IGNORED

Am I the only one?

The hand of RO'D

1 hour ago, tin said:

20+ years of managerial decisions say otherwise, Spike. 

As I said, I don't think he's as stupid as people think he is, and what I mean by that is people thinking he's stupid enough to bring back a man who didn't work out and many still dislike.
At the time LJ was here he was the very definition of a manager who split the fans, many hated him, many loved him, but ultimately no-one agreed on him. SL has made bad choices, no doubt about that but he's also got this club into the Championship, we're still here, he's developed a better stadium and given us some amazing talent through the fantastic training facilities. I think from a business side he knows what he's doing, from a football side I think he thinks he knows what he's doing but has proven he can make mistakes, however, I think as a businessman he learns from those mistakes and the fact LJ hasn't done anything noteworthy since he's left, the fact so many fans still do not want him and the fact that as much as he may be a friend of SL, SL is at least smart enough to know that LJ isn't going to work. LJ was backed more than any manager in my lifetime and I've just turned 42 and he still failed, if SL brings him back then it would just confirm to me that he's looking to sell very soon and needs a man he can trust to do as he's told to ensure the club isn't overspending, if that happens I think SL would receive insane backlash from the fans and the club wouldn't be a sellable asset if he unites the fans against him and the manager to a point where they rebel.

I don't think we'll be seeing LJ, I think we'll most likely be seeing a man come in who is willing to work with no budget though and will do as he's told, that's when I think the fans will really see how well Pearson has done here and will miss him when he's gone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I've taken a massive step back this season, because life has got in the way 

However reading all the reports and frustration with funds and empty benches seems a bit Steve Cotterill ending.

We really do like to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory don't we, sigh 

I think it simply comes down to Landsdown hoping Pearson could do a promotion job on minimum wages so to speak, I mean when I say this I don't mean Pearson is underpaid, I just think he's being expected to achieve something that he's simply not being funded to do. I guess if anything this tenure has just proven that we cannot fund a promotional team without punching massively over our own weight, much like a few teams have managed and many many more have failed at.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

When your manager’s surname is Johnson, this happens in one season. It’s embarrassing SL!

Tad harsh on GJ to lump the two together. He did a great salvage job from the bottom end of League One and yes it got worse before it got better under GJ to top of the Championship as late as April 2008! If only we had a be a

Perhaps it went wrong in the end or perhaps his work in the last should have earned him one more crack in summer 2010 to clear out many and rebuild properly but to compare the two, no I don't see it.

I do agree with the underlying premise which is that LJ has been backed as a percentage far more than NP- this is exactly the time to back NP really.

• Like 3

On 24/08/2023 at 20:13, The hand of RO'D said:

I genuinely appreciate the job he’s done. But can you honestly hand on heart say we’ve progressed on the pitch under Pearson?

Difficult to progress when as a manager you have no control over the sale of your best players. How do you replace the likes of semenyo (who is now starting to blossom at Bournemouth)Alex Scott? lloyd Kelly? in essence 3 members of a premier league  squad. Meanwhile elsewhere Bobby Reid and Adam Webster are dong alright thank you very much.Add to that no funds available from the As transfer.Oh! and by the way Nigel Zak Vyner might be on his way a player whose career you rehabilitated,thanks for that another couple of million in the coffers. pep guardiola could not succeed at this club,there is no football mentality at the top. 

Probably doesn’t matter much who the manager is if you continually sell your best players for about £80 million and sign mainly lower league players to replace them. Your likely to be mediocre in the championship with a lower mid table finish, at best, the probable outcome   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There a fair few in here that actually migh to like to sit back and consider 

With FFP and now Lansdown himself demanding we slash expenditure and having to shelve players like rotten peas , and recruit in a completely different and creative way

With this crap manager we apparently have , where would we be if he hadn’t run with Max , got a L2 full back doing a job, greatly improved Zak Vyner, greatly improved and given a chance to Cam Pring, Helped )a very talented) Scott to develop to earn us 2 yrs of performances and £25m , Given , and backed Conway and Scott their chances , now Yeboah

(Add in things such as Wells and Weimann enough faith and happy under his regime , to resign , for reduced wages )

Now you can debate all you like the quality or week to performances of any or all ,

But , without their (The Conways  , Pring etc etc)  contributions at various times and for various periods , as all ‘cheap’ Championship players in terms of wage , and with Lansdown seemingly ( Besides expecting a PO Push with a slashed budget in terms of fees and wages :laugh:) having completely pulled back on expenditure , where would we be ?

