IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

We have the stronger infrastructure, youth setup, revenue streams and fanbase overall but...they have finished ahead of us is it 3 of 4 seasons or?

Edit: Just checked, 5/6. If you have a connection with a club though don't give it the spiel about going abroad, a valid ambition and then go to Millwall!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We have the stronger infrastructure, youth setup, revenue streams and fanbase overall but...they have finished ahead of us is it 3 of 4 seasons or?

Only just for a couple of them. He can't  seriously believe Millwall are a significantly better option of promotion  compared to us. 

I like this kind of signing for opposition teams, like Ramsey to Cardiff. Their best years are behind them. Same as Joe imo.

We're signing young players with a lot of experience with their best years ahead of them ?

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Only just for a couple of them. He can't  seriously believe Millwall are a significantly better option of promotion  compared to us. 

I like this kind of signing for opposition teams, like Ramsey to Cardiff. Their best years are behind them. Same as Joe imo.

We're signing young players with a lot of experience with their best years ahead of them ?

I do quite like our policy with the younger additions plus academy players but a little more flexibility in time. No over reliance on loanees is all excellent.

Lots of people are short-termist I suppose, life..recency bias could go on. Could be a factor "If they're higher up the table maybe they'll make the top 6 soon..." Kinda thing.

Bryan himself I've mentioned it on here a few times before, may or may not be credible but someone who lived near him in 2018 talking that final full season season, implied he wasn't that bothered about the club...I can't remember exact details 5 years ago 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe he does?  I bet a lot of neutrals do too.  I bet 2nd Tier Podcast do ?

Or maybe he just sees Millwall as a forward step for him in terms of playing regularly?  Backward step is going to City and probably playing second fiddle to Cam Pring.

we’ll find out in both cases won’t we as the season develops.

I like our approach too, hugely in favour of it, but our own recruitment team and their process saw Joe as fitting into that plan too.  With the decision made we pivoted very quickly to sign Roberts.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don’t think he really wants promotion. Reading that article there plenty of things in there that concern me far more than him saying moving back home would be a backward step . 

Like it how he talked about an easy ride before moving to Fulham 

Always said he and a few others looked like they downed tools that second part of the season after the Manchester games 

I genuinely think we have dodged a bullet here. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Screw you buddy

IMG-20230715-WA0001.jpg

I don’t see why people are getting so excited about what he has said here to be honest. He says ‘backward step in my life’, i.e. going back to something in his life he has already done. (I must admit I’d have second thoughts about doing the same - been there done that.) Coupled with the fact that when he spoke to us his first choice was to go abroad - that didn’t ultimately come off. Millwall came later. Plus he actually says he loves us etc. 

Personally I’m just pleased that he and Nigel were able to have such an open and honest conversation about the situation. The right decision for all concerned - including for us fans! 

• Like 13

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Joe didn’t want to leave London, if he had a choice. 

It took him ages to settle!

But he clearly did want to leave London as he said he “wanted to scratch that itch [of playing abroad]”. That interview has a few contradictions like that, though. 

I reckon he spoke to Nige who probably said something along the lines of “you’ll have to earn your place in the side like everyone else”. Bryan didn’t fancy that, so  he explored options to play abroad but nothing materialised, his dithering saw us go for Roberts and the convenient move was Millwall, as he has a home in London and they will give him 35+ games. 

If what I’m hearing about Roberts being very impressive so far in pre-season is true, then I think we’ve dodged a bullet with Bryan. He clearly wants an easy ride and we weren’t going to give him that. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Littlesh*t said:

I didn't take that comment as City are a backwards step in his footballing career because he believes that millwall are better but more returning "home" is a safe bet and a backwards step in life when he wants to try new things.

Yeah thought exactly the same. Some people are getting very precious about this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Screw you buddy

IMG-20230715-WA0001.jpg

Comments like this, his idea that the fans thought he only played because his dad operated on Gary Johnson, and him not being arsed enough to write a goodbye message when he left, shows he doesn’t hold City in the same regard as the fans do him. 

Thanks for the goals against the Gas and Swindon, hope he gets a bit of stick when he comes back (as any opposition player should).

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Screw you buddy

IMG-20230715-WA0001.jpg

Might just be me, but I read that as a ‘backwards step’ in terms he already knows everyone, the area, the club, etc etc so it’s not a challenge or getting him out of his comfort zone so to speak. ‘Backwards step in my life’ in the same way that some people see moving back to where they grew up as a negative, Not a backwards step because Millwall are bigger than us. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I don’t think he really wants promotion. Reading that article there plenty of things in there that concern me far more than him saying moving back home would be a backward step . 

Like it how he talked about an easy ride before moving to Fulham 

Always said he and a few others looked like they downed tools that second part of the season after the Manchester games 

I genuinely think we have dodged a bullet here. 

I think it’s important to read the whole interview and the context around the words he uses rather than pulling out one sentence about an easy ride. At that point of the interview he was talking about playing games and clearly means an easy ride in that he wasn’t challenged for his place in the team. He played every game. Not that it was easy and he didn’t care. I’m sure he wants promotion, like every professional would want promotion. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Yeah thought exactly the same. Some people are getting very precious about this. 

He is clearly a very intelligent person and appears he sees a lot more opportunity to being a footballer than just the playing football side of things. 

I am suprised he ended up at Millwall but I think it is simply his 1st choices didn't pay off. Personally if I was good enough to be a footballer I would use the opportunity to live around the world at a young age and discover new things.

Like you say I think people are missing what he was saying and in no way is a negative on City

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think it’s important to read the whole interview and the context around the words he uses rather than pulling out one sentence about an easy ride. At that point of the interview he was talking about playing games and clearly means an easy ride in that he wasn’t challenged for his place in the team. He played every game. Not that it was easy and he didn’t care. I’m sure he wants promotion, like every professional would want promotion. 

I read the whole interview . I hold no ill feeling towards the lad and wish him all the best - but I stand by what I said.

Lots of red flags in that interview, and for me I think we have dodged a bullet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Might just be me, but I read that as a ‘backwards step’ in terms he already knows everyone, the area, the club, etc etc so it’s not a challenge or getting him out of his comfort zone so to speak. ‘Backwards step in my life’ in the same way that some people see moving back to where they grew up as a negative, Not a backwards step because Millwall are bigger than us. 

It's all well and good giving him the benefit of doubt but we all know he would walk bare foot over broken glass to come back here if we got to the prem so all this I've been there done it stuff is nonsense IMHO, that being said he probably see's Millwall as a backwards step as well but just not as far backwards as us. Bottom line, he probably see's Millwall as a more likely club to get promoted.

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

It's all well and good giving him the benefit of doubt but we all know he would walk bare foot over broken glass to come back here if we got to the prem so all this I've been there done it stuff is nonsense IMHO, that being said he probably see's Millwall as a backwards step as well but just not as far backwards as us. Bottom line, he probably see's Millwall as a more likely club to get promoted.

Based on the last few seasons, would he be wrong?

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

A lot sound like bitter ex partners here, let him be happy 

Exactly what I was thinking! Coupled with the fact that’s it’s best for everyone that he didn’t come back so it’s a good outcome for us as well! 

• Like 1