IGNORED

City v Newport - City v Oxford

Red Army 75

Just now, INCRED said:

It makes you wonder with all the transfer speculation and bids, why bother playing and planning these tactical positions if he is going to leave - or maybe not??

I have never been entirely convinced he would leave this summer and I'm still not. They are playing him in the way they are - in my opinion - as part of our preparations, because, for now at least, they expect him to be part of the team.

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I have never known pre season results like this. Just hope we have not peaked to early. I think Portsmouth will give us a better idea.

I am very happy with the squad we have and how things seem to be going , but I will only stick my head over the parapet so to speak and take any sort of notice is with the game at Portsmouth , firstly tougher competition and also away in front of an actual proper crowd . 
in the meantime am quite happy to be dicking the minnow side 5 or 6 

Wouldn't get too excited about the goal tally - it simply reflects the quality of the opposition. Just about getting minutes into the legs at this stage, though that said, it never does  confidence any harm to bang a few in. The remaining friendlies might tell us a bit more. In the meantime, you can only beat what's put in front of you, and they've certainly done that.

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Is there actually any benefit to these pre-season games against a bunch of jokers every time. Perhaps for fitness but I would think we would be better off actually have some competitive games to bring players up to championship standard…not league 2 or non league 

How pre season normally works, no? Games get more serious the closer to the start of the season.

9 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Is there actually any benefit to these pre-season games against a bunch of jokers every time. Perhaps for fitness but I would think we would be better off actually have some competitive games to bring players up to championship standard…not league 2 or non league 

Helps with fitness and match sharpness and team cohesion theres only so much you can do on the training pitch.

you don't want to jump into the deep end and say lose 3-0 to a European team and then keep getting loses because that'll lower confidence heading into the season.

8 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Fitness mainly. First 90 mins for the players. Been impressed with the work rate of the team to be fair. Plus I think you can see that we are championship standard by the way we are playing v a league 2 side. 

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Fitness mainly. First 90 mins for the players. Been impressed with the work rate of the team to be fair. Plus I think you can see that we are championship standard by the way we are playing v a league 2 side. 

Absolutely right. I thought Joe Williams was starting to show the benefits of getting an injury-free (so far) pre-season under his belt. Had a busy game today, which was encouraging to see. I would love to think that we might yet see the player that we signed when he joined from Wigan, before all his fitness problems.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, eardun said:

Let's see a pass completion rate that high v PNE.

20 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Wouldn't get too excited about the goal tally - it simply reflects the quality of the opposition. Just about getting minutes into the legs at this stage, though that said, it never does  confidence any harm to bang a few in. The remaining friendlies might tell us a bit more. In the meantime, you can only beat what's put in front of you, and they've certainly done that.

I get you but 8-0 is impressive I think. Imagine it was a cup game. Didn’t we start off with a big win against Plymouth in our cup run season? Think it is good we are dominant against these sides. Don’t think we were dominant last summer against similar sides. Shows everyone starting off that the top of their game imo. Portsmouth be real test though I think. Get a good idea then

• Like 3

Rob Atkinson was very negative about the level of opposition we're facing. He'd much rather we played teams from a higher level.

He also said the defence for the first game is obvious, then backtracked a bit around the full back positions. I'm guessing he meant McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie and Pring. 

Interesting that at Oxford, Atkinson was initially understudy to Dickie, with Dickie expected to be snapped up by a bigger club at some point. Now he's back in competition with him.