IGNORED

Birmingham City at home match thread

We've lost our only midfield player who can carry the ball and haven't replaced him as yet. That's got to be a main priority to sort out. We are so pedestrian and passive. I am struggling to find a positive. Brum were at us from the off and we were always second best. Not sure what Nige was seeing but Cornick and Mehmeti didn't carry much of a threat and Sam Bell hasn't the physical presence to play as a number nine. He faired better when played out wide. This league is a lot tougher this season so to lose with ten men and not even have a shot on target to a generally thought of mid table team is really worrying.

I honestly think that club haven't fully realised what a special talent Alex Scott was so to lose a player of that magnitude they surely should've had a replacement lined up. You would've thought so, wouldn't you?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
10 minutes ago, Jose said:

How many managers do we need to go through before people see that the problem starts at the top?! 

What people at the top though? The only proof of life we’ve had from SL has been him patting himself on the back for flogging Scott, as an aside because he wanted to talk about his new golf course.  

As for the chairman……

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We have sold the best 2 players at our club, and our one quality striker is missing for 3 months.  At present we are looking like a mid table side.  But..............we have 25 mill in the bank, and regular gates of over 20k.   Wage ceiling or not?  We either  need  to bring in a new forward and some quality in midfield or resign ourselves to an average season?  It's early days, but the signs are not encouraging with our current set up.  So do we   stick or twist  ?     

Sl needs to put up , next couple of weeks will show us if he’s still interested in the club.

39 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

How is this goalscorer going to score when we create nothing some games, precious little in others????

We need a better midfield - at least one, if not two, mobile players who can receive and pass the ball without everyone holding their breath in trepidation. Then the goalscoring will take care of itself. 

We definitely need someone upfront that is capable of being able to beat a defender in the air. We hit so many hopeful balls in the air directed at small forwards and very rarely get a chance from a knockdown.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

He won’t be here at Christmas if we carry on and that’s not me wanting him gone, I just don’t think he and SL see eye to eye. We know how that ends, I think Nige deserves much better backing wise. 

He won't back someone that is more popular than him. That's the crux of it, and it's been proven.

• Hmmm 1

We mustn't panic because we've lost one game. If we'd gone in 0-0 at half time I wouldn't have been too disappointed, we dominated possession for long spells and neither team had much in front of goal. It's always more difficult chasing the game and we lost our composure second half and made some simple errors, the sending off was a kick in the teeth. Let's wait and see where we are after ten games, Nige still isn't sure what his best 11 are yet (like last season).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It’s a tough one. Personally I don’t see Pearson here past this season - who knows, he may even be gone sooner - is it really a good idea giving him more money? 

Depends doesn’t it, if Lansdown has made his mind up on Pearson then IMO that would be premature and knee-jerk. He has  been given absolute buttons to spend and has been forced to sell his best players. Hardly been a fair craic at the whip has it.

• Like 2

I thought the game was fairly even.

They had a bit more threat upfront and more shots on goal.

Bell through the middle is actually mental.

How anybody thinks that could work does not know football -Sorry Nige

Cornick is never worth a start. Not sure what he actually is and I don’t think he knows. I would off load as a make in a deal for a Striker if possible.

Today could be a good result if it brings a sense to the men upstairs.

We need desperately someone with more physicality upfront who will make the oppositions CB work and think about what they need to do.

No disrespect to Sam but they must have laughed when they saw he was playing through the middle.

Creativity is a problem but that is a ‘special’ type of player that is not easy to find or recruit.  

But we do need something that means James and Williams don’t play together as to much of the same.

I actually thought Knight was ok and not as bad as some have said.

One or 2 players in could make a massive difference to this season.

24 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Fair shout, pretty much sees it as most of us fans do. He will know more than anyone that we need more creative additions to the squad. Over to you now Mr Lansdown..

My criticism of Nige there, and this come from someone that thinks he's done a good job here, is that he's just blamed the players. He's blamed the defender for the goal, and blamed Wells for his miss. It's not easy to come off the bench and take your one chance. And why did we not create any chances prior to the Wells miss.

So Nige not doing the diplomatic leadership move of taking responsibility for the performance of the team, which may imply he knows that SL is waiting for him to trip up, or maybe not.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Not seen a city them that bad in a long time, we had no ideas, it truly was men against boys, we lost the midfield battle almost from the first whistle forcing us to play down the wings the whole match when attacking just as Birmingham wanted us to, 

It's the lack of having any idea how to do anything different I found most disappointing there was no plan B, the subs didn't make much sense to me, 

A poor day all around

THIS is where we need to spend what cash we have.

We had two defensive midfielders - James and Williams. We have Knight, who, in the two games I've watched him, offers less of a threat to the opposition goal than I do from Row 34.

We've just lost a highly creative midfielder who, although he wasn't the most physical, could spot a defence-splitting pass.

We need someone with that creativity, vision and to just break-up play going straight down the centre towards us. 

Hearing Pearson's interview on RB on the way back from that, didn't exactly inspire me that we're getting anyone. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

This beginning to look like an LJ team. Players thinking that they are earning their wage by being safe and playing it sideways. 

The more I watch Sam Bell the more he looks like an under 14 trying to play men’s football. Lightweight, getting knocked off the ball and can’t kick the ball hard enough to deliver a cross.

Think we’re in for a frustrating season again.

Totally agree regarding Bell . Looked like a child playing against men , not a 21 year old ! Vyner’s passing today was an embarrassment. Williams’ passing was not much better and Pring just can’t or won’t get up and back ! Cornick couldn’t cross his fingers today but let’s face it , a winger he ain’t ! Haven’t felt so pissed off and deflated in a long time ?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Typical bristol city, won one, drawn one, lost one against mid table opponents, we all knew scott was going, where is the plan to replace him. As soon as conway got injured clearly there was a huge problem… did any one really expect any better?

We’ve been parading Scott in the club shop window with a bloody great “ For sale” sign round his neck for almost 12 months . It beggars belief that we seem to have had no plan to strengthen the squad with any investment worth the name . 

• Like 5

Was worried as soon as I saw the front 3 with Wells dropped, it reminded me of Swansea away last season and unfortunately played out the same score. Although I was quite pleased with performance to begin with until that Birmingham no 6 went down injured and we lost momentum. Then really disappointed with that 2nd half and no shots on target throughout. Poor performance but not panicking just yet.

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We had two defensive midfielders - James and Williams. We have Knight, who, in the two games I've watched him, offers less of a threat to the opposition goal than I do from Row 34.

We've just lost a highly creative midfielder who, although he wasn't the most physical, could spot a defence-splitting pass.

We need someone with that creativity, vision and to just break-up play  

Agree with this. Naismith starting in midfield will help a bit. If we had the luxury to do so then I would even experiment with Vyner in midfield. The guy is good at passing the ball forwards compared to the crab-like Williams and Knight who just seem to just shuffle the ball left and right a bit and calling it a days work

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We need someone with that creativity, vision and to just break-up play going straight down the centre towards us. 

Hearing Pearson's interview on RB on the way back from that, didn't exactly inspire me that we're getting anyone. 

Midfield and forward line for me. If we can't do both then improve the midfield with more creativity and the forward line will also benefit. Birmingham appeared to have several players that could go past people in central midfield and just left me thinking who can do that for us? No real purpose to our play, slow, predictable hit and hope. No incisive quality on show.

As for Pearson talking about big moments for us, I can recall a pass to Bell that was offside in the first half and the Wells miss. That was it.

• Thanks 1