IGNORED

Desperate for a Striker

Dolman Block B

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Didn’t see the game last night but heard good things around Yeboah. Are we seeing him as more of a right sided option or central striker? It’s clear as day even before Tommy was injured that we needed a powerful CF. 

But remember he is 17 and raw.

Quality Championship defenders will wrap him up.

To be fair, Pearson has been backed in the final third.  He has signed or re-signed Wells, Cornick, Weimann, Sykes and Mehmetti. He also has one very good kid in Conway and one in Bell who he seems to like.  Who out of those 7 are currently good enough?  Let’s not pretend that this isn’t Pearson’s squad now 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

I think the issue is more to do with formation than lack of personnel. Wells or Bell playing alone down the middle leaves them isolated and so easy to mark. Slightly different when you're playing Conway there as he's already shown he's more than capable. Cornick and Mehmeti haven't (yet) shown they're anywhere near good enough to play as the other front two. They were so poor last night. Their game seems to suit our style more away from home. If I'm being kind. 

I'd much prefer to see us play two of Bell/Wells/Weimann up top with Knight behind. And then a midfield three of James-Williams-Naismith. I realise that makes us lack width but at present the two advanced forwards offer very little. You also bring out the best in Weimann playing up front alongside someone else. If he's ever fit...

When Conway's back, things look a lot better, but that's still about 2 months away.  

Edited by Fat Cigar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

To be fair, Pearson has been backed in the final third.  He has signed or re-signed Wells, Cornick, Weimann, Sykes and Mehmetti. He also has one very good kid in Conway and one in Bell who he seems to like.  Who out of those 7 are currently good enough?  Let’s not pretend that this isn’t Pearson’s squad now 

the first 2 on your list are not! Mehmetti shows how good he is on every appearance, problem is he is not yet scoring himself and there's rarely a striker positioned to latch onto his crosses or skilled (quick) enough to sink em!  Weimann - NP has not played him in the same role he was in when scoring regularly and does not seem the have recovered from the last serious injury.

3 hours ago, BCFCAL said:

I still don't think it's a striker that we're lacking. We have Wells, Conway (Wasn't injured start of season), Weimann (Played there at Villa and got goals for us there what, 3 years ago? Unfortunately injured again), Cornick (Has played there). Although not many rate Cornick (Myself included) we've got 3 players to fill one position if none are injured - that's enough when we only play one formation, and it's evident that we won't change.

What we're missing is creativity in my eyes. Nothing whatsoever from the middle and nothing from the wings. All there is from the wings is a little bit of pace, combined with the worst pieces of final ball I've ever seen, amateur football included. Wells will score if given the chance, but unfortunately we don't get in those positions, and Wells has actually been dropping deeper just to get on the ball.

I left Yeboah out of striker options as I don't think anyone expected him to be where he is now, and I don't think you can rely massively on a 17 year old with a lack of experience, but he's another option.

We create chances, just reference the Hull game, but are unable to take them. Semenyo out Cornick in, Conway injured. No surprise really. The other thing that should be a surprise but sadly isn't, is when the team really need strengthening, Lansdown is no where to be seen. 

16 minutes ago, Wrongagain said:

the first 2 on your list are not! Mehmetti shows how good he is on every appearance, problem is he is not yet scoring himself and there's rarely a striker positioned to latch onto his crosses or skilled (quick) enough to sink em!  Weimann - NP has not played him in the same role he was in when scoring regularly and does not seem the have recovered from the last serious injury.

Well Pearson signed one and re-signed another. I see very little comment on Pearson’s signing record 

25 minutes ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

An unpopular opinion maybe but Wells and Weimann should've been moved on last year IMO. Too old and taking up a huge chunk of the wage budget. 

Or Pearson knew that he wouldn't be able to bring in players on more than 8-10K a week, but was allowed to keep those two if he got them from 20K+ a week to 12K, meaning, them on reduced terms was better than them off the books and only allowed to bring in players to fit a budget that outside of League one or two players we would struggle to attract,

When players at Bolton, and St Patricks are rejecting us, it says something in my opinion. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Well Pearson signed one and re-signed another. I see very little comment on Pearson’s signing record 

That Weimann he re-signed?

Not the same bloke who scored 22 the following season? Can’t be, because some are now saying we should have moved him on last season.

