IGNORED

Steve Cotterill sacking now confirmed

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Your age and length of time watching City are meaningless.

‘Double’ involves wing the FA Cup and the league - not the MM cup.

Not really as we have not been in a position to do that since I’ve been watching City - it’s a lower league double, simple as. Slag the competition off all you like but we sold out on all occasions so whilst it may mean nothing to you it meant something to me when winning it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on, all this talk of the “real” double being the league & FA Cup implies that we are seriously in contention for both on a regular basis.

Robbored’s big hero couldn’t even get us out of the third tier in four effing attempts with a million pound striker & another he bought for £600k (god knows how much that would be now).

Talk about the absolute definition of deluded, we haven’t been in the top flight since 1980 (by the way GJ got us by far the closest since) & have got nowhere near the cup final in my 50 years plus of supporting.

We are a mid table Championship club trying to be a top six one, “real” double?

FFS.

So right. ok THE DOUBLE  back in the day was thought of League and FA Cup. 

But any league and cup win is a double. can't be two  singles can it?

Dosen't matter what level win your league and cup is a ****** double.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Hmmm 1

23 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps, but I suspect a certain Danny Wilson would have been quite chuffed had he achieved something similar.

As, indeed, would his number one fan.

Would have been nice if he achieved half a double!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Your age and length of time watching City are meaningless.

‘Double’ involves wing the FA Cup and the league - not the MM cup.

I’ve written this before, so here goes again.

The only reason you’re using the term “Double” or “the Double” is because it stems from 1888/89 when Preston first did “the Double”.  It was in fact the inaugural year of the “League”, the FA Cup having been going since 1871/72…so Preston achieved it at the first possible opportunity.  What they achieved was the “League and FA Cup Double”…there was only one league and one FA Cup.

Villa did it in 1896/97, then it wasn’t until 1960/61 that Spurs did it, which ironically was the first year the League Cup was played.  There were no other cup comps to go for until then, and in fact “the Double” is an affectionate term for “the League (1st tier) and FA Cup double” and partly because of its apparent difficulty to win both.  The “double” is also the term for beating the same team home and away.  The “double” is also a term for winning two competitions.

If you want to continue to use the term “the Double” as a way of dismissing City’s 2014/15 season when they won the double (3rd Tier and JPT double), then you should qualify it each time as the “League and FA Cup Double”.  Because City did win the double, just a different double.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Rob k said:

Not really as we have not been in a position to do that since I’ve been watching City - it’s a lower league double, simple as. Slag the competition off all you like but we sold out on all occasions so whilst it may mean nothing to you it meant something to me when winning it. 

‘‘lower league double’…….…..:cool2:

I suppose that’s true but to me it’s it’s not a proper double.

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps, but I suspect a certain Danny Wilson would have been quite chuffed had he achieved something similar.

As, indeed, would his number one fan.

Here we go again…………:disapointed2se:

I repeat - DW served up the best style of football seen at AG for decades. It was pure entertainment and I loved the ‘buzz’ his teams produced.

Nige is closing in on my number one manager tho. If this coming season is a success then he’ll overtake his former teammate as number one.

Edited by Robbored
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

DW served up the best style of football seen at AG for decades. It was pure entertainment and I loved the ‘buzz’ his teams produced.

Wasn't this the man in charge of us in the PO final against Brighton?

What was pure entertainment about that game? What "proper" management skills did he show us all that day?

What about the drinking culture under him, did that cost us a few points and automatic promotion, and ultimately his job?

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Been in the directors box with Cheltenham owner last two matches, and is already having input with club strategy and data analysts.

With Wade struggling and Cheltenham bottom, a fair bet he'll be taking the reigns there in the not too distant future.

Thought the same, but then also wondered if he’d do that to R Wade? 

Only club in the first 9 leagues in England to not score a goal yet. Having such a good season last season and raising standards deffo not helping him either. 

Might actually make Wade show some sign of ageing though. Looking superb still. Fair play to him. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Thought the same, but then also wondered if he’d do that to R Wade? 

Only club in the first 9 leagues in England to not score a goal yet. Having such a good season last season and raising standards deffo not helping him either. 

Might actually make Wade show some sign of ageing though. Looking superb still. Fair play to him. 

Seen Wade in Aldi on Norf St many times and his skin complexion is beautiful. The hair never disappoints either.

Could see a scenario where Cotts comes in and Wade stays as no 2. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1