IGNORED

Steve Cotterill sacking now confirmed

Just now, Percy Pig said:

They're sacking a bloke who almost died and still came back to work far too early to help their club. 

It's not like he's done a bad job either! 

(Probably my never diminishing love of Cotts speaking, mind). 

Agreed Percy, but I think the point Fevs was inferring was that this is the individuals decision making rather than Shrewsbury Town as a club overall. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

They're sacking a bloke who almost died and still came back to work far too early to help their club. 

It's not like he's done a bad job either! 

(Probably my never diminishing love of Cotts speaking, mind). 

So did lansdown

Saw some comments that SC made regarding budgets prior to their last home game against our friends across the city.

He reckoned that they had twice the player budget he did and that he needed more funds.

I suspect the CEO agreed as having been there 7 years, he left fairly suddenly a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Shabby. 

I've got to admit, I never really thought much of the bloke before he came here. But having "got to know" the real Cotts here, you've got to say the bloke deserves so much more than he's ever really gotten. 

I hope Shrews go down, now. 

Got rid of his mate thats twice hes been crapped on their fans will be gutted had a,standing ovation all round the ground last home game .

14 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Seen him walking around Cabot a couple of weeks ago so assumed he still lives in the area.

Edit: A shrews fan mate of mine said he had been heavily linked to the Reading job in recent weeks.

He must still live here, my son who works in town says he often sees him and his wife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedM said:

He must still live here, my son who works in town says he often sees him and his wife.

Pretty sure Cotts does still live locally. l used to see him regularly surveying the docks from a balcony near Spoke and Stringer.

Wade Elliot too, saw him strolling along North Street towards Ashton Park the other evening.

As for Cotts leaving Shrewsbury, very much their loss, they were very fortunate to have him.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Pretty sure Cotts does still live locally. l used to see him regularly surveying the docks from a balcony near Spoke and Stringer.

Wade Elliot too, saw him strolling along North Street towards Ashton Park the other evening.

As for Cotts leaving Shrewsbury, very much their loss, they were very fortunate to have him.

Yep, Cotts has an apartment in Hotwells.

Elliot has a house in a road off of North Street - I won't say which road.

Not that I'm a stalker, honest.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I’ve said before on various threads that I love Cotts and will always be grateful to him for dragging us out of the pus-filled mire that is League 1. 
However, I think League 1 is probably his management level. That’s only my opinion and plenty would disagree, but it seems likely to be true as he’s not done well in the second tier either with us or Notts Forest and no other club at our level seem to have been interested in him to-date. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ve said before on various threads that I love Cotts and will always be grateful to him for dragging us out of the pus-filled mire that is League 1. 
However, I think League 1 is probably his management level. That’s only my opinion and plenty would disagree, but it seems likely to be true as he’s not done well in the second tier either with us or Notts Forest and no other club at our level seem to have been interested in him to-date. 

I should have to check, as memory often plays tricks, but I thought he did quite well at Forest and Burnley also, especially at the latter.

Nevertheless, I share your view that he is probably better suited to League One.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

When he was at Burnley he became the Championship's longest serving manager so I think he can hold his own at that level.

I still think if he'd been properly backed at AG after promotion, as imo he'd earnt the right to be, he'd have given a double promotion 'a damn good go', as he assured me at the promotion celebrations was his intention.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When he was at Burnley he became the Championship's longest serving manager so I think he can hold his own at that level.

I still think if he'd been properly backed at AG after promotion, as imo he'd earnt the right to be, he'd have given a double promotion 'a damn good go', as he assured me at the promotion celebrations was his intention.

I admit I'd forgotten he was at Burnley. 

The 'If he'd only been backed....' rhetoric is interesting - I read this (very popular) 'myth' a lot on various boards, but if I remember correctly immediately after promotion we put in HUGE bids (in excess of £10m) for Dwight Gayle, Andre Gray and Harry Maguire. Again, I'm going from memory so I may be slightly wrong, but the Gayle and Gray bids were accepted but the players didn't want to come to us (??). The Maguire bid was also accepted and the deal was going through, but someone in BCFC (?) tried to renegotiate the deal with Hull whilst Cotts was on holiday - Hull subsequently threw their toys out of the pram and cancelled it - saying that they would NEVER do any more business with Bristol City ever again. Whoever screwed that deal up is the real villain here - but it doesn't change the fact that the money was there. Bristol City just wasn't an attractive club to play for back then - fresh out of League 1 with no footballing 'pedigree'.  
If only ONE of those deals had gone through then Cotts would have overseen the biggest EVER transfer fee ever paid for a player - even by today's standard. IMHO that's quite strong backing. 
Ok, NONE of the deals happened - the players didn't want to come to us and someone screwed up the Maguire deal, but the financial backing WAS there. The fact that those deals didn't go through is NOT proof that money was not available. A club does not make an approach to another club and submit an offer without the money being there. 

