IGNORED

We can’t compete

Topper 123

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

To be fair - we were awful against Preston to. Millwall was a good 3 points but we hardly tore them apart 

1 shot on target in the last two games is it?

We’ve looked reasonably solid so far, today aside. Maybe not chance creating, but at the back. It’ll come. But I see no need for an over reaction just yet.

PS love you Andy. 

• Thanks 1

It seems the longer we stay in this league the smaller club we become and unable to compete. Is it we just have to admit we will never reach the Prem and be happy with mid table every season and playing 'unable to compete football' or be near the top of league 1? We have some great youngsters at the club which don't cost the earth but not many sides in sports win anything with youngsters. It's a real conundrum for those in charge and I don't envy them ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What, even if we receive £25m?  Are you saying that the sale of Scott was needed to avoid a massive points deduction?  If we sell big, we should at least be able to buy something.

We can buy something obviously,said on another thread it has to be a big strong bustling forward,I’m sure tins is looking into it 

• Like 1

Been saying it years. The club from SL down say we want to be top 6 every year. 35m in the last two windows. Probably dropped 50-75k off the wage bill even after signings. I think people want to be angry about it they have every right to be. It is underwhelming year after year.

Year after year get opposing teams fans saying why would this player go To city to finish 15th. They have a point. There is no hope year after year. Think we all got the tough covid years and realised the finances were awful. Now the excuses don’t seem to add up. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Undermines your point when you can’t even censor your own post correctly.

We played ok with out looking like we were ever going to create anything same as today, only difference was we took our chance when a bit of luck came along, we have not played very well in any match yet, the lack of creation is a worry

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

We’ve looked reasonably solid so far, today aside. Maybe not chance creating, but at the back. It’ll come. But I see no need for an over reaction just yet.

PS love you Andy. 

At best though being consistently solid will only end up in drawn matches. And a season of draws won’t keep you up in this league.

We must add creativity to our game. I appreciate your optimism, but I’m struggling to believe we will become a side that creates better chances without quality additions in midfield and attack…

• Like 1

Just now, winsaw said:

We played ok with out looking like we were ever going to create anything same as today, only difference was we took our chance when a bit of luck came along, we have not played very well in any match yet, the lack of creation is a worry

We have though.  We played very well last week! 

1 minute ago, johnbytheriver said:

No disrespect but we were awful today.Not suggesting Nigel out! But for two home games now he has picked the wrong starting eleven.

Do you know, I didn’t see that we were awful. I think we went toe to toe with a much improved championship side. To quote my favourite manager, it was fine margins until the sending off. 

Im not going to get overly upset about today. They’re a good side. I think people are underestimating the progress they’ve made. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lenred said:

We have though.  We played very well last week! 

No we had a lot of the ball and did control the game but we did nothing with it, that's the issue without someone to create in midfield all the possession in the world will not win us the games we should

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you know, I didn’t see that we were awful. I think we went toe to toe with a much improved championship side. To quote my favourite manager, it was fine margins until the sending off. 

Im not going to get overly upset about today. They’re a good side. I think people are underestimating the progress they’ve made. 

Agree with this. I thought they looked very good .

I think my frustrations are more the fact that they have actually progressed - and I see another club who were in the doldrums, get their act together - and build a team with the potential to push top 6.

Yet we look no better then we did 12 months ago  

• Like 5

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I had the unfortunate experience of watching the Birmingham feed,tbf they summed it up perfectly by saying the misplaced passes by us were shocking and didn’t carry any threat apart from Wells missing a sitter

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Been saying it years. The club from SL down say we want to be top 6 every year. 35m in the last two windows. Probably dropped 50-75k off the wage bill even after signings. I think people want to be angry about it they have every right to be. It is underwhelming year after year.

Year after year get opposing teams fans saying why would this player go To city to finish 15th. They have a point. There is no hope year after year. Think we all got the tough covid years and realised the finances were awful. Now the excuses don’t seem to add up. 

