IGNORED

We can’t compete

Topper 123

Absolutely nothing positive to be taken from that rank rotten showing. From front to back we were rubbish, and the number of times we either handed possession on a plate to the Noses or sprayed a pitiful pass out of play was inexcusable. Abject defending for their second goal.

So many things were wrong today but something that looks to have continued from last season is our hapless inability to make corners or free kicks in promising positions count. Conversely, when our opponents get a set piece it invariably causes us problems.

I’m not suggesting he be sacked but tell me what progress we have made under Pearson? I honestly don’t feel we are any further forward then we were three years ago when Johnson got the heave ho.

A looooooong season in store I fear. :(

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I think people missed my point re goal keeper.  It isn’t sensible, or wise, imo, to have zero competition for the jersey. This is unusual for City over the years and needs rectifying 

I get it but do we have to spend big on that? If there’s a free agent out there that fits the bill then no brainer but also we have Bajic and HWR that we would need to loan out one of them to do that really

17 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Spending vast sums of money guarantees nothing.

What if we fork out £9 million on a proven goal scorer only to find out that he has done his ACL at the training ground and is out for the rest of the season?

Shoving youngsters into the team is a bad idea? Where would the £25 million from Scott be if we had stopped doing that and had paid over the odds to sign someone who probably wants a hefty wage to go with it?

Losing Tommy and Andi Weimann is a big blow to us, but spunking money on Championship players would end up with us failing FFP and having points deducted.

There is the talent in League One and Two so if we were to spend I’d be happier to spend it there.

Just need to find the right type of replacement for Scott and it won’t necessarily have to cost millions.

I don't think 'he might get injured' is a solid reason to not buy a proven goalscorer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I am baffled if you think O’Leary is a problem think he’s more than good enough as a number 1. Potentially need competition but unless Bajic/HWR go out on loan we can cope imo. Striker is a possibility but we need to create chances which for me is the biggest problem. 

O'leary is average at best 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I get it but do we have to spend big on that? If there’s a free agent out there that fits the bill then no brainer but also we have Bajic and HWR that we would need to loan out one of them to do that really

You are absolutely correct.  We just need to get on with it

Edited by Ivorguy

5 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I didn’t release you got points for shots! I’m being pedantic of course, but who says we won’t have 15 next game? By all means have a paddy if this is still the case after 10 games, but let’s not wet the bed just yet and even before the transfer window closes.

I mean ...you may not get points for shots, but you do get points for goals (bar a 0-0 and assuming your defence is ok)...and where do goals come from?

But that aside I agree with all of this, and to be clear, I'm not having a paddy, I'm not calling for change even, not after 3 games. Apologies if it comes across like that.

What I am pointing out is that the very early signs are of a poorer attack this season. That can be ok, but for a successful season the defence need to be like the Spartans at Thermopylae, and the fans better be prepared for a lot of 1-0 and 0-0 scorelines. Burnley had different signs this time last season, as did Forest in their ultimately successful 2021/22 season.

Oh, and I'd be pleasantly, but extremely, surprised if we take 15 shots in our next league game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I didn’t release you got points for shots! I’m being pedantic of course, but who says we won’t have 15 next game? By all means have a paddy if this is still the case after 10 games, but let’s not wet the bed just yet and even before the transfer window closes.

If we see no incoming by the time the window shuts the mood here will be rather toxic, and rightly so.

And as for Nigel's feelings on the matter we should be duly concerned.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've banged the drum about FFP for years but we're surely really fine now.

Need two or three decent signings mimimum. One CB, bit of creativity or technical strength in midfield and either a striker to push Wells or a GK to push O'Leary.

Yes, this is pretty much my thinking right now.

We've sold £35m worth of players this year and removed almost all of our high earners. We're not a small clubs at this level in financial terms - our attendances and revenues are good.

Hence, it's weird that we seem to be operating with far less room to manoeuvre than clubs like Birmingham and Cardiff.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

Of course not but we are the home side and a little entertainment is expected they had 6 of their 16 shots on target we had 0 , no don’t be such a stupid *** 

Wow, why are you abusing me? It really shows a complete lack of intelligence. Now talk to me like a grown man and we can have a conversation. It’s a game of football ?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Been saying it years. The club from SL down say we want to be top 6 every year. 35m in the last two windows. Probably dropped 50-75k off the wage bill even after signings. I think people want to be angry about it they have every right to be. It is underwhelming year after year.

Year after year get opposing teams fans saying why would this player go To city to finish 15th. They have a point. There is no hope year after year. Think we all got the tough covid years and realised the finances were awful. Now the excuses don’t seem to add up. 

It does feel like we're great at talking the talk every season, but pretty poor at walking the walk. I can't imagine there are many clubs in the league that have been so loud in talking about their top 6 and Premier League ambitions over the last decade, whilst also looking so far away from achieving them.

