IGNORED

I'm not very well and I don't know where else to go

Porto Red

11 hours ago, Porto Red said:

Sorry I ran out of likes, thank you each one of you who took the time to reply, I feel suitably embarrassed now because there are most people in life with better reasons to be messed up than mine, just all came to a head this evening but I'm ok really. You guys are heroes really. I'm going back in my shell now .

Never feel embarrassed for calling out when you're struggling PR.  The most important thing you can do is to reach out and ask for help. 

As others have said, always here to chat.

This thread shows OTIB at its best.

Edited by Loco Rojo

Have just come across this, restores my faith in humanity & a massive well done to everyone who posted a reply. & of course a massive well done to @Porto Red for opening up & talking. Best thing you can ever do is to open up, talk & sometimes ask for help. We don’t always all agree on here & that’s football, but love the reaction to this thread. Well done all. COYR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Porto Red said:

Sorry I ran out of likes, thank you each one of you who took the time to reply, I feel suitably embarrassed now because there are most people in life with better reasons to be messed up than mine, just all came to a head this evening but I'm ok really. You guys are heroes really. I'm going back in my shell now .

Please don’t ever think like that mate. Where as it may seem right to a degree - there will always be people elsewhere in the world possibly in worst circumstances - it shouldn’t mean we should ever feel our own troubles are less important. 

I’ll openly admit I’ve struggled with my mental health for a number of years and used to feel exactly like you - in that I used to look at myself and think “I shouldn’t feel like this, there are people far worse off then me”. All you do is suppress your troubles and it’s builds and builds inside you ….

Then one day it all came to a head and I reached out to my GP and got the help I need. 

Please don’t go back into your shell, look to  talk to your GP, your friends - and genuinely feel free to reach out to us on here if you need someone to talk to .

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

As someone who has tried to kill themselves on two occasions, I hope you're okay and get the help you need. For me, I hope at some point it will be third time lucky. 

Surely you don’t really mean that? As others in this thread have said and offered help is available.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ziderarmy said:

Surely you don’t really mean that? As others in this thread have said and offered help is available.

It all comes down to whether you like life or not, I get up most days and I'm unhappy. Through mistakes in life, I have few friends, family is not close, and if it weren't for the animals who depend on me, I would have ended it this last 6-9 months. I've battled depression for years. I've battled other things as well. I've watched everything good in life evaporate and I guess not everyone has things to be happy about. 

It's not always about wanting help, it's not always about thinking things can be better. Sometimes things happen in life, which make life not enjoyable, and no matter what you do, things hold you back. People are so judgemental in life and don't know the hell you've been through and even if you make a mistake, you can't get away from it. People judge and talk and taunt you and it leaves you permanently at rock bottom. You don't want to go out and do things, as you don't want people to see the wreck you've become, you read what people say without knowing the truth and the world judges.

I'm at peace with life, I enjoy my work, although it doesn't do a lot for me, and I have more animals than friends. In fact I would say aside of people who I chat to on line, who many I've physically never met, I don't have any real friends. So I do 100% mean it. I won't miss the world, and the world wont miss me.

I can live with that. Too many people aren't open with how they feel. There is no shame in saying you would rather be dead, the fact is, many people talk you out of it, thinking it will be better for you, sadly it really isn't. 

Life isn't always about simple things, for some people stuff happens and people are quick to put you down, as MJ once famously, "just because you read it in a magazine or seen it on a TV screen don't mean it's factual, but everybody wants to talk all about it".

A good few years ago, I got myself in a mess, through trusting others, in return I let most people down I knew and were friends, I made matters worse for myself, and imploded. I made mistakes, and paid heavy for them, but you can never escape them. You read things which are untrue and no matter how much you wanna scream out, it makes no odds.

I'm not saying I'll kill myself today, I mean I have parents who are elderly and I would never put them through that, as other family who rarely speak to me will never forgive me. I also have animals who depend on me, and I have bookings in work until March next year that need to be honoured, so I wont do anything soon, but there will come a point, where I will do what I wish I done a long time ago.

I appreciate, that this may not be an easy read and many wont understand but I don't want sympathy, I don't want help, I just don't want the run down smashed up life I have and spend every day having to fight a corner, which no one knows anything about.

I would have got a cleaner break if I killed someone. The world moves on, but life doesn't. 

