IGNORED

Birmingham City at home match thread

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think our work rate is top 2.

Our defence is top 10.

Our attacking play is bottom half.

All in all... mid table.

I was going to go off on a long ramble… but this is exactly what I would have attempted to say.

The only thing I'd add re: work rate is that a number of our players are described as "doing the things you don't notice".

I'd really love a couple of noticeable players.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Immediate thoughts.

That was a very underwhelming, poor and frustrating Bristol City performance, both collectively and individually we were second-best throughout the entire game.

Our opponents are an ordinary championship team, but they were running the game and in control, not due so much to their own endeavours but largely thanks to our wholly inept performance.

We consistently failed to look after the ball, our passing and distribution was embarrassing (our pass completion data will be telling) and our intensity, press, energy and drive practically nonexistent!

There were two recurring themes when we had the ball. Firstly, we either passed it square or backwards in our own half or around the half way line in a very pedestrian manner which meant creating absolutely nothing and secondly, we resorted to launching a very hopeful, long ball forward, which in the majority of cases was either inaccurate or quickly and easily snuffed out by Birmingham. In fact their second goal resulted from exactly that scenario, I think it was Naismith trying to play a long ball forward which was easily intercepted and resulted in Brum breaking and adding a second goal.

It was actually painful to watch at times and I am very disappointed by that performance. I don’t mind the City losing, but I do mind when we lose without performing. We didn’t have a single attempt on goal, nor did we ever look particularly dangerous, creative or in the ascendency.

Without wishing to be dramatic it was one of the poorest performances I can recall under Pearson’s stewardship.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Blowing teams away? Another stupid comment. How about a shot or two on target?No one expects us to blow teams away. Feeling like you got value for your money might be a start.

I’m not saying it wasn’t poor. It was. But wells misses a huge sitter to make it 1-1. Then suddenly we’ve got a point with ten men against a poor side. I don’t care too much about shots on target cause all of theirs outside of a brilliant individual goal and a good break away all of theirs were take efforts straight at Max basically. 

Too many off it today with loads of inexcusable passes and loose touches that were totally embarrassing. 

As I said, I really do think Pearson is under pressure already. Not favoured by the ownership already, he’s been backed in the market (in SL’s eyes) cheap to get rid of, vast majority of fans see home games which have both been under par which doesn’t help his cause at all. Huge few weeks ahead. 

I am a great fan of NP but him and the ‘staff’ got to look at this, allied to the PNE game that in two home games we have posed zero threat. 
The good result at Millwall wiped out. 
The RHS posed no threat at all, and Tanner while good defensively offers very little going forward.

second half was better but sending off ended it. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I mean two performances at home, both teams had the better of us with Brum stopping us from getting a single shot on target. Panicking may a bit too much but any fan who has watched the home performances would have fair reason to be concerned as we're just not able to attack teams who sit deeper. 
Brum nailed it with the tactics today, they spread out so they could create space, they had players deep to prevent our only attacking method, counter-attacking. They pushed their players up in numbers on our defensive line too, which in turn  allowed them to counter us with the main difference being that they had players going past our players, running at our defenders and beating them which created problems.

Essentially today we were outplayed at our own game and none of our attacking players looked like a threat, Mehmeti didn't try to beat any players, Bell looked completely isolated, we kept playing long balls and diagonal crosses into the box that never looked a threat, essentially we looked outclassed in every part of the game. 

So, panicking, no, concerned that today's game that we were totally outclassed at our own stadium and looked toothless, highlighted by not a single shot on goal.... very much yes.

We need an attacker which is blatantly missing. Too much to ask of Bell who gives his all though. Let's see how things pan out now Nige has a few shillings he may be able to spend.

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I honestly thought that Pearson and the recruitment team would have a plan A, B, C and D in the event that Scott was sold and a player would be in the door a couple days later.

Lack of Goals and creativity was a worry anyway and without Scott, we are very predictable and easy to play against - especially at home. 

Big couple of weeks ahead, but I’m not confident that Pearson will be well backed by the club. 

So did I- maybe they still do and trying to get plan b transfers over the line, I guess the concern for me is aside from Thomason their hasn’t been too much speculation on potential targets, I also agree with you that I don’t think much will be made available for him.