Lets not lose track of why he was sacked; we were losing games and adrift in the relegation zone. He insisted on sticking to his 3-5-2 system - which worked a dream in League 1, but got found out very quickly in the Championship. Despite this, and losing games, he still stuck with it, game after game, week after week (the Forest fans called him a 'one trick pony' - and with this stubborn adherence to a failing formation I can see why). If this wasn't bad enough, he refused to deploy his subs until the 80th minute, when we were chasing the game. THAT behaviour indicates to me one of 2 things; (a) A manager who hasn't a clue what he's doing, or (b) A manager who knows exactly what he's doing and he is deliberately screwing it up to make a 'point' to the board. 

Neither of those possibilities were good for Bristol City and it was absolutely right that he went when he did.
If any proof was needed then you only have to look at the results once Pemberton was put in charge; 4-4-2 formation with the SAME players and the subs being deployed at a sensible time - it was a wonderful breath of fresh air (for me) - and most importantly we SURVIVED.

I would suggest again that there is a reason that he hasn't been offered a Championship manager (to-date) since he managed us. 

I love him as I said before - and really wish him well, but I stand by everything I said above. 

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Correct spelling
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

The 'If he'd only been backed....' rhetoric is interesting - I read this (very popular) 'myth' a lot on various boards, but if I remember correctly immediately after promotion we put in HUGE bids (in excess of £10m) for Dwight Gayle, Andre Gray and Harry Maguire. Again, I'm going from memory so I may be slightly wrong, but the Gayle and Gray bids were accepted but the players didn't want to come to us (??). The Maguire bid was also accepted and the deal was going through, but someone in BCFC (?) tried to renegotiate the deal with Hull whilst Cotts was on holiday - Hull subsequently threw their toys out of the pram and cancelled it - saying that they would NEVER do any more business with Bristol City ever again. Whoever screwed that deal up is the real villain here - but it doesn't change the fact that the money was there. Bristol City just wasn't an attractive club to play for back then - fresh out of League 1 with no footballing 'pedigree'.  
If only ONE of those deals had gone through then Cotts would have overseen the biggest EVER transfer fee ever paid for a player - even by today's standard. IMHO that's quite strong backing. 

The then CEO, his name was Peeling IIRC ?

18 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I admit I'd forgotten he was at Burnley. 

Ok, NONE of the deals happened - the players didn't want to come to us and someone screwed up the Maguire deal, but the financial backing WAS there. The fact that those deals didn't go through is NOT proof that money was not available. A club does not make an approach to another club and submit an offer without the money being there. 

Lets not lose track of why he was sacked; we were losing games and adrift in the relegation zone. He insisted on sticking to his 3-5-2 system - which worked a dream in League 1, but got found out very quickly in the Championship. Despite this, and losing games, he still stuck with it, game after game, week after week (the Forest fans called him a 'one trick pony' - and with this stubborn adherence to a failing formation I can see why). If this wasn't bad enough, he refused to deploy his subs until the 80th minute, when we were chasing the game. THAT behaviour indicates to me one of 2 things; (a) A manager who hasn't a clue what he's doing, or (b) A manager who knows exactly what he's doing and he is deliberately screwing it up to make a 'point' to the board. 

Neither of those possibilities were good for Bristol City and it was absolutely right that he went when he did.
If any proof was needed then you only have to look at the results once Pemberton was put in charge; 4-4-2 formation with the SAME players and the subs being deployed at a sensible time - it was a wonderful breath of fresh air (for me) - and most importantly we SURVIVED.

I would suggest again that there is a reason that he hasn't been offered a Championship manager (to-date) since he managed us. 

I love him as I said before - and really wish him well, but I stand by everything I said above. 

Correct whoever screwed up those deals was the real villain.

It wasn't just the Maguire deal, Gray also. Both were agreed and so far as I am aware it isn't the case that those players didn't want to come.

After some knobhead screwed up those deals, it was only then that we went after Gayle, but from memory he was the player that didn't want to come.

Still pisses me off after all this time that Cotts, having saved us from relegation to L2 and then the amazing promotion season, was shafted and we appointed somebody with zero credentials to replace him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4