IGNORED

Birmingham City at home match thread

Roberts looked okay, James did his usual thing, Sykes did alright but really needs to learn to beat the front man. Max made a few good saves but kicking really poor. 

Dickie probably the stand-out again in a poor group of individual performances, and they looked like individuals today, not a team performance whatsoever.

Rest of them didn't do much at all, Williams, Knight, Tanner, Bell, Cornick and Mehmeti all letting the game pass them by. Really really poor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, DaveF said:

3 games in...

What we need, I reckon, is a promising young coach, no real experience as yet, but lots of potential, talks a good game and good with jargon and innovative training ideas. Give him £20- £30m to burn, overseen by an experienced but slightly tricky CEO, and jobs a good un.

Edited by Bedred31
  • Haha 8
Just now, petehinton said:

I honestly think we’ve been alright. A bit meh. But 2-0 flatters them. Scored a worldie volley and a breakaway against a team with 10 men about 2 minutes after wells misses from 3 yards. Poor but doesn’t turn us into a horrific side overnight. 

I’d say this is the beginning of Pearson being under pressure though. Clearly hasn’t got a good relationship with the ownership and with 7 months on his contract will be very cheap to get rid of. 

Yeah, fair enough mate. 

I think my outlook isn't much different to yours, honestly. 

In three tough fixtures (albeit two at home), two things are clear...

1. This won't be a relegation battle, and 

2. We won't be threatening the playoffs...

...Unless something significant changes, such as a tactical change (two up top?), new signings, or some crazy good luck.

I felt such a lot of optimism last week against a poor Millwall side but that has completely evaporated today. Forwards and midfield have been poor but defence has been okay. We need a midfielder who's able to create and a forward that looks like he can score with a decent ratio to chances created. At the moment our current forwards win nothing in the air so living off scraps that they get. For a home performance with a decent crowd it's been a bloody hard watch. The blues commentators favourite words today..... Bristol City with another hopeful/poor ball into the box.

• Like 1

To be fair I understand why people want Pearson out, he talks about wanting to push up to playoff spots/having improved the squad etc, yet we just don’t look good going forward. We don’t even look average. 

He has guided the club through turbulent times as best as anyone could have I don’t think many will deny that. 

And his promotion of youth talents has been outstanding. But is he the manager to make use of those assests now? I’m not so sure. 

Doesn’t seem to be any noticeable style of play going forward at all, with the exception of punting it long to our 5 “9 strikers? Players seems scared to take on opponents, our midfield seems disjointed from our attacking play and when the ball finally does break down the wing there is only ever 1 man in the box to receive it.

Too early to call for peoples heads imo, and we might (hopefully) bring in another player with a creative outlet. But currently, feels like most teams have us figured out.  

Edit: Like others have said, by no means do I think we are relegation battle candidates, just seems obvious to me that this is the start of another midtable season, where we lose our two best players at the end of it and are back another 2 steps.

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 3

This beginning to look like an LJ team. Players thinking that they are earning their wage by being safe and playing it sideways. 

The more I watch Sam Bell the more he looks like an under 14 trying to play men’s football. Lightweight, getting knocked off the ball and can’t kick the ball hard enough to deliver a cross.

Think we’re in for a frustrating season again.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
Just now, George Rs said:

To be fair I understand why people want Pearson out, he talks about wanting to push up to playoff spots/having improved the squad etc, yet we just don’t look good going forward. We don’t even look average. 

He has guided the club through turbulent times as best as anyone could have I don’t think many will deny that. 

And his promotion of youth talents has been outstanding. But is he the manager to make use of those assests now? I’m not so sure. 

Doesn’t seem to be any noticeable style of play going forward at all, with the exception of punting it long to our 5 “9 strikers? Players seems scared to take on opponents, our midfield seems disjointed from our attacking play and when the ball finally does break down the wing there is only ever 1 man in the box to receive it.