We don't all have a nice life, that's just the way it is. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 3

16 hours ago, Porto Red said:

Whatever other people might be going through doesn't mean your feelings are any less valid - you don't need to be in your shell either.

Some of those services linked by others are great help :)

I'm late to the party, but despite being in the US I can still speak Bristolian so if anyone needs to speak/confide confidentially I am always available too. Acknowledging you need to talk to someone is a massive step in itself. So nice to know we all have Fellow Reds that we can lean on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

As someone who has tried to kill themselves on two occasions, I hope you're okay and get the help you need. For me, I hope at some point it will be third time lucky. 

Mate, if you really feel that way there are hundreds of options of professional helplines and support services to reach out to, as well as absolutely everyone on this forum constantly having their messages open for you to reach out if you need to.

We’ve all felt low at some point. Personally, during lockdown I felt like I was down in the dumps, felt like everyone was forever against me. I finally built the courage to reach out to loved ones and some external help and I managed to get myself up the ladder and feel so much better about myself. These days, Im loving life and feeling more and more like myself day by day.

Were all in this together mate, life is never perfect and never will be, but we are all brilliant in our own ways.

Wishing you all the best.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

It all comes down to whether you like life or not, I get up most days and I'm unhappy. Through mistakes in life, I have few friends, family is not close, and if it weren't for the animals who depend on me, I would have ended it this last 6-9 months. I've battled depression for years. I've battled other things as well. I've watched everything good in life evaporate and I guess not everyone has things to be happy about. 

It's not always about wanting help, it's not always about thinking things can be better. Sometimes things happen in life, which make life not enjoyable, and no matter what you do, things hold you back. People are so judgemental in life and don't know the hell you've been through and even if you make a mistake, you can't get away from it. People judge and talk and taunt you and it leaves you permanently at rock bottom. You don't want to go out and do things, as you don't want people to see the wreck you've become, you read what people say without knowing the truth and the world judges.

I'm at peace with life, I enjoy my work, although it doesn't do a lot for me, and I have more animals than friends. In fact I would say aside of people who I chat to on line, who many I've physically never met, I don't have any real friends. So I do 100% mean it. I won't miss the world, and the world wont miss me.

I can live with that. Too many people aren't open with how they feel. There is no shame in saying you would rather be dead, the fact is, many people talk you out of it, thinking it will be better for you, sadly it really isn't. 

Life isn't always about simple things, for some people stuff happens and people are quick to put you down, as MJ once famously, "just because you read it in a magazine or seen it on a TV screen don't mean it's factual, but everybody wants to talk all about it".

A good few years ago, I got myself in a mess, through trusting others, in return I let most people down I knew and were friends, I made matters worse for myself, and imploded. I made mistakes, and paid heavy for them, but you can never escape them. You read things which are untrue and no matter how much you wanna scream out, it makes no odds.

I'm not saying I'll kill myself today, I mean I have parents who are elderly and I would never put them through that, as other family who rarely speak to me will never forgive me. I also have animals who depend on me, and I have bookings in work until March next year that need to be honoured, so I wont do anything soon, but there will come a point, where I will do what I wish I done a long time ago.

I appreciate, that this may not be an easy read and many wont understand but I don't want sympathy, I don't want help, I just don't want the run down smashed up life I have and spend every day having to fight a corner, which no one knows anything about.

I would have got a cleaner break if I killed someone. The world moves on, but life doesn't. 

Thanks for sharing mate. As much as that was a hard read because I'd hope that you felt better about life, it was a very honest and meaningful insight.

Naturally, like everyone else, I hope there are professionals that can help people like yourself for whom life doesn't feel worthwhile. 

But also I hope there are small but important pleasures that you can hold on to in your life that keep you going. Football is one very obvious example, or music or film etc etc. For all the stupidness in this world there are so many things I just find beautiful and compelling and keep me interested, and I hope you can find that too.

• Like 4

Only just saw this but wow what a lovely thread, well done everyone ?.  I generally have a very negative view of the internet and social media but have to admit that this shows it can also be a force for good sometimes.  

Best wishes to you @Porto Red hope you’re in a better place soon and loads of respect for speaking up and asking for help, that’s true bravery even if it doesn’t feel like it right now 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

It really saddens me that you feel like this. We all make mistakes in life believe me, I've made loads. I hope you find peace in yourself to enjoy the simple things in life enjoyable. Thinking of you fella.

