IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

6 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

£240,000,000 / £1,720,000,000 ≠ 3.5%

That City spending figure actually represents 13.95% of the net wealth figure. 

Let’s not forget that the £240m spent on City is £240m lost / spent.  He ain’t giving it away. If he gets £100m back then it’s ”only” £140m spent.

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm no expert on this, but doesn't the debt for the stadium redevelopment appear on the accounts? 

@Mr Popodopolous ??

Can be measured in a couple of ways.

You have to go back to the time of the stadium development or maybe it was for Aston Vale to check for sure. There is an item in the Profit and Loss account for a number of years, presumably to be capitalised when it hits the Balance Sheet. As we know sadly It was never built.

As for the redevelopment, not so much- maybe without checked in a while there was something in the Strategic Report. Will very much show albeit not itemised in the Tangible Fixed Assets part of Cash Flow and maybe Loans would specify but again not checked in a while.

As for who paid, mix of club, SL and if there was any private investment that too.

@Davefevs @ExiledAjax @Hxj ?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Let’s not forget that the £240m spent on City is £240m lost / spent.  He ain’t giving it away. If he gets £100m back then it’s ”only” £140m spent.

I didn't say I agreed with the logic!

Was just keen to put the correct percentage into the conversation because the 3.5% was either a genuine mistake or a deliberate act to stir up tensions. 

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

I didn't say I agreed with the logic!

Was just keen to put the correct percentage into the conversation because the 3.5% was either a genuine mistake or a deliberate act to stir up tensions. 

Yeah I know, I wasn’t having a go, just making a general point and using your post to tag for everyone that he hasn’t sunk £240m.

12 hours ago, phantom said:

I hate to say but you massively don't understand how financing a football club works 

The money that goes in and out of the football club is NOT via SLs bank account 

Of course it isn’t.

Club runs up debt (consistently) converts said debt to shares which SL buys (from his own funds). This dilutes all other share holders in process but that I see as largely irrelevant.

the fact is SL has funded stadium and club for many year. That is very different to saying he has been a complete success 

4 hours ago, Greyrobbo said:

No

I despair, we have a Bristolian owner who has invested at least £ 250million pounds in the club with no return and not the slightest chance of selling for remotely anything like that but is constantly criticised. Apparently he is an absent owner, would his critics prefer the owner to live in the US or the Middle East? I’m a long time season ticket holder who is disappointed by our present position and could possibly complain about his selection of managers but otherwise very grateful. His critics should support the Rovers as that’s where we would be without him!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

52 minutes ago, Ego said:

I despair, we have a Bristolian owner who has invested at least £ 250million pounds in the club with no return and not the slightest chance of selling for remotely anything like that but is constantly criticised. Apparently he is an absent owner, would his critics prefer the owner to live in the US or the Middle East? I’m a long time season ticket holder who is disappointed by our present position and could possibly complain about his selection of managers but otherwise very grateful. His critics should support the Rovers as that’s where we would be without him!

Really?

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Dumb post. He will sell the club and AG for a significant amount of money, recouping much of what he has put in. The remaining money he'll "lose" will be seen by him as a bargain for the prestige, interest and soft power we have brought him and H&L. He has said as much himself. 

SL is currently a non-UK citizen and his son and our chairman lives in Bermuda. What difference exactly if a new owner lived in the US or the Middle East? Do you have a specific problem with people from these parts of the world?

As for supporting Rovers, you can **** right off. 

I couldn’t be arsed to write more than one word in my response…but this ⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ego said:

Assuming you are correct and Steve has laid out £250m of his own cash and if he got nothing at all back he has lost less than £12.5m per year. If he could recoup a relatively paltry £100m of his £250m outlay for the privilege of owning Bristol City FC, Bristol Bears RFC, Bristol City WFC, Bristol Bears WRFC and Bristol Flyers Basketball for over 20 years a billionaire has paid out less than £7.5m per year of his own cash in effect...........and forgetting any benefits of being the Owner in the first place to his business interests. If he recoups £150m it's less than £5m per year etc. etc. Let's be honest here, that level of spend to a billionaire is an expensive HOBBY. A competitive match angler on £35K per year will spend a higher proportion of their disposable............

