IGNORED

Digital Ticketing

westonred

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Completely wrong. 67% of over-65s now own a smartphone.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/300402/smartphone-usage-in-the-uk-by-age/

Must admit, other than for the very elderly, I have limited patience with some of the Luddite attitudes on display here. Today’s pensioners have lived a third of their lives in the internet age.

Hardly surprising when the method of survey was conducted by phone. Age UK would be a better source of information. They have policy papers on digital inclusion. 

OAP's won't have lived a third of their lives in the internet age, if you mean using the internet. Millions of OAPS don't use the internet for months, and significant numbers do not, and cannot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Hardly surprising when the method of survey was conducted by phone. Age UK would be a better source of information. They have policy papers on digital inclusion. 

OAP's won't have lived a third of their lives in the internet age, if you mean using the internet. Millions of OAPS don't use the internet for months, and significant numbers do not, and cannot.

Putting aside the very elderly and those who can’t afford the means to, that sounds like an awful lot of people to me where the only thing missing is a willingness to embrace the natural evolution of technology and learn.

We talk about today’s pensioners like they’re war veterans or grannies sitting around knitting and singing Vera Lynn songs. Even someone in their 80s now was still in the workplace until about 2005, by which time the internet was commonplace.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Putting aside the very elderly and those who can’t afford the means to, that sounds like an awful lot of people to me where the only thing missing is a willingness to embrace the natural evolution of technology and learn.

We talk about today’s pensioners like they’re war veterans or grannies sitting around knitting and singing Vera Lynn songs. Even someone in their 80s now was still in the workplace until about 2005, by which time the internet was commonplace.

You will be aware that the ability to learn decreases as we age. You might be aware that we all have differing learning styles (VARK). Technology is not natural, in the case of the internet it will omit peoples learning and communication styles. 

You have misunderstood the point about the internet. Your workplace in 2005 was not every bodies home, and care home. Because the internet was part of your life its not been part of all lives. 

I have been working in social care from well before 2005, and we were not working digitally then and in many service users homes we are still not because it excludes individuals due to a spectrum of reasons from understanding to eyesight. 

Who talks about todays pensioners like their Vera Lyn? 

Your post might be missing a willingness to display empathy for others. Might. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Is it Metal Mickey? 

I hope my Psion II Organiser can handle this crazy new ticket.

The bloke in Dixons said I was buying the future of technology, all to a backdrop of some fella hawking copies of the Evening Post outside BHS. 

"Evening Post, freeeeee-star, freeeeee-star, Evening Post".

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Valid point, but I would say it needs more context to these figures

How many are fit to use anything (are they in a home / hospice etc)

I

Just over 400,000 in care homes in the UK.

Not all of them will be 65+ though.

Closer to home I wonder how many City season ticket holders are 65 and over?

A fair few and an increasing number I'd reckon.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I started using company computer system for stock control as far back as 1978. And got my first personal computer in 1989. I've done my banking via internet since 1995. I booked holidays in New Zealand/Western Samoa 2001 and honeymoon in Italy in 2002 via the web.

My only problem now at 80 years, is keeping up with the way rapid changes are occurring. If I have a problem, I just ring my 17 years granddaughter for advice.

I think some of you younger fans don't know how much we oldies use the internet.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 7
  • Flames 2

People get used to change very quickly, even old stagers like me (I'm 74). I always used to pay with cash for drinks and odds and ends, when out and about, until post lock down. Then many places started to only accept card payments, so I had to change. Now I never carry any cash as its so much easier to just have a couple of cards in my phone case. No lose change or wallet taking up space in my pockets.  Digital ticketing will mean there will be one more thing I don't have to carry.  I'm looking forward to the day when I can have a chip inserted to my head that can be scanned for entry / when I want to pay for things. As long as there's a card option for those who want it there's no problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

People get used to change very quickly, even old stagers like me (I'm 74). I always used to pay with cash for drinks and odds and ends, when out and about, until post lock down. Then many places started to only accept card payments, so I had to change. Now I never carry any cash as its so much easier to just have a couple of cards in my phone case. No lose change or wallet taking up space in my pockets.  Digital ticketing will mean there will be one more thing I don't have to carry.  I'm looking forward to the day when I can have a chip inserted to my head that can be scanned for entry / when I want to pay for things. As long as there's a card option for those who want it there's no problem.

Could you imagine turning up at Ashton Gate and everyone had to headbutt the ticket scanner to get in... it would be quite a sight! ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

You will be aware that the ability to learn decreases as we age. You might be aware that we all have differing learning styles (VARK). Technology is not natural, in the case of the internet it will omit peoples learning and communication styles. 

You have misunderstood the point about the internet. Your workplace in 2005 was not every bodies home, and care home. Because the internet was part of your life its not been part of all lives. 

I have been working in social care from well before 2005, and we were not working digitally then and in many service users homes we are still not because it excludes individuals due to a spectrum of reasons from understanding to eyesight. 

Who talks about todays pensioners like their Vera Lyn? 

