IGNORED

We can’t compete

Topper 123

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

OTIB in a nutshell…

One defeat and suddenly we’re awful. 

But this, in a sense, is the problem. I don’t think anyone on here at present is really commenting on one match, or even the last few. It’s been pretty poor, on the whole, for the last 7/8 years. I’m not blaming anyone, or suggesting that continued survival in a v competitive Championship isn’t a real achievement for a club like City, because it is, but like most on here I’m genuinely - and often totally- emotionally committed, which means that in reality, for the last few years, I’m statistically more likely to be depressed than elated by Saturday evening. Unsurprisingly, this becomes tiring as the months turn to years. When someone tonight says ‘it was shit today’, they are as likely still reacting to to the traumatic aftermath of the record run of defeats under LJ and the Holden debacle etc. It isn’t really NP’s fault that he’s delivered 3 years underfunded averageness when he’s come in after 5 years of well funded mediocrity. And every boss since Cotts has had his best players repeatedly sold from under him. If I were SL, I’d be looking to try and break the psychological cycle with one-just one- eye catching, uplifting signing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 7

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

Well that's two different opinions! 

Summed up by his refusal to book their player shooting after an obvious offside.

All very well, but we’re down to 10, due to a technical offence.

I thought he was crap , but they deservedly won anyway.

Oh, and’s how was Ruddy not booked?

Spent the best part of three minutes lecturing the ref.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

We were poor today, worse than what we we were against Preston. 

I think we as a fanbase need to stop being so reactionary, knee jerk and negative. I could feel it around the Ground before, during and after the game. Stark contrast to the away support at Millwall last week. 

However, today highlighted how we really need a Number 9 up front and that there is a real lack of physicality to our team. We lost various battles today, likewise against Preston first game and I even said numerous times last week at Millwall 'Powderpuff' - because that's what we have been playing like. Too nice.

We'll be ok, but it certainly has tempered pre season expectations and a big reality check has hit most of us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

We were poor today, worse than what we we were against Preston. 

I think we as a fanbase need to stop being so reactionary, knee jerk and negative. I could feel it around the Ground before, during and after the game. Stark contrast to the away support at Millwall last week. 

However, today highlighted how we really need a Number 9 up front and that there is a real lack of physicality to our team. We lost various battles today, likewise against Preston first game and I even said numerous times last week at Millwall 'Powderpuff' - because that's what we have been playing like. Too nice.

We'll be ok, but it certainly has tempered pre season expectations and a big reality check has hit most of us.

Our lack of physicality has been an issue for sooooooo long now and we just never address it with our recruitment and I can’t get my head around it. 

• Like 2

I’m struggling to find words, other than will things ever ever change, this is NP’s team so he holds 100% responsibility, SL has stuck with him when in reality he could of sacked him with justification more than once but imagine the uproar on this forum if he did, please don’t tell me he’s going to lead us on another nine month run without a home win

19 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

Don’t rate Tanner, Cornick or Mehmeti based on what I’ve seen so far, they’ve had plenty of time. 

Seems pretty harsh on Tanner and Mehmeti. Tanner has been a solid, steady, reliable option for us at RB over the last year or so. He's developed nicely since arriving. Mehmeti clearly has incredible technical ability, and is a member of the EFL 21 U21, so clearly a decent pick up. He clearly needs to improve his decision making, but has probably been the best of a bad bunch in terms of our wingers this season.

Cornick has been underwhelming so far, I'll give you that. Simpson also not great, but supposedly incredibly cheap.

Anyone else you're particularly disappointed with, out of interest?

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

Seems pretty harsh on Tanner and Mehmeti. Tanner has been a solid, steady, reliable option for us at RB over the last year or so. He's developed nicely since arriving. Mehmeti clearly has incredible technical ability, and is a member of the EFL 21 U21, so clearly a decent pick up. He clearly needs to improve his decision making, but has probably been the best of a bad bunch in terms of our wingers this season.

Cornick has been underwhelming so far, I'll give you that. Simpson also not great, but supposedly incredibly cheap.

Anyone else you're particularly disappointed with, out of interest?

I did say “based on what I’ve seen so far”, if they improve then great I appreciate Mehmeti especially hasn’t had the run of games he probably needs. Tanner is the perfect example of a L1/L2 full back playing in the Champ, he offers nothing going forward, does a very basic job defensively but I actually think he is one of the reasons we are so poor going forward, literally offers nothing.

