IGNORED

Nige - BBCRB - snippet pre-Swansea

Davefevs

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

This was a pretty depressing read after a day away from it all.

On the plus side, bloody good forum this, innit? Eight pages of superb debate.

We don’t know how lucky we are to have this community.

Looks like you’ve posted this in the wrong place but I’m keen to see this great forum you’ve found?

How do we think the clubs ambition was presented to young, ambitious new signings like Knight? All these first interviews about pushing for promotion etc etc. Do we think they will feel they have been mis- sold on a project that was never going to be a goer in reality? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Preston Match day thread 

tin said:

"I fancy us to get off to a flier tomorrow. Not since beating Notts County 5-0 in a curtain-raiser 20 or so years ago have I felt so optimistic on the opening day."

It appears that 4 League games and 27 days in football is quite a long time.

Bit stalky that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, desert said:

How do we think the clubs ambition was presented to young, ambitious new signings like Knight? All these first interviews about pushing for promotion etc etc. Do we think they will feel they have been mis- sold on a project that was never going to be a goer in reality? 

Don't worry, he'll be fine.

Footballers are pragmatic. Although they will aim to maximise earnings and on field success, most of them realise that one is more easily obtained than the other. (Not that either are 'easily obtained' in its true sense.)

If club success doesn't come, but you've done well personally, you might get a move further  up the ladder in a couple of years.

And around you go.

Edited by Sleepy1968

I do think some of the comments on here are very OTT. 'Disgusted' and the like - the guy has put a ton of money into City previously, often where it wasn't even the wisest, and there could well be a plan in place, difficult as it is to envisage, and it might be for good reason. A potential sale could well be that. So I'd be willing to give them time to give us a response of sorts, which we do deserve.

Problem is, will we get that clarity? And if so, when?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And at this point the actions of the club hierarchy and owner are either one of the following:

1) Complete incompetence; or

2) Deliberate actions intended to undermine the manager

My money is definitely on the latter.

I think it's somewhere in the middle.

There have no doubt been mistakes made.

But I don't believe that they would be sat there, planning to deliberately sabotage NP. I believe the fan side of SL wants him to succeed as much as we do.

But I also believe that the businessman side of SL wouldn't for a second hesitate to a) say things politically that shift blame away from him b) quickly dispense of employees services or c) to rein in the spending, if it was in his best interests. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Personally, I think the reason for the negativity is more about the selling of Scott in the first place, rather than the lack of replacements to get excited about. It feel like a death in the family or something.

Not sure that’s it to be fair. It’s a little more than that!

I think most people were absolutely resigned to the fact that Scott was going and wished him well.  I think it’s more that we aren’t seeing anything in return for the transaction. I think people felt,rightly or wrongly with that sale, we’d at least be in a better position to attract better players (as good as they may be) from division 1. But above all it’s the lack of honesty about what and where City’s future lies. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Perhaps slightly verging into conspiracy but I keep thinking that a club with some clear headroom in FFP and a manager about to leave without a payoff is probably an appealing position to prospective buyers - they can inject money to be spent how they want, and put in the manger they want easily.

Maybe it wasn't Nige get the club together so we don't fail FFP, it was get the club together so I can sell it more easily.

I have been saying exactly this for weeks - not conspiracy theory, just logical.

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think it's somewhere in the middle.

There have no doubt been mistakes made.

But I don't believe that they would be sat there, planning to deliberately sabotage NP. I believe the fan side of SL wants him to succeed as much as we do.

But I also believe that the businessman side of SL wouldn't for a second hesitate to a) say things politically that shift blame away from him b) quickly dispense of employees services or c) to rein in the spending, if it was in his best interests. 

Agreed. And not to go against @Kid in the Riot, he's a top poster and clearly knows far more than I do so more than happy to concede if necessary. But the Lansdown's and the board sat around a table twirling their (metaphorical) moustaches waiting for NP to meltdown and quit? On what basis? Simply because they don't like him? And why the sudden change of direction?

Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see it.

• Like 1

One thing now seems clear, namely that the squad is too small and that the certainty of injuries and suspensions weren’t factored in. -  to such an extent we have brought back Thomas from a loan three, three, divisions below us.

Not the way to run a Championship football club, which allegedly is trying to make top six

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

One thing now seems clear, namely that the squad is too small and that the certainty of injuries and suspensions weren’t factored in. -  to such an extent we have brought back Thomas from a loan three, three, divisions below us.

Not the way to run a Championship football club, which allegedly is trying to make top six

2 or 3 light IMO. Even without injuries after Scott went 

The one thing I can't get me head around is that okay we are maxed out on our set wage budget and I kind of understand why they wouldn't want to use part of the 25 million to increase the wage budget.

However, why can't we use some of the 25 million to sign a few loan players? 

If Wells or a cb got injured we will be in a crisis again. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

I think I am paraphrasing NP right when he spelt out we have right now a squad of 20 fit players. 3 of those are goalies, leaving 17. Three of those 17 are completely unproven at this level including a 17 year old.

That is it. Four longer term injuries are maybe a tad unlucky but not unheard of. Hardly being given a fair crack of the whip, allowing for the recent income in.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

The BCFC soap opera continues and OTIB laps it uP

Pearson: “I can’t answer that”

DUM, DUM, DUM, DUM, DUM, DUM, DUM, DUM

IMG_3664.jpeg

That last time we had a cliffhanger like this was SODs “Stupid question” moment.

Someone more talented than me could probably probably merge the two together maybe to a dance beat. We could have a hit on our hands “Stupid question…. I can’t answer that!!!”

• Haha 2

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2 or 3 light IMO. Even without injuries after Scott went 

Careful there Mr P, you’ll have people saying we can’t have a 45 man squad again. I would like to be able to name a full side 6 games into the season though. 5 injuries and we find ourselves 2 short. What was the most concurrent injuries we had in 22/23?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Careful there Mr P, you’ll have people saying we can’t have a 45 man squad again. I would like to be able to name a full side 6 games into the season though. 5 injuries and we find ourselves 2 short. What was the most concurrent injuries we had in 22/23?

Ha yes. We just look so thin don't we..Leeson, Araoye, Knight-Lebel should be learning their trade in the academy or on loan. As should the player recalled today. Perhaps an exception for Yeboah.

Towards the end of the season we were running light. 6 or 7? I remember King and Taylor-Clarke featuring in midfield, Pring at CB etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha yes. We just look so thin don't we..Leeson, Araoye, Knight-Lebel should be learning their trade in the academy or on loan. As should the player recalled today. Perhaps an exception for Yeboah.

Towards the end of the season we were running light. 6 or 7? I remmeber King and Taylor-Clarke featuring in midfield.

I’m sure @Davefevswill have the numbers ?

• Like 1

‘Building up a nest egg for the longer term’ sounds suspiciously like ‘I’m confident NP will keep us up this season, allowing me to indulge my preferred successor next season’. I don’t think this is an entirely terrible strategy, actually, but for the likelihood that it will all go arse up, leaving us having to spend everything over the next 5 years in League 1 trying to get back to where we are today.

• Like 2