I keep saying since 2017/18 up till now we’ve spent est £70 million and sold est £125 million 

so come on let’s have a go at it and buy some quality, there must be ways around ffp how do these other teams do it  bonuses, signing on fees , pay to play appearance money , lansdowns can’t be stupid even loan deals that are done off piste

24 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I was watching on my tv in Canada, got so bored before half time and went and cooked myself a fry up, of course Brum scored to rub it in that I broke my fried egg yolks ffs, second half wasn't much better

You poor bugger,was watching it at home in Bristol and I couldn’t even have a fag because the rain was pissing down 

47 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

For all those happy clappers out there take heed , for the top brass to come out with a statement like that “ we cannot compete “ shows that they expect defeat , well us city fans have had years of that and are fed up to the back teeth with being served up SHIT week in week out , we sell the Crown Jewels and then  invest in Lidl , if you keep buying league 1 or 2 players we become a league 1 or 2 team we need quality weather from abroad or here , one minute owners say we don’t have to sell , then cop £25 million but can’t invest ? Does that make sense , let’s please get some owners in that have the FOOTBALL CLUB in the forefront of their agenda and not just buying investments in properties ie training grounds and pushing 17 year old under developed youngsters onto the pitch 

Overpaying on players when we got big transfer fees is exactly why we went into problem, I’d rather us spend it wisely on players that will improve our team. We were poor today and performances need to be better but losing your mind after the first loss of the season isn't healthy. Keep the faith and hopefully we will get back to it on Friday

• Like 2

Spending vast sums of money guarantees nothing.

What if we fork out £9 million on a proven goal scorer only to find out that he has done his ACL at the training ground and is out for the rest of the season?

Shoving youngsters into the team is a bad idea? Where would the £25 million from Scott be if we had stopped doing that and had paid over the odds to sign someone who probably wants a hefty wage to go with it?

Losing Tommy and Andi Weimann is a big blow to us, but spunking money on Championship players would end up with us failing FFP and having points deducted.

There is the talent in League One and Two so if we were to spend I’d be happier to spend it there.

Just need to find the right type of replacement for Scott and it won’t necessarily have to cost millions.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

All I can say to a few of you dopey ***** on here , how the **** are you happy with that shit 

Thanks @Magger1 for this post, for a second I thought we’d only lost one game. 

Just take a peek at Huddersfield Town’s magical 2016-2017 season. They started off with 1 win, 1 draw, and 4 losses in their first 6 matches. But guess what? They ended up getting promoted to the Premier League via the playoffs! So, don’t sweat the small stuff for now  – we’re just keeping things exciting for the grand finale! ?⚽

ps, here were Burnley’s first few results last year. Chill.

IMG_7026.thumb.png.f6504528f67d47cbde6248b97bab2a83.png

• Like 2

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

Overpaying on players when we got big transfer fees is exactly why we went into problem, I’d rather us spend it wisely on players that will improve our team. We were poor today and performances need to be better but losing your mind after the first loss of the season isn't healthy. Keep the faith and hopefully we will get back to it on Friday

There’s nothing out there to improve my club , just 14 guys taking money for false pretence 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One loss let's not go nuts.

However the squad is too thin, the midfield we lack a bit of craft and now the Dickie red- who goes centre back with Vyner now?

Why Cornick to start too? Was Wells carrying a knock or something.

Surely, judging by comments of people at the game, it is not just one defeat but the lack of quality in the team assembled over three matches.

Three problems remain; two with us all summer, ie a goalkeeper and a goal scoring big centre forward.  The third could have been foreseen, the sale of Scott - need for a creative midfielder.  Am sure Nige is well aware of all this, but faces no alternative to O’Leary, and no money for the other two positions.  

I would have thought SL would want to leave a legacy on the pitch before he sells.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Thanks @Magger1 for this post, for a second I thought we’d only lost one game. 

Just take a peek at Huddersfield Town’s magical 2016-2017 season. They started off with 1 win, 1 draw, and 4 losses in their first 6 matches. But guess what? They ended up getting promoted to the Premier League via the playoffs! So, don’t sweat the small stuff for now  – we’re just keeping things exciting for the grand finale! ?⚽

ps, here were Burnley’s first few results last year. Chill.

IMG_7026.thumb.png.f6504528f67d47cbde6248b97bab2a83.png

As long as your happy with that as entertainment good on you 

• Haha 1