IGNORED

Birmingham City at home match thread

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

People say this is the toughest championship ever. Then seem surprised when we don’t blow teams away every minute of the game. These beat Leeds last week, and tbh on another day feasibly we drew with them 1-1 with ten men. Shit happens. 

What makes it worse is that it seems to always happen in the home games. I think ultimately that’s what will push SL over the edge if it doesn’t change soon. 

Yeah I agree that SL will axe NP if we don't push playoffs this season, and I can safely assume that you and I agree that Nige has ticked so many difficult boxes for SL such as balancing the books, blooding academy players and changing the culture.

But... we've got some stuff wrong this season so far. 

The pre-season fixtures seemed too easy and didn't enable us to get to speed/fine tune.

And our attacking play is really worrying. If we aim to score 80 goals this season, only 3 or 4 will be from long throws. Where are the rest coming from? I appreciate Conway is injured, but it would be a little harsh to lump expectation on him to play as a lone striker. Something isn't right up top.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Panicking already?

Outmuscled and outplayed. The Brum defenders won't get many easier afternoons this season. Same long ball nonsense as Preston game. Our build up play was ponderous. As another poster said we are shopping in B&M and it shows.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We’ve got to find a replacement as best we can for Scott. Without him we are creating very little. Otherwise we will be in that 14th-18th bracket….again. The starting line up handed the game to Brum imo. Nige got that wrong.

Spot on. Why he didn’t start Sykes, only he knows.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

Your halfway there with your username -

Swap red for wet - job done 

I think irony may be wasted on OTB! Obviously- or so I thought- this is a pro- Pearson comment. And, frankly, if I was a part time supporter, I wouldn’t have stuck it since my first game at the gate in December 1972. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

People say this is the toughest championship ever. Then seem surprised when we don’t blow teams away every minute of the game. These beat Leeds last week, and tbh on another day feasibly we drew with them 1-1 with ten men. Shit happens. 

What makes it worse is that it seems to always happen in the home games. I think ultimately that’s what will push SL over the edge if it doesn’t change soon. 

Blowing teams away? Another stupid comment. How about a shot or two on target?No one expects us to blow teams away. Feeling like you got value for your money might be a start.

• Like 2

Zero creativity from midfield until Naismith come on who I thought was brilliant made that Wells chance all from his good work, very lightweight up front and no real idea how to break teams down. A creative midfielder is an absolute must to bring in and a physical striker too but I know that’s never happening.

Vyner was well off it today and also Sam Bell who apart from the cross to Wells everything he did looked so clumsy and out of control. Hopefully just an off day for him.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Panicking already?

I mean two performances at home, both teams had the better of us with Brum stopping us from getting a single shot on target. Panicking may a bit too much but any fan who has watched the home performances would have fair reason to be concerned as we're just not able to attack teams who sit deeper. 
Brum nailed it with the tactics today, they spread out so they could create space, they had players deep to prevent our only attacking method, counter-attacking. They pushed their players up in numbers on our defensive line too, which in turn  allowed them to counter us with the main difference being that they had players going past our players, running at our defenders and beating them which created problems.

Essentially today we were outplayed at our own game and none of our attacking players looked like a threat, Mehmeti didn't try to beat any players, Bell looked completely isolated, we kept playing long balls and diagonal crosses into the box that never looked a threat, essentially we looked outclassed in every part of the game. 

So, panicking, no, concerned that today's game that we were totally outclassed at our own stadium and looked toothless, highlighted by not a single shot on goal.... very much yes.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I thought that was his best performance in a City shirt and was surprised he was taken off. Sykes did nothing. 

Cornicks "best performance in a City shirt" and he was hauled off at half time ?

It was a bad performance. The guy looks absolutely shot of confidence. He shouldn't be out on the right wing, I blame Pearson for that 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
8 minutes ago, Jose said:

Blowing teams away? Another stupid comment. How about a shot or two on target?No one expects us to blow teams away. Feeling like you got value for your money might be a start.

Exactly. It’s out ninth consecutive season at this level, everyone at the football club knows how tough this division is - nobody is expecting us to blow teams away but a shot on target at home and to actually show some attacking threat would be a start.. Birmingham are a decent outfit at this level, let’s not pretend they are world beaters.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't need explaining, Brum were singing before the match, did the players do anything for that? No.

If we were 5-0 down I could understand us being so quiet, but we were in the game until it was 2-0 and our fans have been quiet... if the players aren't playing hard enough you cheer them on, you don't moan and groan and sit silent. Plenty of teams play poorly and when their fans get behind them and cheer them on go on to perform better. The negative atmosphere creates a negative and defeatist attitude and that's coming from someone who focuses on negatives over positives. Honestly, our fans were as bad as the team today.

Edit: with the exception of section 82 who tried to do something positive.

They are “singing” their dirge about some road, but that was about all I heard.

Just now, Jose said:

That’s the pisser for me. Watching keepers have their easiest game of the season was something I had hoped was a thing of the past. Steve can talk about nest eggs as long as he’s got a hole in his arse but some of the Scott money has to be made available if he’s serious about us being better than lower mid table. A change of manager on its own won’t do it that’s for sure.

• Like 3

I honestly thought that Pearson and the recruitment team would have a plan A, B, C and D in the event that Scott was sold and a player would be in the door a couple days later.

Lack of Goals and creativity was a worry anyway and without Scott, we are very predictable and easy to play against - especially at home. 

Big couple of weeks ahead, but I’m not confident that Pearson will be well backed by the club. 

• Like 1
Just now, Bris Red said:

Exactly. It’s out ninth consecutive season at this level, everyone at the football club knows how tough this division is - nobody is expecting us to blow teams away but a shot on target at home and to actually show some attacking threat. Birmingham are a decent outfit at this level, they certainly aren’t world beaters.

Where are the patterns of play? What have we actually been working on in pre season? Utterly toothless against 3 middle of the road Champ sides.