Of course everyone is grateful for the money but the narrative that the guy has sold the family silver to follow HIS OWN ambitions to purchase the vast majority of the Bristol sporting empire is slightly misguided and hasn't been thought through.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4
  • Robin 1

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Dumb post. He will sell the club and AG for a significant amount of money, recouping much of what he has put in. The remaining money he'll "lose" will be seen by him as a bargain for the prestige, interest and soft power we have brought him and H&L. He has said as much himself. 

SL is currently a non-UK citizen and his son and our chairman lives in Bermuda. What difference exactly if a new owner lived in the US or the Middle East? Do you have a specific problem with people from these parts of the world?

It’s also very difficult to criticise and say what I’d do if i was a billionaire, however the fact is, if i was a billionaire I’d have been prepared to put in as much as SL has. 

1 hour ago, Ego said:

Weird take on things - dont agree with how certain things are done so go and support the gas!! Supported City before SL and i shall support the after SL. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Assuming you are correct and Steve has laid out £250m of his own cash and if he got nothing at all back he has lost less than £12.5m per year. If he could recoup a relatively paltry £100m of his £250m outlay for the privilege of owning Bristol City FC, Bristol Bears RFC, Bristol City WFC, Bristol Bears WRFC and Bristol Flyers Basketball for over 20 years a billionaire has paid out less than £7.5m per year of his own cash in effect...........and forgetting any benefits of being the Owner in the first place to his business interests. If he recoups £150m it's less than £5m per year etc. etc. Let's be honest here, that level of spend to a billionaire is an expensive HOBBY. A competitive match angler on £35K per year will spend a higher proportion of their disposable............

Of course everyone is grateful for the money but the narrative that the guy has sold the family silver to follow HIS OWN ambitions to purchase the vast majority of the Bristol sporting empire is slightly misguided and hasn't been thought through.

You have put it much better than me!! It’s not as if he will be visiting a food bank anytime soon is it. For clarity, i don’t dislike SL, i do think mistakes have been made and lessons not learned (Tinnion, Millen, Holden), however Ashton was the worst mistake he made and it seems he’s lost interest since then to me.

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 3

Just now, Rob k said:

You have put it much better than me!! It’s not as if he will be visiting a good bank anytime soon is it. For clarity, i don’t dislike SL, i do think mistakes have been made and lessons not learned (Tinnion, Millen, Holden), however Ashton was the worst mistake he made and it seems he’s lost interest since then to me.

Correct. There is no DISLIKE of SL. We just have an opinion on the way he has managed "his" club as he once put it........as people who invest in "his" club we are entitled to an opinion. No different to investing in company shares and having an opinion on investment decisions in that company made by far wealthier people who took the major risk in the company with their far superior disposable income.

• Like 3

Some of this stuff is interesting. A former Chairman once said to me, Oxo, you can’t fool the supporters for long. 

However I’m not sure who is being fooled here! Those who think SL has lost interest or those who haven’t got a clue as the only things coming from the club are leaked via club employees for the consumption of the little people on here. 

In the end the proof of the pudding is the league position and the financial position and as of todays date we look ok!

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Even dumber post, and trying to make out a fellow City fan to be some kind of racist (or at least someone a "specific problem" with people from the Middle East and/or US) is beneath contempt.

There is a enormous difference between SL (who has happens to live in Guernsey but has very very strong historical links with Bristol and Bristol City) and a random overseas investor with no previous connection to us.  I don't know, but it's a pretty reasonable guess that the poster chose US and Middle East because many current/recent owners of other clubs come from those regions. 

