IGNORED

Am I the only one?

The hand of RO'D

2 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Not writing it off but something feels unnervingly stagnant with the club at the moment.

Don’t think that’s related to the manager.

I’m still not fully convinced by the football we’ve been playing but he’s earned the full season to make some progress in terms of the league table.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Jesus Wept

Some really don’t appreciate what we’ve got

The impatient and entitled

It's what happens in a world where the understanding of deferred gratification is waiting 3.6 seconds for the next episode to load on Netflix.

3 games in.......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Jesus Wept

Looking from the outside in, calling a Bristol city fan impatient and entitled seems hilarious to me. This club hasn’t delivered much apart from mediocrely mid-table shenanigans for years and only has itself to blame. I’m willing to bet some posters see the fans expectations as part of the problem :laugh: 

• Like 3

Excited with the prospect of Nige potentially leaving after this season?

Controversial post I know. Now, don’t get me wrong, the job he has done to this point has been great. He has trimmed the wage bill and has had limited funds at his disposal since he’s arrived which could be detrimental to how his success will be perceived in years to come. Look at when Leicester won the premier league, a lot of credit came Niges way from the players who were involved who said if it wasn’t for Nige sorting issues behind the scenes they wouldn’t have had that success. Are we at a similar crossroads?

The football since he’s taken over hasn’t been great. We had terrible form at home for a long time, struggled to take the game to the opposition and have treaded water in mid table for his reign. Has Nige sorted the club out off the pitch but has subsequently ran his course with the club? Is SL ready to take the plunge in another manager with fresh ideas who will bring, in my opinion, a much needed footballing identity to the club? Perhaps why we’re seeing the purse strings tightened after the sale of Scott & Semenyo?

Entitely my opinion but I feel we need a new coach, not a manager, with a clear footballing identity and style of play to take us to the next level.

Yes completely agree, I would like to see us with a coach with a clear footballing philosophy, someone proven at this level. LJ, Holden weren’t championship level managers and prior to that we had more old school type managers, with exception of SOD who clearly had lost the magic touch he has had.

I wonder whether Pearson is too reliant on his coaches, I would love to see a Lowe, Schumacher or Robins here next. Very unlikely I know.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Jesus Wept

A decent manager who has guided us through a transition, absolutely no sign that he has the coaching ability to take us into the playoffs though, the magic of Leicester and Hull Pearson feel a lifetime away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I don't see anything in OPs post that's writing the season off after 3 games. 

And no, @The hand of RO'D you wouldn't be the only one excited to see what another manager could do with a Club free of FFP concerns and with a stable squad. 

With a well managed handover and a considered selection period, it could make next season very exciting.

Thanks! I have a feeling most people read the first paragraph and treated my post as calling for a change after 3 games….which I can assure it wasn’t!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Isn't a problem that we lack a bit of craft in midfield?

I feel like we've been saying this for years. Thats not a dig at you, it's just quite a depressing realisation. 

Some things are worth investing in quality, and a midfield "heartbeat" for the team is worth loosening the purse strings for I'd say 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bernard Lerring said:

I feel like we've been saying this for years. Thats not a dig at you, it's just quite a depressing realisation. 

Some things are worth investing in quality, and a midfield "heartbeat" for the team is worth loosening the purse strings for I'd say 

Naismith and Scott as part of a 3 would have provided said craft IMO.

We now have a huge hole and yes one classy or creative player into there- hut Gardner-Hickman may well, lots of indicators that he is technically strong got one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Looking from the outside in, calling a Bristol city fan impatient and entitled seems hilarious to me. This club hasn’t delivered much apart from mediocrely mid-table shenanigans for years and only has itself to blame. I’m willing to bet some posters see the fans expectations as part of the problem :laugh:

1000% (maths was never my strong suit).

We waited 65 years to get back to the top flight, then immediately shot ourselves in the foot. 

It could soon be another 50 years since we last played a top flight game.

Since then, all manner of tinpot nobodies have sailed past us, thanks largely to the incompetence of the suits who've been running us. Fair play to them, btw - the tinpot nobodies, not the suits. 

So to say us supporters are impatient and imply this is unjustified is preposterous. 