Ill tell you ,

with the vast , vast , majority of appointments we could have made 

LEAGUE ONE

• Like 1
  • Flames 8

50 minutes ago, Spike said:

As I said, I don't think he's as stupid as people think he is, and what I mean by that is people thinking he's stupid enough to bring back a man who didn't work out and many still dislike.
At the time LJ was here he was the very definition of a manager who split the fans, many hated him, many loved him, but ultimately no-one agreed on him. SL has made bad choices, no doubt about that but he's also got this club into the Championship, we're still here, he's developed a better stadium and given us some amazing talent through the fantastic training facilities. I think from a business side he knows what he's doing, from a football side I think he thinks he knows what he's doing but has proven he can make mistakes, however, I think as a businessman he learns from those mistakes and the fact LJ hasn't done anything noteworthy since he's left, the fact so many fans still do not want him and the fact that as much as he may be a friend of SL, SL is at least smart enough to know that LJ isn't going to work. LJ was backed more than any manager in my lifetime and I've just turned 42 and he still failed, if SL brings him back then it would just confirm to me that he's looking to sell very soon and needs a man he can trust to do as he's told to ensure the club isn't overspending, if that happens I think SL would receive insane backlash from the fans and the club wouldn't be a sellable asset if he unites the fans against him and the manager to a point where they rebel.

I don't think we'll be seeing LJ, I think we'll most likely be seeing a man come in who is willing to work with no budget though and will do as he's told, that's when I think the fans will really see how well Pearson has done here and will miss him when he's gone.

Minor correction for the bold section. Keith Dawe got us back in the Championship together  with Keith Burt overseeing the reorganisation after relegation, and appointed Cotts. Believe he stepped down 2018/2019 with JL taking over.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2

53 minutes ago, Spike said:

And relegated back to L1 on a few occasions

He won’t be leaving any great Football Leagacy

On 25/08/2023 at 10:08, Davefevs said:

I guess every team’s aim is to get promoted.

Then comes a set of expectations / targets / measures of achievement.

Im not saying it’s anywhere near as basic as this, or that these are the right categories, but if I put it into our job type objectives:

Autos - top performer 

POs - exceeded expectations

Top 10 - above 

Top 14 - met

Top 18 - below

Below - did not meet

if this was Nige’s appraisal, I think below 14th starts to get Steve twitchy.

Of course, these objectives should be multiple, inc things like financial performance too, e.g. did he stick to the wage bill, did he generate transfer revenue.

If it truly was just league position driving Nige’s position, then I think we’d see different decisions made on selling Alex, or the tightness of the wage budget.

@Davefevssounds like you’ve been through that appraisal system before….

• Haha 1

Only when NP has gone and if the new appointment has to work under s similar structure will some such as the OP realise what we have now.

Under many who could have taken over in March 2021, we could have sunk. Last time we tried this post Coppell pretty much we ended up in League One!

One season of genuine attempts at the cost cutting ie 2012-13 and we were sunk.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I wonder how many games SL and JL watch between them. Neither live in the country. If it is the case that interest is dwindling then we potentially have a board who are looking at things purely on figures and have no idea what the club needs on the pitch. This is purely speculation on my part but I'd be surprised if either of them watch every game on Robins TV or otherwise. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I wonder how many games SL and JL watch between them. Neither live in the country. If it is the case that interest is dwindling then we potentially have a board who are looking at things purely on figures and have no idea what the club needs on the pitch. This is purely speculation on my part but I'd be surprised if either of them watch every game on Robins TV or otherwise. 

I wouldn't. Lots of things you can throw at them, but they'd watch every game.

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Now as a fan of many years & seen the lows of 82 & 3 back to back relegations, I keep going because I’m Bristolian & whilst they tempt your patience I genuinely love the club. 

As a fan, I’m bemused by the timing of wage constraints after an extensive focus on squad reduction & raising £25m for Scott.

We clearly need signings & help & Pearson after doing everything he’s been asked to do must be thinking what’s the point as the club could be perceived as setting him up for failure. 

If I was Nige with no financial imperative to work & no long term affinity with club & my boss kept asking me to deliver when asking me to cut costs & lose my best players then I’d think why bother & walk. 

Perhaps it says more about me but what is the motivation for him to stay?  Genuinely can’t see why you’d stay & nobody could blame him if he did walk unless he knows that’s what Lansdown wants. 

I think Nige’s motivation is that he feels (with a bit of backing) we aren’t that far away from being competitive in the top half, and with a tail wind…

But we are a couple of players short.

3 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Has he played there for us before last night? Genuine question. Being able to play in a position and playing in your best position are 2 completely different things. Alex Scott had a stint at RB. We’d be up in arms if NP continued to play him there last  season.

Yes, pre-season last season when he signed, he was being used as a RM and a 10.  Wilson’s injury and Tanner development meant he started as a RWB for us.

He wasn’t signed to play RWB or RF per se.

• Like 1

Just now, BasSavage88 said:

Out of interest, What do people think Pearson has done differently than another manager would/could have?

Plenty. Taken in isolation perhaps not but as a package plenty.

