IGNORED

U21s Euros

Bristol Rob

3 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Tactics seem as boring and slow as the first team!

They need to inject some pace!

Not a fan of the most successful England team since 1966 then. 

Interesting. 

You must be about 12. 

It's modern football, not just England, that's boring and slow, btw. You can thank Pep Guardiola for that. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Tactics seem as boring and slow as the first team!

They need to inject some pace!

That's the words of someone who sounds like they don't actually watch the first team and just repeat the same nonsense.

There's been little boring about our qualifying campaign so far

Or our Euro 20 (21) efforts, and arguably WC 22 though it ended sooner than we'd have liked. That France game was a great game and if it hadn't been for a very rare Kane miss we'd have pushed them further.

Nations league aside, where the team rotated quite a bit and seemed experimental, Southgate has produced some of the best performances I've seen from an England side.

I absolutely get that he'll be judged by what he wins, and ultimately each campaign has ended in failure, but we're making progress.

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

We have so many ballers coming through it’s unreal. Proper proper athletes. The standard of players coming through and quality of coaching, investment in facilities etc etc means we are just getting closer and closer to winning multiple WC/Euros in the future. 

And following on from above, this is the big change that we might not quite see in the current flock - though there's definitely signs of it with Saka and Bellingham. 

With the build of St George's Park there was an emphasis on changing the style and developing better players like they do on the continent.

There's evidence of this, with the u20s winning the World Cup in 2017, the u19s winning the Euros last year and now the u21s reaching a final again.

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

Interesting factoid that gave me a small smile. Last time we reached this final was 2009, when we lost to Germany.

Six of that Germany squad went on to win the World Cup. Seven of England’s went on to play for Sunderland.

Think this lot will do better.

Ozil, Boateng, Hummels, Khadira and Neuer to name a few

We had Lee Cattermole ?

• Like 1

On 06/07/2023 at 08:27, MarcusX said:

That's the words of someone who sounds like they don't actually watch the first team and just repeat the same nonsense.

There's been little boring about our qualifying campaign so far

Or our Euro 20 (21) efforts, and arguably WC 22 though it ended sooner than we'd have liked. That France game was a great game and if it hadn't been for a very rare Kane miss we'd have pushed them further.

Nations league aside, where the team rotated quite a bit and seemed experimental, Southgate has produced some of the best performances I've seen from an England side.

I absolutely get that he'll be judged by what he wins, and ultimately each campaign has ended in failure, but we're making progress.

And following on from above, this is the big change that we might not quite see in the current flock - though there's definitely signs of it with Saka and Bellingham. 

With the build of St George's Park there was an emphasis on changing the style and developing better players like they do on the continent.

There's evidence of this, with the u20s winning the World Cup in 2017, the u19s winning the Euros last year and now the u21s reaching a final again.

Ozil, Boateng, Hummels, Khadira and Neuer to name a few

We had Lee Cattermole ?

Reluctantly, I can't argue with statement in bold, although I feel obliged to remark that he's produced some of the worst too. I don't think I'll ever get over his decision some years back to play two holding midfielders away to Malta which ended with a flattering scoreline due to 3 late goals and some dodgy keeping. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Get the app if you can and the cast or screen mirror to TV, it's really easy and the quality has been very good

FWIW, I’ve got a Samsung Q60 (nothing flashy) series smart tv….with a browser.  I opened that up, got to uefa page and got a message that “your tv may work properly with video”, but I progressed anyway.  Was absolutely fine, full screen too.

Download “Smart Things” app on your phone / iPad if you have a Samsung tv, you can use that to type text and move the cursor.

18 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Reluctantly, I can't argue with statement in bold, although I feel obliged to remark that he's produced some of the worst too. I don't think I'll ever get over his decision some years back to play two holding midfielders away to Malta which ended with a flattering scoreline due to 3 late goals and some dodgy keeping. 

Absolutely, he’s not without fault. I was at the Hungary 4-0 in the Nations League and there’s been a handful of poor results but I think he’s well in credit.

His biggest achievement is the “club” mentality he seems to have nurtured in the camp and got a lot more people taking interest in England again. This generation may fall short of the final prize, but if the roots are planted and we continue with the philosophy then I’m hopeful we’ll get there. We’ve got younger age groups winning tournaments now.

• Admin
19 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Absolutely, he’s not without fault. I was at the Hungary 4-0 in the Nations League and there’s been a handful of poor results but I think he’s well in credit.

His biggest achievement is the “club” mentality he seems to have nurtured in the camp and got a lot more people taking interest in England again. This generation may fall short of the final prize, but if the roots are planted and we continue with the philosophy then I’m hopeful we’ll get there. We’ve got younger age groups winning tournaments now.

The difference now is these players winning youth tournaments will graduate to an already better performing senior team ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

Channel 4 at 5pm today if you want to watch the final 

I have read this elsewhere on the thread, but when I check the schedules on the my smart TV's programme guide it is not showing, which seems odd. Can I ask where people have seen that C4 is screening this game?

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I have read this elsewhere on the thread, but when I check the schedules on the my smart TV's programme guide it is not showing, which seems odd. Can I ask where people have seen that C4 is screening this game?

It’s on Sky Tv planner.

Its also on my TV’s Freeview planner….16:45 programme start.

• Thanks 1

Spanish seem to be extremely good at throwing themselves on the floor and rolling around. They should watch a bit of women's football. They might learn how to get up and get on with it!

Edited by Slacker

4 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Spanish seem to be extremely good at throwing themselves on the floor and rolling around. They should watch a bit of women's football. They might learn how to get up and get on with it!

Your comment was an equivalent of commentators curse as Anthony Gordon rolled more times than someone tripping over whilst chasing a double Gloucester cheese down Cleeve hill. 

• Like 2