Not so much disapointed, we have a stack of players who are very average champ players - James, Williams, Vyner etc…..I think we need a GK, CB, and striker.

one thing I will say is I was very surprised that Wells got a new deal, yes reduced wages but money is tight and I’m suprised NP didn’t want to get a more physical striker to replace him…..he is good with the youth though, isn’t that Jason Euells job?

14 minutes ago, sludge said:

Our lack of physicality has been an issue for sooooooo long now and we just never address it with our recruitment and I can’t get my head around it. 

Couple of factors here. Physicality we may or may not lack.

However to hit the ball high and your forwards aren't exactly huge but to hit it high vs 3 b If centre backs is poor tactically and not only is it inefficient in an attacking sense, it is also risky as said side may hit you on the break when possession turned over.

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Rookie Manager = "Have a load of cash and buy yourself some toys"

Experienced Manager = "Thanks for getting us back on track, but there's no money in the pot"

Rinse and repeat. 

It boils my ****ing p*ss.

Nail on the head. That’s the depressing reality of the situation under SL. Push the boat out under a rookie, get an experienced manager to steady the ship only to sell our best players and not replace them with any proven quality. It beggars belief IMO.

If we have a strict wage structure - fine. But surely that £25m from Scott might allow us to raise that ceiling without being stupid or repeating the mistakes of LJ/Ashton? It seems to me that SL doesn’t want to spend, and we have to spend to replace quality players. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Couple of factors here. Physicality we may or may not lack.

However to hit the ball high and your forwards aren't exactly huge but to hit it high vs 3 b If centre backs is poor tactically and not only is it inefficient in an attacking sense, it is also risky as said side may hit you on the break when possession turned over.

I’m not talking about the long balls/tactics so much, but more that Birmingham were (yet again) able to impose their game onto us and stop us from playing our game.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I think we’re a team with quite a few young players - especially in forward positions.  Young players are inconsistent by their nature. Today was inconsistent. We shouldn’t think we’re going to be world beaters every week. 

Who the hell thinks we are going to be world beaters every week? I long for the day when we look like we are remotely far superior than our opposition 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sludge said:

I’m not talking about the long balls/tactics so much, but more that Birmingham were (yet again) able to impose their game onto us and stop us from playing our game.

The two feed into each other a bit though. We lack a bit of skill or spark in midfield with James-Williams-Knight which can hand some initiative to the opposition.

Then the front 3, I was surprised that and nothing against Cornick but surely Sykes-Wells-one of Bell or Mehmeti would have been a better balance.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The two feed into each other a bit though. We lack a bit of skill or spark in midfield with James-Williams-Knight which can hand some initiative to the opposition.

Then the front 3, I was surprised that and nothing against Cornick but surely Sykes-Wells-one of Bell or Mehmeti would have been a better balance.

Yeh fair point. As someone said on another thread a Dele Adebola type player might be useful though 

• Like 1

Have we not been told for the past two and a bit years that this is the new reality at BCFC? Why the surprise/outrage now? 

Pearson has regularly reiterated on a number of occasions ‘those days are gone’ in regards to splashing the cash on marquee names and bringing in players with big wage demands. 

He has also been quoted as saying that promotion this way ‘might not be possible’, but he has always backed the idea of sustainability. It has consistently appeared that, despite some healthy confrontation, the board and Pearson have seen eye to eye on the overall strategy to this point. 

If something has changed recently, as I have seen many suggesting today, then why? I don’t believe it has. I don’t believe things are as frosty as is being made out. NP himself has talked of challenging as a minimum this season. 

There is a new reality at Bristol City, and if you have listened to anything coming out of the club the last two and a half seasons I fail to see how you would be surprised by that. 

• Like 2

Just now, BUTOR said:

Have we not been told for the past two and a bit years that this is the new reality at BCFC? Why the surprise/outrage now? 

Pearson has regularly reiterated on a number of occasions ‘those days are gone’ in regards to splashing the cash on marquee names and bringing in players with big wage demands. 

He has also been quoted as saying that promotion this way ‘might not be possible’, but he has always backed the idea of sustainability. It has consistently appeared that, despite some healthy confrontation, the board and Pearson have seen eye to eye on the overall strategy to this point. 