I also agree that other teams see us as a little bit of a joke for this reason - a club who are destined to finish 15th no matter who we sign and what we claim in the media. Why? Because Bristol City always seem to fail. Unfortunately, this 'loser' identity is a legacy of the Lansdowns.

It feels like an element of the club's culture that may be hard to change without a change in ownership. Birmingham look a good example of how rejuvenated a club can be following a new owner taking over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A week is a very long time in football.

I watched the Millwall game and thought we have nothing to worry about and look a solid Championship side making progress.

We are a solid championship side, the problem is we are supposed to be pushing for the playoffs - that is what we are being told….on the basis of what’s happened so far this season that is smile off.

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A week is a very long time in football.

I watched the Millwall game and thought we have nothing to worry about and look a solid Championship side making progress.

We looked competent against two very poor teams. Against good sides we have been found badly wanting.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think we’re a team with quite a few young players - especially in forward positions.  Young players are inconsistent by their nature. Today was inconsistent. We shouldn’t think we’re going to be world beaters every week. 

We have young players by choice. Does that mean the strategy is wrong?

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I mean ...you may not get points for shots, but you do get points for goals (bar a 0-0 and assuming your defence is ok)...and where do goals come from?

But that aside I agree with all of this, and to be clear, I'm not having a paddy, I'm not calling for change even, not after 3 games. Apologies if it comes across like that.

What I am pointing out is that the very early signs are of a poorer attack this season. That can be ok, but for a successful season the defence need to be like the Spartans at Thermopylae, and the fans better be prepared for a lot of 1-0 and 0-0 scorelines. Burnley had different signs this time last season, as did Forest in their ultimately successful 2021/22 season.

Oh, and I'd be pleasantly, but extremely, surprised if we take 15 shots in our next league game.

More than 1 or 2 on target per game would be a significant step forward. You can’t expect a conversion rate of 100%. Our xG stats would surely bear out the problem right now, which appears to be better than League 1 teams, but will struggle to score in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

OTIB in a nutshell…

One defeat and suddenly we’re awful. 

I mean I get what you're saying but after our first game the performance was called awful, the Millwall performance was better but it was said we needed to improve and today's performance was awful. I mean I'd like to think we have a good squad but if in the first three games both home performances were pretty awful it would suggest we're not far off of it, I mean don't they say "you're only as good as your last game"?

I'm sure we'll improve over the season, but tactically we need a plan B as the 4-3-3 doesn't work when you have 0 creativity in the middle, your wingers can't cross and you only get chances on the counter then you're going to need a change in tactics if you want to create more.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Squad dangerously thin. Currently as it stands outfield not fresh academy players we have:

Tanner, Vyner, Pring, Roberts

Naismith, James, Williams, King, Knight

Sykes, Cornick, Bell, Mehmeti

Wells

Even in goal we have O'Leary and then two fairly untried players not that it is a major area of concern.

Either Naismith drops into replace Dickie, or Pring, which at least gives Roberts the starting role.

So the midfield 3 stays the same (and I have my concerns about Williams).

Options for wide forwards. And not much to choose from for the lone striker, but you argue we don't have enough any lone strikers at the club even with a fully fit squad ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

We have young players by choice. Does that mean the strategy is wrong?

No. I think it means we’ve been hamstrung into it - which isn’t necessarily a bad thing long term, so long as the next person to get unlimited funds isn’t the return of the prodigal son. 

35 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Rookie Manager = "Have a load of cash and buy yourself some toys"

Experienced Manager = "Thanks for getting us back on track, but there's no money in the pot"

Rinse and repeat. 

It boils my ****ing p*ss.

Nige has spent the best part of 5 million this summer tho... thats not small change and far more than a number of teams in the division?

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Either Naismith drops into replace Dickie, or Pring, which at least gives Roberts the starting role.

So the midfield 3 stays the same (and I have my concerns about Williams).

Options for wide forwards. And not much to choose from for the lone striker, but you argue we don't have enough any lone strikers at the club even with a fully fit squad ?‍♂️

It's just too thin. It is a long season, injuries will arise but you need depth where possible, competition plus that midfielder with a touch of class.

We were spoilt with Scott but someone for sure.

Conway or Weimann through the middle when in form, or even Wells in form and pushing each other it isn't too bad.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

More than 1 or 2 on target per game would be a significant step forward. You can’t expect a conversion rate of 100%. Our xG stats would surely bear out the problem right now, which appears to be better than League 1 teams, but will struggle to score in the Championship.

Yeh I posted the other day that xG overall is down from about 1.3 per game to 0.8. xG per shot is down from about 0.12 to 0.9. Big reductions, but @Ghost Rider is correct that after only 3 games it's concerning, but it's not conclusive.

As for what we should aim for. Well historically the majority of top 6 teams end the season with roughly 12-15 shots per game, 4-5 of which are on target, and xG for is normally around 1.35-1.5, with top teams hitting 1.6 xG per game.

So, if after 15 games we're back up to those numbers, well then fire up the bus and clean out the trophy cabinet!

Edited by ExiledAjax