IGNORED

Steve Cotterill sacking now confirmed

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s my opinion Dave - I don’t expect many to share it tho.

Claiming a ‘double’ involves winning the FA cup - no other cup qualifies as far as I’m concerned.

Look at that another thing you’re wrong about 

so theoretically the PL and champions league wouldn’t be a double then? 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s my opinion Dave - I don’t expect many to share it tho.

Claiming a ‘double’ involves winning the FA cup - no other cup qualifies as far as I’m concerned.

A bit like when you adoringly called Mark Ashton 'Mr. C h a r i s m a' then?

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

History of the Double:

There was one league and one cup, hence the double.  We aren’t still in 1888 are we?  There are now multiple “divisions”, the League Cup (various names) came into being in the 60’s, the EFL Cup (various names) in the 80s.  Let alone Europe.

There is a need to play down triumph so a team winning the league and league cup were played down as in “not the real double”.  It’s a bollocks really, born out of a history of their only being two competitions to win, and also the rarity it happened until more recent times.

If you want to say we didn’t win a League and FA Cup Double fine, but we still won a double in 14/15

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

History of the Double:

There was one league and one cup, hence the double.  We aren’t still in 1888 are we?  There are now multiple “divisions”, the League Cup (various names) came into being in the 60’s, the EFL Cup (various names) in the 80s.  Let alone Europe.

There is a need to play down triumph so a team winning the league and league cup were played down as in “not the real double”.  It’s a bollocks really, born out of a history of their only being two competitions to win, and also the rarity it happened until more recent times.

If you want to say we didn’t win a League and FA Cup Double fine, but we still won a double in 14/15

Being nit-picky, the League Cup and EFL Cup are the same thing. I think for the latter, you were referring to the EFL Trophy (aka the Papa John's Trophy, Johnstone's Paint Trophy etc.).

But I do agree, we won a double in 14/15. Our first and only I believe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

History of the Double:

City won the league and a cup so that’s two trophies but as I posted earlier in my opinion a proper double involves winning the FA cup and a league,

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Seventeen said:

It's a mess now for sure, but prior to B teams every lower league team would have wanted to win it as it's realistically the only shot at a trophy they'll have. 

It’s a Big enough competition for us to have taken 40k plus to Wembley! 

On 07/06/2023 at 12:04, CodeRed said:

Thanks for the update.

Is Aaron Wilbraham still with you or has he gone as well.

Nothing has been announced about AW yet so as far as I’m aware he’s still at the club, but I’m not sure if the club are considering offering him the job, I’ll guess that he will probably leave and they are probably negotiating his severance package at the moment.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 17:21, Robbored said:

City won the league and a cup so that’s two trophies but as I posted earlier in my opinion a proper double involves winning the FA cup and a league,

Whatever happened to the Gloucester Cup ?

• Haha 1

On 07/06/2023 at 16:21, Robbored said:

I wouldn't use the word "proper" but I think I'm essence I agree, I mean we won a double but if we used that as a boast it wouldn't hold up to a team who won the Championship play off, it's all about relevance. That season we won two trophies, that's a solid season for a league one team but in the larger picture of football we were still a newly promoted championship team, we hadn't done anything that would garner attention from anyone outside the country. 

I do still rate Cotterell though, you look at the team he built and a lot of those players helped us or went on to bigger things, look at Ayling, still one of our worst sales in the last couple of decades, went for **** all and ended up playing in the Prem and being the heart and soul for many of the Leeds fans. 

On 07/06/2023 at 16:21, Robbored said:

Understand the point, but for me winning 'the double' will always be the FA Cup and the top league. Winning 'a double'  is anything else.

If Burnley had won the FA Cup this year, I still would not put them in the list of teams that have done 'the double'.

Semantics really, but what the words mean to me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spike said:

I wouldn't use the word "proper" but I think I'm essence I agree, I mean we won a double but if we used that as a boast it wouldn't hold up to a team who won the Championship play off, it's all about relevance. That season we won two trophies, that's a solid season for a league one team but in the larger picture of football we were still a newly promoted championship team, we hadn't done anything that would garner attention from anyone outside the country. 

I do still rate Cotterell though, you look at the team he built and a lot of those players helped us or went on to bigger things, look at Ayling, still one of our worst sales in the last couple of decades, went for **** all and ended up playing in the Prem and being the heart and soul for many of the Leeds fans. 

With the "rumours" of the players he wanted to sign, I wonder how different things could have been

Guarantee Harry McGuire wouldn't have had the career he's had :yes:

On 07/06/2023 at 09:45, daleshrews said:

Thanks to all BCFC fans for their kind comments last season when we played that lot from up the Gloucester Road, for some reason Joey Barton never approved of Cotterill’s tactics and made it very public, but SC is twice the manager Barton is if not more.

I think the whining about that game continues to this day.

53 minutes ago, prankerd said:

Its our level, probably the only double we will see for a long time...

Spot on, all this talk of the “real” double being the league & FA Cup implies that we are seriously in contention for both on a regular basis.

Robbored’s big hero couldn’t even get us out of the third tier in four effing attempts with a million pound striker & another he bought for £600k (god knows how much that would be now).

Talk about the absolute definition of deluded, we haven’t been in the top flight since 1980 (by the way GJ got us by far the closest since) & have got nowhere near the cup final in my 50 years plus of supporting.

We are a mid table Championship club trying to be a top six one, “real” double?

FFS.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 07/06/2023 at 14:49, Davefevs said:

I’m shocked, I’ll tell thee, I’m shocked!

Sorry Dave but how dare you try and bring the posts back to the original topic. Note to Mods...please warn him that if he does this again, he will have his flip charts confiscated!

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s a bit sad that ‘little ol Bristol City’ sees winning the MM cup and the league as a ‘double’

Well im 43 and it’s been the only double we have had a chance of winning since i started watching 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

38 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Well im 43 and it’s been the only double we have had a chance of winning since i started watching 

Your age and length of time watching City are meaningless.

‘Double’ involves wing the FA Cup and the league - not the MM cup.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

43 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Your age and length of time watching City are meaningless.

‘Double’ involves wing the FA Cup and the league - not the MM cup.

• Flames 1