IGNORED

RIP Chris Garland

That 90th minute winner v Liverpool in 1977 that gave us a chance of staying up! The official attendance was about 38000, I think, but people were 4 deep on the Dolman steps. He was a good, genuine bloke who lived a good, latterly brave life. Rest in peace Chris and thanks for the memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So sad to hear this new’s .I’ll always remember Chris as a very Quick, skilful & brave player , he was brilliant in the Garland / Galley partnership throughout the late 60’s & early seventies. Had the the pleasure of meeting my all time city favourite , when the city player’s visited my local community centre, due to the club lottery , that raised good revenue at the time . I found as expected that Chris was very friendly and easy to talk too. RIP Chris 

• Like 2

Can’t believe it. Another one of my boyhood heroes gone.
Great professional, loved City, always gave 100%. I sincerely hope the club does something to acknowledge CG. That 76 season was the best season for watching City. The Liverpool home game will live long in the memory of those who were there.
RIP Chris Garland. A true gentleman.

• Like 3

Saddened to hear of his passing, but perhaps some sort of relief after the later years with his health. Condolencies to all the family and friends.

I had the pleasure of meeting Chris when I was a scrawny, spotty-faced kid trying to break into local football as he often helped out in the club's training sessions. Older types may remember exercises where a player would be on piggy-back, then have to get off, through their legs forwards, then backwards, then round them, then back onto their backs again. Chris picked me (perhaps being the lightest) and I realised how solidly-built he was, although he was not so obvious on the park. Strong and balanced.

Also remember him trying a diving header one City game but cracked into the post and spent the following week with his head in a support collar. Got some stick for that one.

But it's difficult to compare him to most modern players and times. His commitment and love for his home club never faded, and that will be his lasting memory even among all the goals and glamour. Could you imagine a young player of today doing so many (unpaid) things for the club. His sort were few and far between in the day, never mind today.

RIP Chris and thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1960's, takes over from Big John and becomes a sensation with John Galley.

1970's comes home to save his boyhood club from relegation in their first season and what important goals they were!

1980's Tears his contract up to save the club and comes back to play on non contract terms, literally for nothing.

I'm pleased to of met you Mr Garland and you Sir in my eyes are a Bristol City LEGEND.

May you RIP.

Ps thanks for that goal against the gas, that really took the piss! Xxx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 14/07/2023 at 00:58, hooered said:

Spotted playing football in Greville Smyth Park to watching his debut in 1966 under Alan Dicks Fred Ford then returning to play in a city shirt again to save us from relegation from the old first division Chris had city blood running through his veins a truly gifted player and a fantastic bloke RIP Chris you will not be forgotten by me or our club condolences to your family.

I had the fortune to see him play in all of his three spells with the Club.

I remember, as a young boy, his partnership with John Galley, and also his return when we were in the old First Division, especially the Leeds and Liverpool matches, and what a cracker that Liverpool match was.

Unfortunately, I had become a very infrequent attendee when he returned for his third spell.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say I had a trial with Bristol City in the early sixties and met the legend that is Chris Garland.I will always remember he was just about to shower after training and asked me to get him some shampoo from the shop on the corner by Ashton Gate.A lovely friendly man and a memory I will treasure for ever.

Graham Male.

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Graham Male said:

Hi everyone.

I know it is all about personal opinions but I think the Chris Garland and John Galley partnership was one of the best Bristol City forward combinations.Watched them play together many many times.

Listening to those who watched at that time I'd say the vast majority of people are in agreement with you 

10 hours ago, Graham Male said:

Hi everyone.

I know it is all about personal opinions but I think the Chris Garland and John Galley partnership was one of the best Bristol City forward combinations.Watched them play together many many times.

add to them 2 other "G" icons Gow and Gibson, a rocking time to be watching The City from The Eastend, Ashton Gate; proper days at the footie.....thanks for the memories Chris and co .....R.I.P now, ?