IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Truly incredible win.  Amazing team spirit after such an emotional week for fans. 

Pearson isn’t a dinosaur, Naismith isn’t only a midfielder, Cornick is better centrally, Knight isn’t only a league one player, Bell doesn’t need a league one loan. As you were. 

Absolutely ******* brilliant win!!!!

Knight has been very good in the away games. Seemed to be playing with his back to goal too much at home . It’ll come . Very good player we have there. 

• Like 2
  • Admin

I’m actually more confident against West Brom than I was for the Preston and Brum games.

I know Nigel is trying to evolve us to a possession based game and we have got better at that but we still look at our best when given the opportunity to counter teams. I fully expect West Brom with their big club attitude to want to hold on to the ball and that could play into our hands.

• Like 8

Loved it! We needed that, didn't we?!

Two teams clearly low on confidence, as demonstrated by the jittery defending and tentative finishing.

But our boys bossed the middle of the park and...finally... caused all sorts of problems from wide areas.

I thought Knight and Bell were brilliant, but Sykes MOTM and showing why he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet. 

I've been saying in the last few days that a win at Swansea would put using a good position in the league and now we get to enjoy that for a fortnight.

Shame as ever that a win is used on the forum as ammunition to attack the naysayers, but hey, immature culture wars are what social media is all about. The fact that we're all on OTIB is proof that we need to all get a life!

Well done City!

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Sykes probably MotM . Two great finishes , the one that counted was a great piece of coolness. Worked tirelessly and caused them problems all day while keeping the right side solid.

Williams close though. Ball winner , covered every blade and his touch and energy getting us on the front foot was brilliant. 

The whole team were good , just wish we could put games to bed early. Created plenty , which is good, just need to finish better.

All round good day , unless you're the Ref and have to explain your decisions to someone who knows the Laws.

It's a good day when you can genuinely make a case for three or four players being the MOM.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Loved it! We needed that, didn't we?!

Two teams clearly low on confidence, as demonstrated by the jittery defending and tentative finishing.

But our boys bossed the middle of the park and...finally... caused all sorts of problems from wide areas.

I thought Knight and Bell were brilliant, but Sykes MOTM and showing why he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet. 

I've been saying in the last few days that a win at Swansea would put using a good position in the league and now we get to enjoy that for a fortnight.

Shame as ever that a win is used on the forum as ammunition to attack the naysayers, but hey, immature culture wars are what social media is all about. The fact that we're all on OTIB is proof that we need to all get a life!

Well done City!

I did not see ANY lack of confidence from our lads. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

So, I've been wondering how much worse it'll get when VAR comes in. Unless they magic up some competent officials from somewhere. Do you fancy this ref doing the VAR? Jesus, I'd rather see Bonnie Langford doing it.

She's not tall enough to see the screen.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I did not see ANY lack of confidence from our lads. Quite the opposite in fact.

I thought there was some shaky defending? Vyner twice gave the ball away passing from the back, so did TGH, O'Leary came half way for a cross and then hesitated as the ball glhit the post, Naismith's odd hand ball in the box, a couple of times we struggled to clear our lines, and of course the goal, which was way too easy. Then at the other end, in the first half, we were unconvincing with our shooting. Swansea were the same, wayward shots and a lot of jittery clearances and passing into trouble.

There was good stuff too, but I don't think either side went into the game full of belief. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought there was some shaky defending? Vyner twice gave the ball away passing from the back, so did TGH, O'Leary came half way for a cross and then hesitated as the ball glhit the post, Naismith's odd hand ball in the box, a couple of times we struggled to clear our lines, and of course the goal, which was way too easy. Then at the other end, in the first half, we were unconvincing with our shooting. Swansea were the same, wayward shots and a lot of jittery clearances and passing into trouble.

There was good stuff too, but I don't think either side went into the game full of belief. 

Disagree.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, pj76 said:

TGH did seem to offer a much better ball at corners than we've had recently. Not that this is Tanner's thing. 

Not sure imo . James & naismith put in decent set pieces. Very early days obviously . He just didn’t look a natural defender to me . I’d like to see him in midfield but not at the expense of the three in there now. He’ll get his chance , it’s a long season . 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Bore off with this again.. we've literally just won.

Yes, but you need to see the wider picture.

Nothing has changed squad wise - no back up goalie, no goal scoring striker, weak at right back, and a dominating centre half required., not enough depth.

Agree today’s result is a great one

• Confused 1

So far this season seems as if we’re reasonably consistent and as a result… inconsistent. Solid to very good performances away from home, struggling to break teams down at home. Somewhat out of kilter with the Championship overall, 23 home wins, 16 away wins so far, albeit early days.

Whether it’s our set up/core abilities of our players vs how others tend to set up home vs away (or just that we’ve played 2 decent teams at home), not sure, but feels like plenty to be excited by, whilst also lots still to work on.

Based on today, need to get Joe W signed up asap.  

One thing that’s a real positive imo is how comfortable we looked.

Today reminded me a lot of the 3-2 loss away to Coventry a couple seasons ago. They were behind the majority of the game but always looked so composed and it felt like they just knew they were going to win it. 

Didn’t rush chances, or try to shoehorn it into the box. We were confident in our ability to create chances throughout and I think that shone through with the goals. Brilliant performance. 

Past two games have looked a lot more like a Nigel Pearson type of side then ever. And I rather like that.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not sure imo . James & naismith put in decent set pieces. Very early days obviously . He just didn’t look a natural defender to me . I’d like to see him in midfield but not at the expense of the three in there now. He’ll get his chance , it’s a long season . 

Agree on James and Kal. I guess I'm a bit scarred by Mehmeti's flat, skiddy, wasteful deliveries midweek.