Many managers would not have accepted the necessary spending constraints that lasted for 18 months when he came in. He has done so and mostly with good grace.

He has blooded youth. In part out of necessity.

He has improved the baseline of performance.

All the while and again for 18 months out of necessity seeing the wage bill and amortisation slashed- the pool we were fishing in drained.

I suppose what you can say without equivocation is that unlike managers he put the club first not his short term position. That is very unusual in this day and age.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plenty. Taken in isolation perhaps not but as a package plenty.

Many managers would not have accepted the necessary spending constraints that lasted for 18 months when he came in. He has done so and mostly with good grace.

Wouldn't anyone have had the exact same constraints? And ones he would have been fully aware of 

He has blooded youth. In part out of necessity.

Again, any manager would have had to do the same 

He has improved the baseline of performance.

Not so sure about that

All the while and again for 18 months out of necessity seeing the wage bill and amortisation slashed- the pool we were fishing in drained.

I suppose what you can say without equivocation is that unlike managers he put the club first not his short term position. That is very unusual in this day and age.

He didn't have a choice though, he was a manager I doubt many people would have taken a chance on given his record since getting Leicester promoted years and years ago

2 hours ago, Spike said:

The irony of it is, what you say is common sense, but SL was not afraid to pull the trigger on Cotterill when we were struggling and bring in Johnson and give him money to spend to keep us up, then back him time and time again, albeit with Ashton calling the shots. The catalyst in his eyes could be Johnson was not the problem, Ashton was. 

If we were languishing in November or December, I would not be at all surprised to see Lansdown send Pearson packing and bring back Lee to make sure we don't go down, and then keep him on and back him.

Lansdown is someone who doesn't like to be proved wrong, Pearson was not his man, Johnson very much was/is. 

I personally wouldn't want it to happen, and don't think it should happen, but I most definitely can see it happening, especially now Hibbs have sacked him, if anything, it has given the opportunity for Lansdown to bring back his man. Lee Johnson being without a club is dangerous for us fans, as I've absolutely no doubt, Lansdown would bring him back in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

We night have a Board but in name only. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Out of interest, What do people think Pearson has done differently than another manager would/could have?

Kept us up? ??‍♂️

26 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Wouldn't anyone have had the exact same constraints? And ones he would have been fully aware of 

Not so sure about that

He didn't have a choice though, he was a manager I doubt many people would have taken a chance on given his record since getting Leicester promoted years and years ago

He saw a challenge / opportunity others would’ve run a mile from.  The appointment of Holden (who I think was poorly treated too) shows who was willing to come in.

”you’d be surprised at the global interest we have had”!!!

I know you want Nige gone, but do you not, even with the latest evidence of SL’s restrictions, see what a shiftiest Nige has had to overcome.  Surely your blinkers aren’t that big, or are you full sheepskin nose-band and having to be led into the stalls too? ??‍♂️

23 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

The irony of it is, what you say is common sense, but SL was not afraid to pull the trigger on Cotterill when we were struggling and bring in Johnson and give him money to spend to keep us up, then back him time and time again, albeit with Ashton calling the shots. The catalyst in his eyes could be Johnson was not the problem, Ashton was. 

If we were languishing in November or December, I would not be at all surprised to see Lansdown send Pearson packing and bring back Lee to make sure we don't go down, and then keep him on and back him.

Lansdown is someone who doesn't like to be proved wrong, Pearson was not his man, Johnson very much was/is. 

I personally wouldn't want it to happen, and don't think it should happen, but I most definitely can see it happening, especially now Hibbs have sacked him, if anything, it has given the opportunity for Lansdown to bring back his man. Lee Johnson being without a club is dangerous for us fans, as I've absolutely no doubt, Lansdown would bring him back in a heartbeat. 

Although didn’t have the balls to do it himself, brought in Ashton to do the deed.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

By your previous posts about wonder boy , You’d would actually love it wouldn’t you , 

You think Johnson would get more out this squad than Pearson ? ?

Good Luck with that

Lee Johnson has achieved zilch as a manager

Take a moment and read what Sunderland , Hibs fans,  and pundits in press , say about him , and what Barnsley fans told us... the same messages .... the same comments

Hes a bull****r , with an over inflated opinion of his football / management expertise , one who p***s players off and is as awful in recruitment 

Is Lansdown stupid enough to do it.....possibly , I’d put nothing past him with his track record

After 50+ years of following City all over the country , and Italy ! , If that happened I’d be done with the Club , certainly while the Lansdowns owned it

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

By your previous posts about wonder boy , You’d would actually love it wouldn’t you , 

You think Johnson would get more out this squad than Pearson ? ?

