IGNORED

Steve Cotterill sacking now confirmed

• The title was changed to Steve Cotterill sacking now confirmed

Unless his wage budget and resources skyrocketed this season then it seems an odd and fairy harsh sacking.

Maybe they are trying to break even, owner cash pile declining who knows, could have been behind the scenes budgetary clashes, irreconcilable differences but it seems like Shrewsbury and their loss will be someone else's gain.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Spoke to a Shrewsbury fan tonight, basically a big restructure of roles, DoF in (Moore), shuffling of CEO role into Finance specific, hence DoF specific too, etc, etc.

2+2=5 for me means they want a head-coach not a manager.  Cotts wouldn’t want to report into a DoF I guess?  

• Like 2

Chairman's statement is a bit drasric. If restructures mean a change of manager these things happen albeit it is unfair but a statement should reflect this, thanking Cotts etc 

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2023/june/a-statement-from-our-chairman/

This however goes some way above and beyond. Speaks of safeguarding the future etc. Could be PR, scapegoating but a bit drastic.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Chairman's statement is a bit drasric. If restructures mean a change of manager these things happen albeit it is unfair but a statement should reflect this, thanking Cotts etc 

This however goes somewhere above and beyond. Speaks of safeguarding the future etc.

Yes I assumed they are in serious financial difficulty when I read that. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This however goes some way above and beyond. Speaks of safeguarding the future etc. Could be PR, scapegoating but a bit drastic.

It should read: We’re doing things on the cheap now lads. 

I was told categorically this was happening when they were playing the Gas. 

On 02/06/2023 at 14:56, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ve said before on various threads that I love Cotts and will always be grateful to him for dragging us out of the pus-filled mire that is League 1. 
However, I think League 1 is probably his management level. That’s only my opinion and plenty would disagree, but it seems likely to be true as he’s not done well in the second tier either with us or Notts Forest and no other club at our level seem to have been interested in him to-date. 

Notts Forest ... shiver! You obviously don’t know any Nottm County fans ... ???

1 hour ago, RobArnold10 said:

It should read: We’re doing things on the cheap now lads. 

I was told categorically this was happening when they were playing the Gas. 

I'll reserve judgement a bit until the Shrewsbury 2022-23 accounts are out but it seems rather an unfair sacking.

To also add, I don't believe Cotts has had the breaks in his management career. This another example- another manager who has not would be NP.

• Like 1

• Admin
37 minutes ago, daleshrews said:

Shrewsbury supporter of 30 years here in peace, I can try to clarify a few reasons as to why he has left. He allegedly fell out with the chairman during the January transfer window and they haven’t spoken since. He and the CEO were responsible for the transfer budget and the chairman was apparently unhappy with them both for overspending the budget, the CEO suddenly departed without notice in April (probably sacked) and that left SC vulnerable as he enjoyed a good working relationship with the CEO, the chairman then appointed a new DoF without even consulting SC about it first (he only found out about it after reading it online) and the writing was sadly on the wall then, most Salopians are very unhappy about this, particularly the very poor statement from the chairman… SC was once picking our team and going through tactics with Aaron Wilbraham whilst struggling for breath on his hospital bed!

Thanks to all BCFC fans for their kind comments last season when we played that lot from up the Gloucester Road, for some reason Joey Barton never approved of Cotterill’s tactics and made it very public, but SC is twice the manager Barton is if not more.

Always great to welcome supporters from other clubs on here, Thank you for the information and all the best for the future

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daleshrews said:

Shrewsbury supporter of 30 years here in peace, I can try to clarify a few reasons as to why he has left. He allegedly fell out with the chairman during the January transfer window and they haven’t spoken since. He and the CEO were responsible for the transfer budget and the chairman was apparently unhappy with them both for overspending the budget, the CEO suddenly departed without notice in April (probably sacked) and that left SC vulnerable as he enjoyed a good working relationship with the CEO, the chairman then appointed a new DoF without even consulting SC about it first (he only found out about it after reading it online) and the writing was sadly on the wall then, most Salopians are very unhappy about this, particularly the very poor statement from the chairman… SC was once picking our team and going through tactics with Aaron Wilbraham whilst struggling for breath on his hospital bed!

Thanks to all BCFC fans for their kind comments last season when we played that lot from up the Gloucester Road, for some reason Joey Barton never approved of Cotterill’s tactics and made it very public, but SC is twice the manager Barton is if not more.

Thanks for the update.

Is Aaron Wilbraham still with you or has he gone as well.

It sounds not to different to how he left us. He fell out with the Owner over transfers ( one of the suits tried to renegotiate a couple of deals Steve had arranged before going on holiday and that resulted in the deals falling through) Steve and the owner didn't speak after that and he was fired when we hit the dropzone, although subsequent managers have been allowed more time and patience when hitting a bad spell.

Most fans were sorry to see him go so soon after a double trophy winning season. He gets a good welcome and reception when he returns and I'm sure he'll get the same at your ground.

27 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

It was a double. That's a fact. Your opinion is irrelevant in this instance.

Winning the league and winning the FA cup is a double. Man City has achieved that last season.

I always found it embarrassing when City were in the Mickey Mouse cup and winning it several times meant bugger all to me.  it’s a cup for lower league clubs and I hated having to play in it.

Thankfully City no longer meet the criteria.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You can drive a bus (a mini-bus?) through RR’s defence of it not being a double ???

It’s my opinion Dave - I don’t expect many to share it tho.

Claiming a ‘double’ involves winning the FA cup - no other cup qualifies as far as I’m concerned.

• Facepalm 1