SL has consistently shown his willingness to continue funding the club even when the likelihood of any imminent financial return is pretty close to zero.  Can we be confident that a random overseas owner who might well have no previous connection to City or the city will do the same if we don't get promoted to the Prem after a small number of years?  I certainly am not.

There is a blindingly obvious difference between SL/JL and a new owner from US/Middle East/somewhere else in the world.  But I'm sure you are already aware of that and just wanted to post something nasty.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

I suppose in a slight case for the defence.

A problem with American owners is basically the risk that they are keen on leveraged buyouts. Seems quite a popular model though it remains to be seen in respect of Birmingham.

Man United are one of the wealthiest and most prestigious clubs in the world, they can absorb.

Burnley were run impeccably for years through a mix of astute ownership, PL money, Parachutes etc. They had some £80m in Cadh Reserves at the time of takeover.

As for Middle East well there are major ethical questions but beyond that, the scope to do a Man City has vastly reduced given the League would insist on a 2 year compliant Business Plan as part of takeover. Monitor as they see fit etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

@Kid in the Riot Steve Lansdown is not a current UK citizen? When did he change his citizenship/did I miss something or do you mean not a current UK resident?

For the record below!

Although Guernsey is not part of the UK, it is part of the British Isles and there are very strong economic, cultural and social links between Guernsey and the UK. The people of Guernsey have British nationality and Guernsey participates in the Common Travel Area.

Edited by REDOXO
  • Thanks 1

I will put the question again and it isn't just about money obviously but also fresh ideas, vision, a new voice. Vs an incumbent running their course.

There is a whole thread about it with precious little answer but just how much would we want a prospective new owner to, lets face it, infrastructure is different but the first team in the here and now then medium term.

1 hour ago, red panda said:

Even dumber post, and trying to make out a fellow City fan to be some kind of racist (or at least someone a "specific problem" with people from the Middle East and/or US) is beneath contempt.

There is a enormous difference between SL (who has happens to live in Guernsey but has very very strong historical links with Bristol and Bristol City) and a random overseas investor with no previous connection to us.  I don't know, but it's a pretty reasonable guess that the poster chose US and Middle East because many current/recent owners of other clubs come from those regions. 

SL has consistently shown his willingness to continue funding the club even when the likelihood of any imminent financial return is pretty close to zero.  Can we be confident that a random overseas owner who might well have no previous connection to City or the city will do the same if we don't get promoted to the Prem after a small number of years?  I certainly am not.

There is a blindingly obvious difference between SL/JL and a new owner from US/Middle East/somewhere else in the world.  But I'm sure you are already aware of that and just wanted to post something nasty.

How on earth have you got that from what was posted? Hyperbolic much?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

It’s also very difficult to criticise and say what I’d do if i was a billionaire, however the fact is, if i was a billionaire I’d have been prepared to put in as much as SL 

The reality is that SL has invested a tiny proportion of his wealth. Tiny. 

There will be thousands of us that have invested far more as a percentage of wealth, or in most peoples case salary, than SL. 

If SL does lose the £200m+ he's invested in City (spoiler: he won't) then that's still approx £10m a year, and his wealth has grown at a far higher amount per year since 2002. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

Fair play to Uncle Steve and the money he’s put up , if I had that amount I’d seriously consider losing some of it at Ashton Gate . He hasn’t been a perfect owner , not really sure what is ?
I think the club is in a better position than when he bought it . We’ve had some good times . 
What’s all the talk about a nest egg , have I missed something?!

5 hours ago, Ego said:

Hi Jon 

For me it’s not a question of whether Landsdown is loyal and interested or not - he sees Bristol Sport as his legacy and I don’t see him losing interest in any aspect of it until that legacy is realised. 

The question for me is whether he can run a football club well, infrastructure aside he’s made mistake after mistake in a lot of the football decisions, specifically when it comes to managerial appointments or support for managers. Additionally I feel like he does have the football clubs best interests at heart but frankly I don’t think he has the fans best interests - I just can’t get over him saying it’s his club and putting his dumb son in charge.