Good Luck with that

Lee Johnson has achieved zilch as a manager

Take a moment and read what Sunderland , Hibs fans,  and pundits in press , say about him , and what Barnsley fans told us... the same messages .... the same comments

Hes a bull****r , with an over inflated opinion of his football / management expertise , one who p***s players off and is as awful in recruitment 

Is Lansdown stupid enough to do it.....possibly , I’d put nothing past him with his track record

After 50+ years of following City all over the country , and Italy ! , If that happened I’d be done with the Club , certainly while the Lansdowns owned it

I wouldn't love it, but he would get my support.

Whether he could get more out of this squad than Pearson, I have no idea, but it is Pearson's squad and he isn't getting much out of it either. I felt we would progress this season, and I was optimistic, but there has been little to be excited about thus far, we have sold the crown jewels, yet not able to use the money raised from them, and we are creating very little. I don't think this is Pearson's fault, not at all, as his hands are tied, but I am concerned that for all the sacrifices made by the team under Pearson, we could be more at risk of relegation this season than any other, despite apparently now being financially sound. 

I very much doubt Pearson will be here come the end of the season. I also worry that SL will make a reckless decision, based on position / performance and not because he has made the task impossible. 

1 hour ago, BasSavage88 said:

Would have made it a very unenticing prospect! A new manager may have come in keen or a new going manager and not had that experience to fall back on.

Look at managers like Scott Parker e.g. agitating, look at Lopetegui at Wolves who is btw a high calibre manager after one window where it hasn't gone his way!

Indeed but we would habe attracted nobody else of note. I expect we would have been floundering badly under a promising but inexperienced manager...NP had a very tough remit.

Strong chance we would habe gone down from the position inherited in March 2021.

Not so sure about that

If you can't see the improvement on February 2021...we were stale and entering to some extent freefall too, the possession was down, the shots were among the lowest in the League, more than one shot on target was a rarity and we were conceding a boatload of chances. Morale was on the floor, the injury list was a shambles despite a record wage bill (for us) of £35m.

The wage bill and amortisation are down, the youth products in the main side are stepping up and varied discarded players such as O'Leary, Vyner and Pring have been brought back. Partly out of necessity but credit to NP as well.

All of those key metrics are up. At home we are having some difficulties but this is where SL needs to step up too.

More fool them!

People like Parker, Martin, Maresca and Kompany, I mean what hard yards have they done. Watford he pulled off a great turnaround at and yet was inexplicably sacked with 2 games left- he couldn't and wouldn't have done any worse than 2 losses!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would have made it a very unenticing prospect! A new manager may have come in keen or a new going manager and not had that experience to fall back on.

Look at managers like Scott Parker e.g. agitating, look at Lopetegui at Wolves who is btw a high calibre manager after one window where it hasn't gone his way!

Indeed but we would habe attracted nobody else of note. I expect we would have been floundering badly under a promising but inexperienced manager...NP had a very tough remit.

If you can't see the improvement on February 2021...we were stale and entering to some extent freefall too, the possession was down, the shots were among the lowest in the League, more than one shot on target was a rarity and we were conceding a boatload of chances. Morale was on the floor, the injury list was a shambles despite a record wage bill (for us) of £35m.

All of those key metrics are up. At home we are having some difficulties but this is where SL needs to step up too.

More fool them!

People like Parker, Martin, Maresca and Kompany, I mean what hard yards have they done. Watford he pulled off a great turnaround at and yet was inexplicably sacked with 2 games left- he couldn't and wouldn't have done any worse than 2 losses!

After trying to convince myself that SL wouldn’t bring Golden Boy back you’ve just sent another cold shiver down my spine Mr P......

Scott Parker ?

OMG

If it wasn’t Golden Boy , you could just see it 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

After trying to convince myself that SL wouldn’t bring Golden Boy back you’ve just sent another cold shiver down my spine Mr P......

Scott Parker ?

OMG

If it wasn’t Golden Boy , you could just see it 

I've never rated Parker, Sheltons. Overrated and strikes me as a bit entitled all told. Perhaps entitled is a little unfair.

It's the sort of biggish name with "2 promotions so he must be good" that we could see SL wondering about as the final £28.5m loss disappears from view. I sincerely hope neither him, LJ or anyone of that ilk.

2-3 year deal to NP, back him as far as possible while remaining sensible and continuing the good aspects while tweaking the excessive caution would be my preferred solution!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've never rated Parker, Sheltons. Overrated and strikes me as a bit entitled all told.

It's the sort of biggish name with "2 promotions so he must be good" that we could see SL wondering about as the final £28.5m loss disappears from view. I sincerely hope neither him, LJ or anyone of that ilk.

2-3 year deal to NP, back him as far as possible while remaining sensible and continuing the good aspects while tweaking the excessive caution would be my preferred solution!

He’s another LJ for me

Slightly more likeable,  but completely overrated for jobs and been awful in them

Lansdown would love him

• Like 1