Nor are we entitled. We understand full well you need to earn success. We've never expected it just because.....

We understand the reason for our mediocrity can primarily be laid at the door of those aforementioned incompetent suits. 

But there's always light at the end of the tunnel. We just have to hope it's not the muzzle glow from our suits shooting themselves in the foot yet again, this time using the service revolver to dispatch our Nige. I wouldn't bank on it, mind. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

Just now, The hand of RO'D said:

I genuinely appreciate the job he’s done. But can you honestly hand on heart say we’ve progressed on the pitch under Pearson?

Depends what you measure progress against and the context.

Not having a go at you Rod, but there is so much lazy bollax that goes with “we need a young, forward thinking manager / coach”, like it’s the silver bullet.

We should at least see how we start to shape up this season, having done so much grunt work over 2 and a bit seasons.  We could easily have headed the way of Derby, Reading, etc.  Birmingham just about kept their head above water / out of relegation.

I think now he’s squared the books, he’s really at ground zero, and we now judge how good a foundation he’s laid.  It looks decent to me.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I genuinely appreciate the job he’s done. But can you honestly hand on heart say we’ve progressed on the pitch under Pearson?

But how were we doing - on the pitch - before Pearson, R'ODders?

We'd lost 7 in a row, that's how! Pearson turns up, we won 3 of the next 5. All away from home!

Caveat - the other 2 were home defeats and we still haven't cracked how to play well at home. I'll give you that.

But in answer to your initial question - Yes! Probably. If not absolutely. Cheer up dude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Which clubs and managers have been successful playing fast flowing attacking football recently. I'll give you Kompany and Burnley but other than that. 

More chance of leaving this division upwardly by playing tight pragmatic football 

Brentford, Brighton, Bournemouth 

Excited with the prospect of Nige potentially leaving after this season?

Controversial post I know. Now, don’t get me wrong, the job he has done to this point has been great. He has trimmed the wage bill and has had limited funds at his disposal since he’s arrived which could be detrimental to how his success will be perceived in years to come. Look at when Leicester won the premier league, a lot of credit came Niges way from the players who were involved who said if it wasn’t for Nige sorting issues behind the scenes they wouldn’t have had that success. Are we at a similar crossroads?

The football since he’s taken over hasn’t been great. We had terrible form at home for a long time, struggled to take the game to the opposition and have treaded water in mid table for his reign. Has Nige sorted the club out off the pitch but has subsequently ran his course with the club? Is SL ready to take the plunge in another manager with fresh ideas who will bring, in my opinion, a much needed footballing identity to the club? Perhaps why we’re seeing the purse strings tightened after the sale of Scott & Semenyo?

Entitely my opinion but I feel we need a new coach, not a manager, with a clear footballing identity and style of play to take us to the next level.

Said this on numerous threads I think the work and foundation Pearson has laid down will be looked upon in the future favourably but he will not be the manager to win us a promotion, I’m not sure if has always been this way but he seems to lack desire ! Every defeat appears to be disappointing but acceptable!

I don’t feel he takes too many risks or hands out too many hairdryers from the vibe he gives off! I also don’t think he is pushing Lansdown for important loans which could be essential in achieving short term goals!

I think the ideal manager for us is Alex Neil he has a fire in him and ambition we would be a perfect club for him and vice versa as a next boss ?‍♂️ 

I would be tempted for Gary Rowett aswell out of favour at Millwall but they are managers who are ideal replacements imo or maybe we will finally appoint Mark Robins!

These are the types we need ready to take over a solid club and have something to prove 

3 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Did they have owners who were either (1) willing to give the finger to ffp, or (2) have a cunning plan? 

Compared to our owner who is unwilling to do the former and doesn't have the latter.

Therein lies the problem. Imho. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Brentford I'll give you.

Hughton was decent but not quite, Bournemouth under Howe when Parachute Payments were not such a gsp and they broke FFP.

Parker wouldnt entirely fit the category but they like all newly relegated clubs are hugely advantaged by Parachute Payments among other things.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Not writing it off but something feels unnervingly stagnant with the club at the moment.

