IGNORED

We can’t compete

Topper 123

3 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

I keep saying since 2017/18 up till now we’ve spent est £70 million and sold est £125 million 

so come on let’s have a go at it and buy some quality, there must be ways around ffp how do these other teams do it  bonuses, signing on fees , pay to play appearance money , lansdowns can’t be stupid even loan deals that are done off piste

Blimey- that Ashton fella must have been good- no wonder Ipswich are doing so well.

8 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Rookie Family Friend = "Have a load of cash and buy yourself some toys"

Experienced Manager = "Thanks for getting us back on track, but there's no money in the pot"

Rinse and repeat. 

It boils my ****ing p*ss.

Just one slight amendment for accuracy. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

here were Burnley’s first few results last year. Chill.

Right...but here are there shot/shot on target/xG figures from those games (league ones only).

We are yet to post more than 2 shots on target in a game, or xG of more than 1.0. There's the difference between us and Burnley of last August.

Screenshot_20230819-184116.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Surely, judging by comments of people at the game, it is not just one defeat but the lack of quality in the team assembled over three matches.

Three problems remain; two with us all summer, ie a goalkeeper and a goal scoring big centre forward.  The third could have been foreseen, the sale of Scott - need for a creative midfielder.  Am sure Nige is well aware of all this, but faces no alternative to O’Leary, and no money for the other two positions.  

I would have thought SL would want to leave a legacy on the pitch before he sells.

I am baffled if you think O’Leary is a problem think he’s more than good enough as a number 1. Potentially need competition but unless Bajic/HWR go out on loan we can cope imo. Striker is a possibility but we need to create chances which for me is the biggest problem. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, winsaw said:

No we had a lot of the ball and did control the game but we did nothing with it, that's the issue without someone to create in midfield all the possession in the world will not win us the games we should

We won and we played well.  You said we haven’t played well. We have.  I agree with midfield though - we still need strengthening.  

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Right...but here are there shot/shot on target/xG figures from those games (league ones only).

We are yet to post more than 2 shots on target in a game, or xG of more than 1.0. There's the difference between us and Burnley of last August.

Screenshot_20230819-184116.png

I didn’t release you got points for shots! I’m being pedantic of course, but who says we won’t have 15 next game? By all means have a paddy if this is still the case after 10 games, but let’s not wet the bed just yet and even before the transfer window closes.

1 minute ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I am baffled if you think O’Leary is a problem think he’s more than good enough as a number 1. Potentially need competition but unless Bajic/HWR go out on loan we can cope imo. Striker is a possibility but we need to create chances which for me is the biggest problem. 

Quite right Charlie -

A creative midfielder should be first on any list.

• Like 1

Just now, Son of Fred said:

Quite right Charlie -

A creative midfielder should be first on any list.

Lad from Ireland I wouldn’t be against, I quite like Knight personally but we need competition and a different option which he could be perfect for. Saw Pritchard from Sunderland was available who does tick a lot of boxes for me

• Like 1

Is it really a spending/FFP thing? Or is it just that we never recruit any muscle/physicality? We maybe fit, but we are so so lightweight against strong teams. Really frustrating. Our record against Birmingham is woeful and it’s always because they are stronger than us. 

Just now, Ivorguy said:

I think people missed my point re goal keeper.  It isn’t sensible, or wise, imo, to have zero competition for the jersey. This is unusual for City over the years and needs rectifying 

Agree, Max’s biggest fan would struggle to suggest he has decent competition for his place. 

55 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

OTIB in a nutshell…

One defeat and suddenly we’re awful. 

C'mon Fordy, the first home defeat of the season always gets massive negative reaction.

In a couple of months we'll be so used to them that there will next to no comment on the matchday thread, apart from 'standard'.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

It seems the longer we stay in this league the smaller club we become and unable to compete. Is it we just have to admit we will never reach the Prem and be happy with mid table every season and playing 'unable to compete football' or be near the top of league 1? We have some great youngsters at the club which don't cost the earth but not many sides in sports win anything with youngsters. It's a real conundrum for those in charge and I don't envy them ?

It’s “stick or twist”. Unfortunately SL went twist on LJ and Ashton, and it left us no better off in a footballing sense and far worse off financially. Once bitten, twice shy? But the reality is that just hoping to stand still in this league is not an option. Improve or face a relegation battle. And improvement requires investment. Bringing in funds from transfer fees is essential but either spaffing them on inflated wages or sitting on them in the bank is not going to bring success.However our squad is clearly short on goalscorers and with the Scott transfer our midfield creativity has gone. Tightening up at the back was needed but that alone won’t save a club if the team can’t score. And currently we are more toothless than your average Irn Bru drinker!

• Like 5