Too early to call for peoples heads imo, and we might (hopefully) bring in another player with a creative outlet. But currently, feels like most teams have us figured out.  

His signings……ropey at best.

Were an average team that put's in average performances. Over the course of the season we will probably get enough points for an average league finish. That's the reality of our club at the moment. We have to move on our star's to stay average and regardless of what we as fan's think and want this will be the way of it.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Roberts looked okay, James did his usual thing, Sykes did alright but really needs to learn to beat the front man. Max made a few good saves but kicking really poor. 

Dickie probably the stand-out again in a poor group of individual performances, and they looked like individuals today, not a team performance whatsoever.

Rest of them didn't do much at all, Williams, Knight, Tanner, Bell, Cornick and Mehmeti all letting the game pass them by. Really really poor.

And of course, nothing to do with persons management or team selection and tactics.

4 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

Re read my last post. Saves me re explaining.

I don't need explaining, Brum were singing before the match, did the players do anything for that? No.

If we were 5-0 down I could understand us being so quiet, but we were in the game until it was 2-0 and our fans have been quiet... if the players aren't playing hard enough you cheer them on, you don't moan and groan and sit silent. Plenty of teams play poorly and when their fans get behind them and cheer them on go on to perform better. The negative atmosphere creates a negative and defeatist attitude and that's coming from someone who focuses on negatives over positives. Honestly, our fans were as bad as the team today.

Edit: with the exception of section 82 who tried to do something positive.

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2
Just now, Spike said:

I don't need explaining, Brum were singing before the match, did the players do anything for that? No.

If we were 5-0 down I could understand us being so quiet, but we were in the game until it was 2-0 and our fans have been quiet... if the players aren't playing hard enough you cheer them on, you don't moan and groan and sit silent. Plenty of teams play poorly and when their fans get behind them and cheer them on go on to perform better. The negative atmosphere creates a negative and defeatist attitude and that's coming from someone who focuses on negatives over positives. Honestly, our fans were as bad as the team today.

Edit: with the exception of section 82 who tried to do something positive.

That’s not true mate.

You couldn’t have been at the game ?

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, fair enough mate. 

I think my outlook isn't much different to yours, honestly. 

In three tough fixtures (albeit two at home), two things are clear...

1. This won't be a relegation battle, and 

2. We won't be threatening the playoffs...

...Unless something significant changes, such as a tactical change (two up top?), new signings, or some crazy good luck.

People say this is the toughest championship ever. Then seem surprised when we don’t blow teams away every minute of the game. These beat Leeds last week, and tbh on another day feasibly we drew with them 1-1 with ten men. Shit happens. 

What makes it worse is that it seems to always happen in the home games. I think ultimately that’s what will push SL over the edge if it doesn’t change soon. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Gert Mare said:

This beginning to look like an LJ team. Players thinking that they are earning their wage by being safe and playing it sideways. 

The more I watch Sam Bell the more he looks like an under 14 trying to play men’s football. Lightweight, getting knocked off the ball and can’t kick the ball hard enough to deliver a cross.

Think we’re in for a frustrating season again.

We're not going to be scoring many goals with our current crop of forwards....just a pity Conway isn't available for a few months.

• Like 4

Even first half until we fell asleep in injury time. Sluggish 2nd half. Agree on the LJ shout. Shitty, chippy, half-hearted, weak crosses into the box have never floated my boat and are a piece of cake to defend. Controversial I know but I’m not sold at all on Sam Bell but I acknowledge he needs games. No complaints with the second yellow. Need to take a long hard look at themselves. 

Could be worse mind, I didn’t even know Cambridge were in the football league.

Edited by real_bristol
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

What we need, I reckon, is a promising young coach, no real experience as yet, but lots of potential, talks a good game and good with jargon and innovative training ideas. Give him £20- £30m to burn, overseen by an experienced but slightly tricky CEO, and jobs a good un.

Panicking already?

7 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Your halfway there with your username -

Swap red for wet - job done 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1