IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

I genuinely don’t want him back. If we’re suddenly good enough now, why weren’t we 6 weeks ago. 

Season has started and both him & HNM seem very far away from signing for clubs. Whether it’s being misled by someone, or their own hearts leading their heads, but both have really taken three steps back. 

• Like 14

44 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I genuinely don’t want him back. If we’re suddenly good enough now, why weren’t we 6 weeks ago. 

Season has started and both him & HNM seem very far away from signing for clubs. Whether it’s being misled by someone, or their own hearts leading their heads, but both have really taken three steps back. 

I get your point. But Kalas strengthens our squad (arguably our starting XI), so I’ll take him. 

Interesting how things pan out tho. 

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

He’s well within his rights to look for a better deal for himself and his family, imagine working in a job and one day being asked to take a big pay cut to so the same job - of course you’re gonna look about

• Like 2

We have two recognised fit CBs & one of those is now suspended.  You  could move people but it’s ridiculous at this level to not have cover other than academy players. When fit Kalas was our best defender so for 12 months at reduced wages then I’d welcome him back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not convinced we need to spend the wages on him, we have Pring and Naismith who can slot in next week, a couple of good academy players coming through, the wages need to be invested in our toothless attack and woeful midfield. 

I really don't like Naismith at CB, he is 10 times better in midfield in my view. But Roberts can play CB as well as Pring so you could pick one of them there and the other at LB. 

7 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Suppose if true would split opinions here… however a fit Kalas would be the best central defender at the club by a ‘country’ mile !  I hope its true.  One year deal makes sense 

Agree fully with this. See how fit he can stay over the year and then make a decision next year. But as you say a fit Kalas is our best CB.

• Like 3

I said during the summer, I’d be happy to go with whatever decision was made by both player and club.  But that was the summer when an offer was on the table, pre-season ahead of us, etc, etc.

That balance is no more.

Its the 20th August.

I have no say in what happens, obviously, but he isn’t gonna be fit for Friday anyway, so that is a pointless argument.  We have a guy who played LCB at Luton (in a 4 and a 3), he played in a 4 for us at the tail-end of the season too.  He just slots in there and then we assess post-Friday, when of course Dickie will return anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrRedRobin said:

I really don't like Naismith at CB, he is 10 times better in midfield in my view. But Roberts can play CB as well as Pring so you could pick one of them there and the other at LB. 

Agree fully with this. See how fit he can stay over the year and then make a decision next year. But as you say a fit Kalas is our best CB.

Having seen a bit of Roberts now he doesn’t appear anywhere big enough to play CB to me. Pring for a game maybe (I think he’ll be dropped for Hull otherwise) but not Roberts.

I would argue Dickie looks Kalas’ equal & Vyner’s form has held up even when we’re poor, like yesterday.

Whether it is Kalas or someone else, we do need another defender though expect Naismith to start there on Friday if not.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

If he would sign a 1 year contract it’s a no brainer.

No fee, no loan fee and reduced wages sounds perfect.

And we all know as long as stays fit would be a starter. 

Kalas and Dickie would be a pretty strong and experienced back 2.

Would allow the full backs to bomb on something I have not seen yet.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Tanner bombing on?

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

We have two recognised fit CBs & one of those is now suspended.  You  could move people but it’s ridiculous at this level to not have cover other than academy players. When fit Kalas was our best defender so for 12 months at reduced wages then I’d welcome him back. 

Concern with Kalas is that he won’t be match fit. He’s had a limited preseason I would assume, which with his injury record could spell further problems. Likely to pick up niggles if rushed back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

Despite the fact that Nigel has made it clear that that's what he wants they seem unwilling or unable to do it.

He was critical of them after the Preston game and hinted at the same yesterday. Who'd be a football manager?

Just now, chinapig said:

Despite the fact that Nigel has made it clear that that's what he wants they seem unwilling or unable to do it.

He was critical of them after the Preston game and hinted at the same yesterday. Who'd be a football manager?

Pring and Tanner have been so poor so far. Pring is a quality player but something is missing. Roberts deserves to start. I’d go with Sykes over Tanner or even a return to 3.5.2. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Pring and Tanner have been so poor so far. Pring is a quality player but something is missing. Roberts deserves to start. I’d go with Sykes over Tanner or even a return to 3.5.2. 

The loss of McCrorie is a blow as I'm convinced he would be starting. He's a powerful runner who likes to get forward but there is no sign he is going to be available any time soon. Typical of our luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Concern with Kalas is that he won’t be match fit. He’s had a limited preseason I would assume, which with his injury record could spell further problems. Likely to pick up niggles if rushed back. 

If he comes back then you have to get through next 2 league games then look at playing after international break which is 16 September 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Better Red said:

Not really Tanners game.

Think we're desperate for McCrorie to get fit.

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Roberts barley got over the half way line when he came in and we were chasing the game.

No better or worse than Pring

6 hours ago, Better Red said:

No place for Vyner then or are you assuming he's off before the window shuts?

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

No. Although not signed a contract.

3 decent CB’s at this level.

Maybe even go 3 at the back with Wingbacks - Mcorie and Pring/Roberts.

Also Vyner could play RB feel he would be better than Tanner.

59 minutes ago, headhunter said:

49 minutes ago, Better Red said:

No. Although not signed a contract.

3 decent CB’s at this level.

Maybe even go 3 at the back with Wingbacks - Mcorie and Pring/Roberts.

Also Vyner could play RB feel he would be better than Tanner.

Use the wage offered to Kalas to Vyner