There’s constructive criticism & there’s Donald Trump levels of delusion & alternative reality.

Weimann is now in the last year of his deal, he clearly needs to come back fit & deliver to get another deal but along with the Clarke-Harris nonsense (9 goals in a full season last time he played at this level & that included penalties), there’s absolutely no perspective here.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

Wont moan about the wage budget because there is another thread for that - its so apparent that Nige has a severe displeasure for how the board are treating him. It’s obvious that he wants to make more signings/ he knows we NEED to make more signings but Lansdown is being tight about it.

Additionally, does anyone else think that the reason that Nige isnt being backed is because of the uncertainty regarding his contract situation. Im worried that nige is gunna hand SL a letter telling him that hes gunna retire at the end of the season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Additionally, does anyone else think that the reason that Nige isnt being backed is because of the uncertainty regarding his contract situation. Im worried that nige is gunna hand SL a letter telling him that hes gunna retire at the end of the season.

It is becoming more and more difficult to read the runes of Ashton Gate.

What we do know does suggest all is not well.

If our owner had the slightest interest he would make a clear, unequivocal, and transparent statement on the present situation at the club and future plans.  His management style leaves a great deal to be desired.  As for the club Chairman, I frankly have long ago given up in that direction ……..

• Like 1

It couldn't be us, could it?

BristolWorld believes that an unnamed Championship side that is not Stoke City as previously reported, holds an interest in Collins, but that is as far as it goes. A club in question has recently received a transfer windfall from the sale of one of their key players to a rival and could consider Collins as a potential replacement.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It couldn't be us, could it?

BristolWorld believes that an unnamed Championship side that is not Stoke City as previously reported, holds an interest in Collins, but that is as far as it goes. A club in question has recently received a transfer windfall from the sale of one of their key players to a rival and could consider Collins as a potential replacement.

Sounds like Swansea to me, Piroe to Leeds being the windfall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Let’s not pretend either that this is anywhere near a squad Pearson would like to have had after 2 1/2 years either.  My wording is that it’s a compromise.  Do you think that some signings / re-signings were transitional because we couldn’t bring in who we really wanted, so short of going with an even smaller squad than we currently have, we have had to sign / keep a few players we might not have had circumstances been different?

This is the first summer he appears to have really recruited what he wanted.  And he had to give up Semenyo in January for that!

And then the owner has shafted him following the sale of our best player for £25m and not allowed him to add to the squad.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And then the owner has shafted him following the sale of our best player for £25m and not allowed him to add to the squad.

Steve's disingenuous claim that we should be able to emulate Luton plays into this perhaps. If he believes that (and ignores the fact that by his logic that would apply to every club in the Championship) why would he give Nigel more?

It would also allow him to say Nigel has failed and justify, in his mind, replacing him with a more compliant manager.

Cynical of me no doubt but with either no or confusing communication it's hard not to be.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Let’s not pretend either that this is anywhere near a squad Pearson would like to have had after 2 1/2 years either.  My wording is that it’s a compromise.  Do you think that some signings / re-signings were transitional because we couldn’t bring in who we really wanted, so short of going with an even smaller squad than we currently have, we have had to sign / keep a few players we might not have had circumstances been different?

This is the first summer he appears to have really recruited what he wanted.  And he had to give up Semenyo in January for that!

Yep!!!!

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

No, let's 

Looks like HM is joining Burnley and we could recieve compesation of up to 1 million (not my words see the thread on the transfer page)

Surely we could use this towards a top strikers wages?

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/han-noah-massengo-burnley-bristol-city-leeds-united-4273691?fbclid=IwAR1aoAkfdcpFD7oRPS18l5XrCIfR8g8aLK40OcAcnSQT88v8iqnziUYlUEk

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Looks like HM is joining Burnley and we could recieve compesation of up to 1 million (not my words see the thread on the transfer page)

Surely we could use this towards a top strikers wages?

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/han-noah-massengo-burnley-bristol-city-leeds-united-4273691?fbclid=IwAR1aoAkfdcpFD7oRPS18l5XrCIfR8g8aLK40OcAcnSQT88v8iqnziUYlUEk

If bringing in 25m doesn’t give Pearson money for players, I don’t think 1m does!

• Like 1