IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

Possibly. But if Blackpool coped with them, you would hope we could have. Moot now. But thought he looked great. 

But this season is his second loan….the price goes up!!! ???

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Anyone happen to know his goals to chances ratio...................Davefevs?   I would guess 1 to 10?

Today’s data not in yet.

IMG_8579.thumb.jpeg.336ff0f59f3a1a4f1ed1dfaa4822f0b2.jpeg

IMG_8580.jpeg.26df84e5da6fee528273f303bf8cdbd0.jpeg

For me, and it’s always been the case, his game is more than just goalscoring, even back in his Bradford days.

I’m enjoying watching him at the mo’, 33 playing like he’s 23.

He’ll get his 12(ish)if he stays fit.

• Like 1

BBC Report

city recovered from a goal down to win convincingly at Swansea City and leave the home side still searching for their first Championship victory of the season.

Despite being completely outplayed in the first half, the Swans led as Liam Cullen finished neatly after Charlie Patino's excellent through ball.

After having three goals disallowed and missing a host of chances, Bristol City eventually equalised early in the second half as Mark Sykes cut in from the right and fired in.

Sykes then set up Sam Bell with a pinpoint low cross to put the visitors ahead and, although Ben Cabango headed against a post, the Swans were well beaten.

The margin of victory did not reflect the gulf in class between the sides, with Swansea rarely troubling their opponents.

Whereas Swans head coach Michael Duff will be disheartened as his side remains winless in the league since he took the reins this summer, Bristol City boss Nigel Pearson can take great encouragement from his side's performance at the Swansea.com Stadium.

They were dominant from the start - Sykes having a goal disallowed for offside and Jason Knight heading wide from a corner - but they fell behind in the 10th minute, against the run of play.

Swansea's goal was beautifully crafted, as Arsenal loanee Patino picked up possession near the halfway line and threaded a perfectly-weighted through ball to Cullen, who calmly finished low to his left.

The goal did not stem the flow of pressure from the visitors, who squandered two fine opportunities when Nakhi Wells shot straight at Swans keeper Carl Rushworth from close range before Knight saw a low goal-bound effort blocked on the line by Matt Grimes.

Bell then had a goal chalked off for offside and Knight had another disallowed for a push as the increasingly porous Swansea somehow held on to their lead at half-time.

Bristol City's fans were furious about the disallowed goals, booing referee Oliver Langford off the pitch at the interval, but their team's dominance eventually yielded the returns it warranted.

Swansea switched formation at half-time from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 in an attempt to contain their rampant opponents, but the hosts were still wide open.

For the equaliser, Joe Williams switched play with a long ball to the right, where Sykes cut inside on to his left foot and finished smartly in the far corner.

Eleven minutes later, Sykes drilled a low cross to the back post where Bell fired in to give Bristol City an overdue lead.

Swansea looked overwhelmed and, after a raft of substitutions, they opted for a more direct approach with Cabango heading against the post and Harry Darling having a header saved.

Those were rare attacks, though, and Bristol City continued to look threatening whenever they pushed forward. They could not add to their advantage, but this was a thoroughly deserved second Championship win of the season for the Robins.

Swansea head coach Michael Duff:

"I thought we were poor. I thought we were slow, we were pedestrian, with and without the ball, and we didn't do the basics well enough.

"We started the game well on the front foot, went 1-0 up but then went passive. We gave two poor goals away.

"It's a difficult game if you don't do the basics properly. We didn't get on the front foot at all, we weren't aggressive enough.

"It happened in the last couple of years, it's happened with us [new coaching staff] so we need to address it."

Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson:

"We created a lot of chances and we have done in our away games so far. The goal we conceded was a sloppy one from our perspective, but Swansea didn't create too many chances in that first half.

"There were a lot of decisions which didn't go our way. It's the bane of my life, the inconsistencies for everybody is so frustrating.

"What we talked about is, if we could keep our composure, we knew that we'd continue to create opportunities. Let's use the frustration of it to perform. I think that's the big thing.

"There's no good me being in there ranting and raving because there's nothing to rant about, apart from maybe the guy out in the middle. I bit my lip. It hurts a bit now.

"But I'm just pleased that our players got a reward for their performance and it's really great to see them engaging with our fans who gave us fantastic support today."

•  
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Totally, he’s technically very good.  And not waiting for a senior player to do it, he’s on it.  And his delivery is in the right areas almost everytime.

Apart from the first pass across our back four which was badly directed, I thought that he tried to play the ball forward and sideways with very few going backwards. That, IMO, is a weakness for Tanner that is probably a lack of confidence rather than not having the ability.

Maybe both can help each other to improve.

Overall today, a good team performance to continue as unbeaten away from home. Now the squad have to make a big effort to get wins at home.