No it doesn’t . It’s that we have a element of bedwetters on here crying because we haven’t spent multi millions on the squad . Not realising we’d end up where we were 3 years ago wages wise again . It’s honestly pathetic. If we’d won Saturday , literally none of this would of been spoken about 

30 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

**** me . ?????????????????????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But how were we doing - on the pitch - before Pearson, R'ODders?

We'd lost 7 in a row, that's how! Pearson turns up, we won 3 of the next 5. All away from home!

Caveat - the other 2 were home defeats and we still haven't cracked how to play well at home. I'll give you that.

But in answer to your initial question - Yes! Probably. If not absolutely. 

One swallow doesn’t make a summer, new manager bounce and all that jazz. 
Personally I personally  feel we’ve regressed under Pearson in the last year. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think there's some confirmation bias here though right?

Brighton had Hughton who is around Pearson's age for 5 years. Presumably you don't mean him?

Bournemouth had and fired, in the space of 3 years Tindall, Woodgate, Parket, and O'Neil - all "young" (well under 50). Are they the successful young managers you mean? Woodgate was the youngest and only lasted a few moths, only one of them managed a year.

It's easy to look at a current young manager and think "Wow, young managers work"... but what about all the ones who don't?

Last year Wigan got relegated with Maloney (40 years old), Blackpool with interim Dobbie (43) after firing Appleton (47) earlier in the season. Reading went down having fired Hunt (40) earlier in the season.

What about those young managers?

Not picking on you specifically, sorry, but this "we need a young exciting manager" things annoys me a bit!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I think there's some confirmation bias here though right?

Brighton had Hughton who is around Pearson's age for 5 years. Presumably you don't mean him?

Bournemouth had and fired, in the space of 3 years Tindall, Woodgate, Parket, and O'Neil - all "young" (well under 50). Are they the successful young managers you mean? Woodgate was the youngest and only lasted a few moths, only one of them managed a year.

It's easy to look at a current young manager and think "Wow, young managers work"... but what about all the ones who don't?

Last year Wigan got relegated with Maloney (40 years old), Blackpool with interim Dobbie (43) after firing Appleton (47) earlier in the season. Reading went down having fired Hunt (40) earlier in the season.

What about those young managers?

Not picking on you specifically, sorry, but this "we need a young exciting manager" things annoys me a bit!

Yeah, exactly.

Besides which the Parachute Payments advantage for Bournemouth was huge.

Parker was the main man there and while I dunno how universal my view.

Pearson > Parker

Any day..

Could you imagine Pearson taking over Bournekurh in summer 2021? Budget and resources? Up!

Could you imagine Parker taking us over in March 2021.

We would either have to get very lucky by no layer than May 2022 or be screwed into the ground for years such was our financial position even with cost cutting.

Parker with such cost cutting? Screwed and he would whine etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisBW said:

Yes completely agree, I would like to see us with a coach with a clear footballing philosophy, someone proven at this level. LJ, Holden weren’t championship level managers and prior to that we had more old school type managers, with exception of SOD who clearly had lost the magic touch he has had.

I wonder whether Pearson is too reliant on his coaches, I would love to see a Lowe, Schumacher or Robins here next. Very unlikely I know.

Under Lee Johnson, Bristol City finished in three of their five highest league positions since 1980.  8th in the Championship (2018-19), 11th (2017-18) and 12th (2018-19)

Also in the top five: Gary Johnson - 4th in the Championship 2007-08, Jimmy Lumsden 9th in the 'Championship' 1990-91. 

Edited by firstdivision

My feeling is Pearson could walk rather than be released. He allegedly came in with the remit of clearing the deadwood out, reducing the wage bill of the top earners , and develop from within with the academy youngsters. 

He's done a great job doing all that whilst trying to get us playing better football with some, not total, success.

Now he's lost his star player and seemingly not been given much leeway to replace him. You can't keep selling the family silver and hoping for the best. I hope Nige stays and things improve on the pitch, but as we've seen so far this season, and I know it's still early, we don't seem to have a game plan that will prove successful. 

SL seems determined to play safe and cautious. Frankly the football so far has been pretty boring. It just feels a bit insecure at the club for me. It's all very flat imo.

• Like 1