IGNORED

Was Nigel Pearson Lying

Redandproud

20 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If it's being lied to that you're worried about, I can think of more important examples to get worked up about. 

So out of interest, did you fire off an angry letter to the Telegraph about that fat prck of a prime minister we had not so long ago? Or perhaps you were on the Stop the War march before our illegal invasion of Iraq, way back when? Then again  maybe such matters are a mere trifle, compared to what a football manager said to some hacks before a Milk Cup tie (or whatever it's called these days)?

Fair play, if so. Wish I could be more like it. 

That's a great rant! One of the best on here recently! I can almost sense the relief as you get that off your chest ?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Back in the day it was the complete opposite though. Nearly full ground but literally thousands less being announced, someone was definitely on the fiddle.

Yes and no IMO. For part of the 1980s football attendances absolutely plummeted nationwide and it took some while to recover into the 1990s again across the board. I did wonder about it about 20 years ago for some League One games.

Depending on when exactly you're talking about of course.

I've seen some footage of 1980s football, was measured differently but at same time was not that well attended for certain periods.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes and no IMO. For part of the 1980s football attendances absolutely plummeted nationwide and it took some while to recover into the 1990s again across the board. I did wonder about it about 20 years ago for some League One games.

Late 80s, early 90s at a guess. I will say I may well be wrong on the "nearly full" part as it was that long ago, but you certainly knew when there more or less people in there, and some weeks would give out a lower amount than the game before when there were clearly more people in there.

Attendances were given out that were no way true, as said above by another poster loads of people used to laugh when they were given out (it maybe my mind playing tricks on me but I am sure it used to get a huge laugh). Used to be a bit of a joke of "guess the attendance" behind the dugout with my dad and his mates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Late 80s, early 90s at a guess. I will say I may well be wrong on the "nearly full" part as it was that long ago, but you certainly knew when there more or less people in there, and some weeks would give out a lower amount than the game before when there were clearly more people in there.

Attendances were given out that were no way true, as said above by another poster loads of people used to laugh when they were given out (it maybe my mind playing tricks on me but I am sure it used to get a huge laugh). Used to be a bit of a joke of "guess the attendance" behind the dugout with my dad and his mates.

Things were definitely recovering by then and thanks for the context.

I'm just thinking nationally early to mid 1980s was a definite issue for attendances across the country. Varied by region of course and different reasons behind it too.

14 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Definitely I can remember a game from that era, where a crowd was met with howls of derision, only for the club to report a larger crowd a few days later, saying there was a “technical issue “ with some of the turnstiles ?

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've seen some footage of 1980s football, was measured differently but at same time was not that well attended for certain periods.

Do you remember when the IR started taking aerial photographs of football matches?!! They obviously felt there was a problem back then. I do remember one particular game backing up the point of @Oh Louie louiewhere an attendance was given out, the whole ground burst into laughter and lo and behold we had a turnstile counting error and the attendance was revised significantly upwards.

Edited by Numero Uno

8 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Definitely I can remember a game from that era, where a crowd was met with howls of derision, only for the club to report a larger crowd a few days later, saying there was a “technical issue “ with some of the turnstiles ?

I honestly think someone, or a few people must have made a fortune out of the club back then. Doubt it was too hard to cover up either.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 09:21, Redandproud said:

Nigel person said in a pre-match press conference that Alex Scott was injured, then we find whilst the game was being played last night he is a Bournemouth having a medical,as stated by SSN , was he lying to the fans, 

Bournemouth say he is out until October, perhaps you owe Nige an apology? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

Me too, back in the Les Kew days..

Basically turned into a crowd participation version of Play your cards right, the figure went up significantly after the booing, absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1

I used to use the Midland Bank in North Street back in the day. One time I was in the queue behind Les Kew and got pretty frustrated with the time it took the cashier to sort out the large bag of coins Mr Kew was depositing.

Always made me wonder where that might of come from....?

All the same, attendances clearly plummeted nationwide for parts of the 1980s, we surely weren't immune.

Perhaps some of some understated attendances but I occasionally used to wonder about the 10-11k of late 1990s to early 2000s in League One as it looked reasonably full the away end aside. A couple of thousand light maybe for a time.

• Like 2

Cotts era an interesting one really..a little conflicted. Mostly fond memories and praise.

I don't think he got what he deserved, and the same goes for his time in football more widely too, but a bit of Year One patience and pragmatism as finances grew may have served him well. Sort of look to steady Year 1 and grow from there.

We'll never know but is a shame how it ended. We definitely IMO begun weaker or thinner in 2015-16 than the squad we came up with which is very disappointing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Me too, back in the Les Kew days..

Basically turned into a crowd participation version of Play your cards right, the figure went up significantly after the booing, absolutely hilarious.

The biggest con for me of that era was the Liverpool home game in the cup.

1-1 and then the floodlights "failed". The game was obviously abandoned, but good old Les made everyone pay again to come back for a replay, that also finished in a draw., rather than let everybody back for free.

Can't quite remember what happened in the replay at Ainfield???.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, TheReds said:

I remember this well, used to be a regular thing. The matchday announcer would start reading out “todays attendance is…” and everyone would start laughing when the figure was announced, a few shouts of disbelief mixed in. I’m sure it wasn’t just us tbf, lots of clubs probably did it.

Today attendances are calculated on tickets sold where as back then it was people through the turnstiles.