Spoke to a couple of City analysts on the way back and their view on crucial decisions were as follows:

2 disallowed goals for offside were correct

Disallowed goal by Knight should have stood

Yellow card correct decision as man on cover

Sykes - should have been a penalty for push in back

Naismith handball - should have been a pen

What a performance & some awayday & the lift we all needed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

First half reflections

The good

We have created a handful of excellent scoring opportunities, and really should’ve converted at least one of them Knight and Wells in particular should’ve scored

Bell and Sykes both look very threatening

If it was a boxing match, we would be well ahead on points

The bad

Lapses in concentration, sloppy moments and indecision, particularly by Pring, Gardner-Hickman, and Naismith

Their goal resulted from us, losing the ball in the middle of the pitch far too cheaply

The ugly

Naismith getting booked for dissent when only moments earlier, the ref booked a Swansea player for what was at least an orange card and possibly a red

Having three goals disallowed. I particularly would like to see the effort from Bell again that looked marginal

The hope

We continue to play on the front foot, create chances and convert a number of them in this half without losing our heads

Matty James’s fit enough to come out for the second half

This game is there for us to win if we carry-on in a similar way take some chances and cut out the sloppy errors.

Well deserved away win, even though we invited them onto us too much for my nerves for the final 30 minutes! 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Spoke to a couple of City analysts on the way back and their view on crucial decisions were as follows:

Was a blatant push.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Interesting , shows how we see things differently.
I'd say ...

2 disallowed goals for offside were correct First probably right, haven't seen Bell's again to say.

Disallowed goal by Knight should have stood.  I thought it was an easy one to give, push in the back, even if the defender makes the most of it.

Yellow card correct decision as man on cover. to say. For my money , Wells at full pace is running to the centre of goal and the cover is still well wide.

Sykes - should have been a penalty for push in back   Another I would like to see again, but initially thought it wasn't.

Naismith handball - should have been a pen Yes, probably

Edited by 1960maaan
3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Interesting , shows how we see things differently.
I'd say ...

2 disallowed goals for offside were correct First probably right, haven't seen Bell's again to say.

Disallowed goal by Knight should have stood.  I thought it was an easy one to give, push in the back, even if the defender makes the most of it.

Yellow card correct decision as man on cover. to say. For my money , Wells at full pace is running to the centre of goal and the cover is still well wide.

Sykes - should have been a penalty for push in back   Another I would like to see again, but initially thought it wasn't.

Basically, the ref didn’t get much wrong!!!!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

Basically, the ref didn’t get much wrong!!!!

Oh, he got loads wrong. Specially the yellow when Wells was through. I think that was when Sykes was kicked and that should have been a card but was ignored. As I said I want to see a few again. He seemed keen to wave our Pen appeal away, gave almost every challenge as a FK to them ( only a slit exaggeration ) , waved several of their dodgy challenges away , I thought their 2 (Key) could have been booked a couple of times.
So in summation I thought he was shit .

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Oh, he got loads wrong. Specially the yellow when Wells was through. I think that was when Sykes was kicked and that should have been a card but was ignored. As I said I want to see a few again. He seemed keen to wave our Pen appeal away, gave almost every challenge as a FK to them ( only a slit exaggeration ) , waved several of their dodgy challenges away , I thought their 2 (Key) could have been booked a couple of times.

He was terrible for us - even Swans fans said so.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

But this season is his second loan….the price goes up!!! ???

Today’s data not in yet.

IMG_8579.thumb.jpeg.336ff0f59f3a1a4f1ed1dfaa4822f0b2.jpeg

IMG_8580.jpeg.26df84e5da6fee528273f303bf8cdbd0.jpeg

For me, and it’s always been the case, his game is more than just goalscoring, even back in his Bradford days.

I’m enjoying watching him at the mo’, 33 playing like he’s 23.

He’ll get his 12(ish)if he stays fit.

You  are of course spot on as usual, and indeed his game is so much more than putting leather in the onion bag.  I like him, but he does have a habit of missing solid chances?  I would love to see him in tandem with Tommy as a front two again?

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

To add a bit of balance  they could of had a pen with 10 mins to go for hand ball

4 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

To add a bit of balance  they could of had a pen with 10 mins to go for hand ball

I did say that in my original post. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Naismith handball - should have been a pen Yes, probably

Just shows the Ref was more incompetent than biased , but it adds up to the same thing.

• Like 1

2 away days done this season and 2 wins. Today we were in control for the majority of the game. That spell between 45th minute and 70th minute was some of the most enjoyable football i've seen for quite some time for City.

Sykes was Scott Murray-esque today and it was the best i've seen Bell in a City shirt and has silenced my own criticisms of his performances so far this season. I also thought Matty James had a fantastic game in Midfield today. Everything came through him and we bossed the Midfield.

A well deserved and enjoyable 3 points.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, ROSEBUD RED said:

We played very well, pressed very well and Swansea struggled to cope, but they are in for a long season based on today.

Yeah I'm delighted with the win and think it's a timely reminder that we can attack teams both out wide and through the middle.

I'm a little reluctant to get too euphoric about beating Swansea though. They looked like a team really struggling for confidence and form, and City are going to have to beat much better teams than that to stay in the top 8. West Brom will be a really good test. They're beatable, but have more quality than Swansea.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah I'm delighted with the win and think it's a timely reminder that we can attack teams both out wide and through the middle.

I'm a little reluctant to get too euphoric about beating Swansea though. They looked like a team really struggling for confidence and form, and City are going to have to beat much better teams than that to stay in the top 8. West Brom will be a really good test. They're beatable, but have more quality than Swansea.

Given the background context of the proceeding few years though, it’s great to be able to be in a position to say “we should be beating these”, and not just a club that’s just come up.