announced the day after Oxfords retained list on a 3 year deal for a new club. Sadly for him, he broke his ankle pre season, and 6 months later agreed to rip up his contract having not played a single game for the club, and would still be out for another 12 months. He never played again professionally and now teaches PE at a secondary school! 

Christian Ribeiro?

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Christian Ribeiro?

Doesn't sound like him. By the way, Christian is now the Owner and Director of a very successful Property business, helping other ex-pros invest in a large portfolio. Still only 33, having retired for obvious reasons before he was 30.

Edited by Port Said Red

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Remember when Lansdown said his dream was to have a team full of Bristolians/academy players? We're well on our way to that now and bringing Joe back would see us move a bit closer to that. 

Trevor Tainton ✍️ 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Doesn't sound like him. By the way, Christian is now the Owner and Director of a very successful Property business, helping other ex-pros invest in a large portfolio. Still only 33, having retired for obvious reasons before he was 30.

That's fantastic news, really pleased for him. I had read he was training to be a Physio (#Irony)!

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If you’re so inclined, he was on an episode of “Homes Under The Hammer” a few years ago. Regularly repeated.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2023 at 22:49, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think Richard Forrester is a reasonable journalist - not a patch on the late Peter Godsiff, but....

Nevertheless, does he have a sub-editor?

I suspect not, if this paragraph from the article is anything to go by ☹️.

Given the competition for his signature and his current stature having featured 44 times as a Premier League player since leaving City, wages could prove an obstacle. The club have implemented a salary structure to ensure greater disparity across the group of players and Pearson suggested there is still plenty of work to conclude behind the scenes before a deal is secured.  

Most sub-editors bit the bullet around 5-10 years ago and I know for a fact the BL sports desk doesn’t have a sub. Sad times, as this latest lazy example shows.

Edited by tin
Auto-typo ?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tin said:

Most sub-editors but the bullet around 5-10 years ago and I know for a fact the BL sports desk doesn’t have a sub. Sad times, as this latest lazy example shows.

Yours clearly did!!?

Sorry couldn't resist...

• Haha 12

On 04/05/2023 at 14:24, Port Said Red said:

Didn't he take over Michael McIndoe's client portfolio?

• Haha 3

On 04/05/2023 at 14:24, Port Said Red said:

Fair play. Where is he based out of interest? Berkeley boy originally I think... 

On 03/05/2023 at 22:13, Jerseybean said:

Haven't read the rest of the thread so I hope this hasn't been mentioned, but this made me laugh/splutter into my cornflakes, it's the same as when Americans say "I could care less" when what they actually mean is the exact opposite, ie "I couldn't care less", as we correctly say it in the UK:

"The club have implemented a salary structure to ensure greater disparity across the group of players"

Pretty sure you mean parity there bud, but you do you 

Edit: of course Phil got there first ?

Edited by Porto Red
Phil
  • Haha 1

On 03/05/2023 at 17:28, George Rs said:

Might be a stupid question but forgive me, how do people get itk about these things? 

Knowing someone who works at the club? Hiding in the bins at the training ground? 

Don't give away all the trade secrets matey....jeez. ?

The only thing I know is that I'm not in the know. 

9 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

I work with a Stoke fan who says they have a pretty big budget this summer. Can’t see how that can be with FFP rules but he’s adamant.  

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I work with a Stoke fan who says they have a pretty big budget this summer. Can’t see how that can be with FFP rules but he’s adamant.  

Yeh my Mates a stoke fan and apparently the owner came out and said to the media that theirs gunna be a bunch of dosh available this summer - will be interesting how it plays out considering FFP

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

13 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Yeh my Mates a stoke fan and apparently the owner came out and said to the media that theirs gunna be a bunch of dosh available this summer - will be interesting how it plays out considering FFP

I think @Mr Popodopolous has posted before about an improvement in their position due to the work they put in this season?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think @Mr Popodopolous has posted before about an improvement in their position due to the work they put in this season?

Think some Stoke reporter was getting excited a while back about halving the wage budget.  With all these things let’s see who they retain / release first, that might or might not free up funds.

Cant see Bryan going to any of the Champ clubs listed over us…unless they get promoted and he sees himself back in the PL.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Think some Stoke reporter was getting excited a while back about halving the wage budget.  With all these things let’s see who they retain / release first, that might or might not free up funds.

Cant see Bryan going to any of the Champ clubs listed over us…unless they get promoted and he sees himself back in the PL.

I think he might go to someone else if they offered a fair bit more money like could probably can 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I am confident he is coming, my only slight worry is that I am sure Aston Villa thought he was going there up to about an hour before he signed for Fulham.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Also @Port Said Red

They have a number who are of contract but moreover how they reached that point ie apparent FFP compliance at all times...is very Evertonesque on one level.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Basically the way they achieved it is a combination of:

*Player Impairment attributed to Covid, a blatant pisstake £30m. This not only:

A) Removes the cost from 2019-20 but removes ongoing costs from future years too if accepted. We did nothing of the sort.

B) This means that players can be released or sold for an amount not exceeding their Book Value at time of disposal in 2021-22. No impairment loss on disposal needed.

Further.

Added back an argued for £11m in respect of lost transfer revenue and cost saving.

Combined impact of this side £40-41m, halved for Covid average so £20-21m.

Maybe another £2-3m of the further last season too.

Plus

Sold and leased back the stadium and training Ground for somewhere between £75-80m. That's the gross price.

Profit on Disposal £32m though tbh they do appear to be accounting for a Market rent of £4.95m per season iirc.

There are undoubtedly shades of Everton here...they seem to be moving towards legitimate compliance now with sales such as Souttar, Collins, even Bursik but up to 2021 or to 2022 the question has to be asked.

SL/CEOs and others should be raising this at EFL level IMO.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think he might go to someone else if they offered a fair bit more money like could probably can 

Of course…I just don’t think anyone else will offer “enough” to make him not come here.

Announce Joe Bryan!

(well at least once Fulham announce their retained list)

(and maybe once Nice finish their fixtures on 3rd June)

???

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of course…I just don’t think anyone else will offer “enough” to make him not come here.

Announce Joe Bryan!

(well at least once Fulham announce their retained list)

(and maybe once Nice finish their fixtures on 3rd June)

???

Maybe Stoke will. If they are going big but dunno who else...

Seen it suggested on their forum that maybe £35m wage bill and £20m in fees they could stretch to this year! Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I am confident he is coming, my only slight worry is that I am sure Aston Villa thought he was going there up to about an hour before he signed for Fulham.

This is a very different scenario imo. Seems like being back properly home with friends and family is the main thing he wants. 

His parents have been going over to Nice fairly regularly by all accounts. 

• Like 3