• Like 1

I don’t believe SL has it in for Pearson, he’s had ample opportunity to get rid of him before. He also had very good reason not to appoint him permanently in the first place. I believe, with injuries taken into account, he’ll be given time to get to at least a natural conclusion and hopefully some sort of backing to enable a creative signing in the next week. 

We are not leaking for fun. We look better at the back than we have done for many seasons first goal aside. Clearly more is needed from an attacking point of view and, of course, the club need to stare the fact in the face that we’ve lost an outstanding creative footballer. Scott was often the outlet that prevented such blunt performances. There is no like for like replacement but the clear hole he has left needs to be dealt with immediately. 

Besides that, whilst games are as finely balanced as the first three have been we can begin turning them in our favour as the season goes on. If we haven’t began to do so by Christmas or more games are going against us than is reasonable we will have to look at management, but I think it would be such a shame to cut this project short before we really know how its going to turn out. A new manager won’t simply be a case of picking up on Pearson’s foundations and kicking on, it doesn’t work like that, not least with this club’s record of appointments. 

In the meantime, this level of reactionary negativity feels a little pointless.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

Cornicks "best performance in a City shirt" and he was hauled off at half time ?

It was a bad performance. The guy looks absolutely shot of confidence. He shouldn't be out on the right wing, I blame Pearson for that 

It's moronic playing him there. No idea what Pearson is doing tbh.

• Like 1

Keinan Davis at Villa the profile of striker I’d love. Bit raw in style, but is unplayable on his day, big unit but pacey and would spear head pretty well in our system. Did ok at Watford last year but just one of those ive always felt is capable of scoring a lot of goals given the service for the right team.

Downside - likely to be on decent wages and other sides would be keen.

I do actually like the no loan policy but a player like this would benefit us a lot IMO.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Immediate thoughts.

That was a very underwhelming, poor and frustrating Bristol City performance, both collectively and individually we were second-best throughout the entire game.

Our opponents are an ordinary championship team, but they were running the game and in control, not due so much to their own endeavours but largely thanks to our wholly inept performance.

We consistently failed to look after the ball, our passing and distribution was embarrassing (our pass completion data will be telling) and our intensity, press, energy and drive practically nonexistent!

There were two recurring themes when we had the ball. Firstly, we either passed it square or backwards in our own half or around the half way line in a very pedestrian manner which meant creating absolutely nothing and secondly, we resorted to launching a very hopeful, long ball forward, which in the majority of cases was either inaccurate or quickly and easily snuffed out by Birmingham. In fact their second goal resulted from exactly that scenario, I think it was Naismith trying to play a long ball forward which was easily intercepted and resulted in Brum breaking and adding a second goal.

It was actually painful to watch at times and I am very disappointed by that performance. I don’t mind the City losing, but I do mind when we lose without performing. We didn’t have a single attempt on goal, nor did we ever look particularly dangerous, creative or in the ascendency.

Without wishing to be dramatic it was one of the poorest performances I can recall under Pearson’s stewardship.

*Our opponents used to be an ordinary championship team. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, IThinkThatOnesRooney said:

3 games in its still fixable with a goalscorer. Fingers crossed for that but we won't be the only club looking. 

How is this goalscorer going to score when we create nothing some games, precious little in others????

We need a better midfield - at least one, if not two, mobile players who can receive and pass the ball without everyone holding their breath in trepidation. Then the goalscoring will take care of itself. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
3 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Probably the worst performance I've seen under Pearson, we offered nothing at all. The players looked diviod of confidence. Or any belief on what the plan was. Worrying times 

Genuine question to anyone - are we evolving ? Are we any better now then we were 12 months ago? If anything it looks like we have gone backwards. I don’t think we had a shot on target today 

Have certain players improved? 

I swear all we see are clubs like Birmingham, who were an absolute car crash of a club - go through their transition and then go gliding past us 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Immediate thoughts.

Condensed Version 

Shite

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Not denying today sounded bad - but if we're currently playing like a mid-table team, is that not about what you'd expect after you take one of the league's best midfielders and our best striker out of this squad?

It’s too early to tell if we are playing like a mid table team. I’d say we finished last season as a mid table team - yet we look worse now then we did then 

• Like 1