Your post might be missing a willingness to display empathy for others. Might. 

You’re right, I’m probably not being very empathetic. My opinions are influenced by my personal experience, which is having relatives in their late 60s / early 70s who would be perfectly capable of learning to use the internet but just haven’t bothered to learn despite having ample time, money and resources to do so - and then lean on others to help them out. Whereas I have even older relatives who live on their iPads!

• Like 3

The only thing that makes me nervous about device based ticketing, paying, apps etc is that few people carry cash these days, and with a digital wallet you have a single point of failure. Lose your phone, forget to charge you phone, forget your phone... 

Which is why I still keep a couple of notes on me, a wallet with cards in it and a phone with the apps.

Happy to embrace the technology, just like alternatives.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Have a look at an app called Pass2U Wallet, it's the same kind of thing but for Android phones

I've had National Express tickets and concert tickets on there in the past

I’ve always had my supporters club membership on that app, can’t remember why it’s on that app but it works well.

9 hours ago, westonred said:

I have nearly every season ticket card or booklet since the 70's i have them as a keepsake. I do not have a printer at home to print the 1st four matches and also i do not have a Google Wallet so i shall be asking for a season card to be sent out

With the restricted parking around areas of fhe ground by our magnifecent council and thus ticketing i can see fans saying up yours i wont bother .

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

The only thing that makes me nervous about device based ticketing, paying, apps etc is that few people carry cash these days, and with a digital wallet you have a single point of failure. Lose your phone, forget to charge you phone, forget your phone... 

Which is why I still keep a couple of notes on me, a wallet with cards in it and a phone with the apps.

Happy to embrace the technology, just like alternatives.

Which is why I always have a Paper backup.

For those worried about long queues of people fumbling to open the app. There is no app. As long as the phone is switched on, has power, it can just be touched on the reader and entry will be gained.

In theory this should be just as quick and easy as touching with a physical ticket. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I started using company computer system for stock control as far back as 1978. And got my first personal computer in 1989. I've done my banking via internet since 1995. I booked holidays in New Zealand/Western Samoa 2001 and honeymoon in Italy in 2002 via the web.

My only problem now at 80 years, is keeping up with the way rapid changes are occurring. If I have a problem, I just ring my 17 years granddaughter for advice.

I think some of you younger fans don't know how much we oldies use the internet.

Laudable but there isn't a homogeneous "we oldies" group, of the older people I know the division between computer literate and non-literate is primarily related to attitude rather than intelligence.

A lot of people who grew up without it don't like tech generally and don't have smartphones let alone computers or tablets.

I thought tech, or more particularly system software, a real boon at work but I don't want anything bar the bare minimum outside of work though am semi-retired these days in my fifties.

I almost always pay cash, have never used contactless or paid by phone, refuse to adopt anything I see as unnecessary like WhatsApp and only started online banking because my local branch had closed and I wanted to change a standing order without having a long journey to do it.

As with council car parks now requiring an App to pay, meaning that I will not now use them, the old adage of "the customer is always right" seems to have gone by the by, replaced by "the customer will do what they are told".

And then you lose customers.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RedM said:

For those worried about long queues of people fumbling to open the app. There is no app. As long as the phone is switched on, has power, it can just be touched on the reader and entry will be gained.

In theory this should be just as quick and easy as touching with a physical ticket. 

There will be long queues of people fumbling to open the app……….. not at the turnstiles, but at the cordon of security people that you have to produce a ticket to, to get into the ground.  That’s why I will still request a physical ticket.

Edited by Revitalised Red
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Revitalised Red said:

There will be long queues of people fumbling to open the app……….. not at the turnstiles, but at the cordon of security people that you have to produce a ticket to, to get into the ground.  That’s why I will still request a physical ticket.

Why do they even bother to do that?  Have they ever stopped anyone?  I don’t even get asked, I just whizz through with Joe, no Pat-down, no bag-check, no-nothing!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why do they even bother to do that?  Have they ever stopped anyone?  I don’t even get asked, I just whizz through with Joe, no Pat-down, no bag-check, no-nothing!

Maybe you don’t Dave for whatever reason, but (Winterstoke Road entrance) I get asked to show my ticket and my teenage grandson gets his bag checked.

7 minutes ago, Revitalised Red said:

Maybe you don’t Dave for whatever reason, but (Winterstoke Road entrance) I get asked to show my ticket and my teenage grandson gets his bag checked.

I enter via WR end too.  I guess Joe’s wheelchair probably gets him a “pass”.

Funny thing is, when I take my dad too (he’s 81), he always gets stopped. ???

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

image.png

Cheers Dave, very interesting figures.

As i thought, quite a large number of over 65's, but my assumption that the number was increasing (admittedly based on little more than most City fans I know having reached that age in the last year or two) was incorrect, in fact the number is marginally down.

For the purposes of the thread if we have 1,711 STH's aged 65 and over then 33% - 564 of them -  are likely to not have a smartphone.

• Like 1