If something has changed recently, as I have seen many suggesting today, then why? I don’t believe it has. I don’t believe things are as frosty as is being made out. NP himself has talked of challenging as a minimum this season. 

There is a new reality at Bristol City, and if you have listened to anything coming out of the club the last two and a half seasons I fail to see how you would be surprised by that. 

You clearly don’t understand the difference between “spending some money” and “splashing the cash”. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

I did say “based on what I’ve seen so far”, if they improve then great I appreciate Mehmeti especially hasn’t had the run of games he probably needs. Tanner is the perfect example of a L1/L2 full back playing in the Champ, he offers nothing going forward, does a very basic job defensively but I actually think he is one of the reasons we are so poor going forward, literally offers nothing.

Not so much disapointed, we have a stack of players who are very average champ players - James, Williams, Vyner etc…..I think we need a GK, CB, and striker.

one thing I will say is I was very surprised that Wells got a new deal, yes reduced wages but money is tight and I’m suprised NP didn’t want to get a more physical striker to replace him…..he is good with the youth though, isn’t that Jason Euells job?

I guess we have to bear in mind that Tanner is supposed to be back up for McCrorie, who currently has a mysterious injury.

1 minute ago, ChrisBW said:

You clearly don’t understand the difference between “spending some money” and “splashing the cash”. 

We’ve spent money. I’m not supporting the strategy or promoting its merits but whether we like it or not this is the new reality. We won’t be spending anything like we have in the past regardless of who we sell. It’s sustainability above everything else. And on the whole we have had complete clarity about that so my question is why the outrage now? Mostly fans have been supportive of the noises coming out of the club regarding transfer strategy. Is it the Scott sale that has shifted things? Or is it simply reactionary negativity after a poor performance? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

We’ve spent money. I’m not supporting the strategy or promoting its merits but whether we like it or not this is the new reality. We won’t be spending anything like we have in the past regardless of who we sell. It’s sustainability above everything else. And on the whole we have had complete clarity about that so my question is why the outrage now? Mostly fans have been supportive of the noises coming out of the club regarding transfer strategy. Is it the Scott sale that has shifted things? Or is it simply reactionary negativity after a poor performance? 

All I would say is we don’t need to throw money at it. We need to get in a couple of players at the standard that give us what we lack. Two home games and two sides have found us pretty easy to defend against. That said we do have half a team on the treatment table. Hopefully McCrorie will be an upgrade on Tanner, Weimann gives us something and Atkinson will help in due course too. Conway is a big miss too. So it’s not time to slit your wrists just yet.

In the short term we need Naismith in that midfield, that’s our best hope of finding a decent pass from that department.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ChrisBW said:

I don’t recall saying that they were ‘very poor’ teams, feel free to let me know where I have said that. Otherwise dont waste your time asking me questions if you’re just going to make things up.

If you had the intelligence and ability to read my post... I quoted you and @WessexPest in the same post as you  basically said similar in reply to me albeit that WP said "poor teams".

I don't make stuff up but I certainly make people aware of their stupidity.

Next time, Chris- read my whole post then  engage your brain before your mouth!

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Forgotten how much of a mess this place is after a defeat. Suddenly everything and everyone is wrong.

You'd think we'd all be used to it, but I'm sure it never used to be this mental, even when we were in a much worse state than we are now.

There is a bit to be worried about tbh although some of it maybe easy to rectify.

14 senior outfield players available at this second, untenable and unsustainable well it feels it anyway.

1 minute ago, ChrisBW said:

I’ve got to give you credit, this is one of the most stupid questions I’ve ever been asked. 

When people with the knowledge of football such as Pearson, Tinman et all decide on a player they feel will be beneficial to what they are trying to build, why it it stupid to ask why your experience of football finds such a decision questionable?

4 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

For all those happy clappers out there take heed , for the top brass to come out with a statement like that “ we cannot compete “ shows that they expect defeat , well us city fans have had years of that and are fed up to the back teeth with being served up SHIT week in week out , we sell the Crown Jewels and then  invest in Lidl , if you keep buying league 1 or 2 players we become a league 1 or 2 team we need quality weather from abroad or here , one minute owners say we don’t have to sell , then cop £25 million but can’t invest ? Does that make sense , let’s please get some owners in that have the FOOTBALL CLUB in the forefront of their agenda and not just buying investments in properties ie training grounds and pushing 17 year old under developed youngsters onto the pitch 

Who said 'we can't compete' ?