• Like 2

This has been a tough read and has bought a tear to the eye. I’ve never been in the position Porto and Robin are in, but I’ve a child who’s tried to overdose so this does hit hard. I know her reasons for it and every day is a struggle for her, but I’m honest with her and tell her I don’t understand why she would rather not be here with her family and friends and would want to put them through the hurt. She tells me it’s something she can’t explain in a way I would ever understand and unless you have been to that place you just won’t ever understand. When I feel things are “normal” I get a call out the blue to say she is having one of her episodes and all you can do is watch her and hope she does nothing stupid.

I wouldn’t want to patronise @Porto Red and @robinforlife2 with words that won’t help, but hope you both manage to find it in yourselves, or in someone else, to deal with your situations in a positive way.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 3

6 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Thanks for the honest and very frank reply, I must admit I found that hard to read.

We’re all human and make mistakes, nobodies perfect. You mist enjoy something in life no matter how small though I’m sure? I assume that cause your on this forum your a fellow City fan and enjoy football and hopefully the wider sporting world?

You sound like you enjoy animals. If so why don’t you try and get more involved with that and perhaps looks to change careers if you gain more enjoyment that way?

I hope you find some happiness in life and can turn around what sounds like a very dark situation at present. Please always remember tomorrow is a new day with a blank canvas.

I wish you all the best. Take care. 

Edited by Ziderarmy
  • Like 1

Only just seen this, what wonderful support, as someone who struggles mentally myself. It's great to see there are lots of people willing to help, mens mental health is not addressed enough imo, I'm active on twitter to raise awareness around it if ever anyone needs a chat please message I will always respond. Never suffer alone.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Hope you can find strength from the things in life you enjoy mate. However if you do ever want to talk feel free to DM at anytime. No judgements here, happy to talk and listen. Stay strong mate 

• Like 1

Evening all

After reading a few posts across this forum the last few days from different people regarding their thoughts, feelings and what they are going through, I just thought it was important to mention I am here should anyone need to talk.

Some of it has been difficult reading in parts but it also goes to show we all have our battles in life. I think it’s also very clear that there are a lot of good people on this forum and we all share one thing in common, regardless of our situations, talking is good and can help. I am more than happy to talk or listen to anyone going through a hard time. DM’s always open to any fellow reds, anytime.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

That was a tough read and I'm truly sorry you feel that way and you've these experiences.

Your post resonates with me, as it could have been written by the person in my life who is in a similar place to you.

I wish I could tell him how much I love him and how I proud I am of him despite the things that went wrong.

As someone else said I really don't want to sound patronising or say the usual words but I'm sure there are people who feel the same way towards you, even people you may not expect.

If it's any comfort at all, your post has encouraged me to reach out to my Dad and see if he wants to go watch the City again like the old days.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 4

Welling up as I read this. Wonderful support offered along with well crafted, heartfelt words. Like Ivan, I have a daughter who is really struggling and that affects everything. However she did eventually agree to having help and she is a little better now. 
Robin may not want help now but that is a recognised stage. Help is available when that stage passes but it isn’t easy to find the right help as services have been so run down. 
Wishing you all a better day!! Uredzzz

On 15/08/2023 at 22:19, Porto Red said:

I feel suitably embarrassed now

You shouldn’t.

Asking for help is not only very brave but absolutely the right thing to do.

You’ll find that many people on here have struggled with physical or mental health and if there’s anything you need to talk over there’s plenty of us on here willing to listen.

Just don’t ever bottle it up pal.

27 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

You shouldn’t.

Asking for help is not only very brave but absolutely the right thing to do.

You’ll find that many people on here have struggled with physical or mental health and if there’s anything you need to talk over there’s plenty of us on here willing to listen.

Just don’t ever bottle it up pal.

Exactly this. I’ve always found it strange that if someone asked for help for a heart attack or a liver condition etc, people wouldn’t feel the need to be embarrassed or ashamed. I don’t understand why people would feel awkward about asking for help when it comes to the brain. Literally the (one of the) most vital organ. Humans are funny aren’t they! I’m glad that’s it’s changing though. 

• Like 5