IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

Can’t we save all the posts about wage budgets, Lansdown, lack of spending of the Scott money for the multitude of other threads on those topics? This thread should surely be about today’s excellent performance from the players who are actually here. I was only able to listen to the commentary today, but even from that it sounded like one of our most dominant performances at this level for years. Interested to know if those watching today agree. 

• Like 16
1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

One defeat in five. 

Maybe we aren't absolutely awful, and in need of 100 new signings, after all...

Bit OTT. No one wanted millions spent . Most of us wanted a couple of players to supplement what we’ve got. We’ve made 5 good signings adding to the January recruitments . We’re light on numbers though . No one said we were awful either 

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The negativity was bought about by the concern over the depth:quality  of our squad and the astonishing statement by the club that we are ‘ maxed out ‘ on our wage budget, neither of these things have gone away despite a super performance in South Wales. 
The effort and energy put in today is even more creditable from the players and supporters alike considering. 
Confidence is very fragile thing and the events of the past week have largely asked questions of where the club are heading. 
No need to castigate fellow supporters who love the club as much as you do and expressed their, not illegitimate, concerns on various platforms. 

There's absolutely every need all they ever do is moan whinge slag off the manager the players the owner who has bankrolled the club for years. Even when the team plays well and wins it's always "yeah we won but". And what are you on about the events of the past week so we didn't add to the 5 players signed this transfer window so what it leaves the club with a good squad of players some actually more than good.And if the club did sign an additional 4  players or so  in the last week you can guarantee that in about 6 weeks at least half of them will be deemed a load of crap league 1 standard and those people will want another half a dozen brought in  during January or it wll be "the club has no ambition" rinse and repeat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Can’t we save all the posts about wage budgets, Lansdown, lack of spending of the Scott money for the multitude of other threads on those topics? This thread should surely be about today’s excellent performance from the players who are actually here. I was only able to listen to the commentary today, but even from that it sounded like one of our most dominant performances at this level for years. Interested to know if those watching today agree. 

We were excellent IMO. Few mistakes, but the press was excellent to watch especially when it works. Then when we did turned them we were rapid. Such a good side away from home. Also the work rate from the players was relentless. Great away day 

• Thanks 1

Made me chuckle - quote from Nige. 

"There were a lot of decisions which didn't go our way. It's the bane of my life, the inconsistencies for everybody is so frustrating.

"What we talked about is, if we could keep our composure, we knew that we'd continue to create opportunities. Let's use the frustration of it to perform. I think that's the big thing.

"There's no good me being in there ranting and raving because there's nothing to rant about, apart from maybe the guy out in the middle. I bit my lip. It hurts a bit now.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Sykes probably MotM . Two great finishes , the one that counted was a great piece of coolness. Worked tirelessly and caused them problems all day while keeping the right side solid.

Williams close though. Ball winner , covered every blade and his touch and energy getting us on the front foot was brilliant. 

The whole team were good , just wish we could put games to bed early. Created plenty , which is good, just need to finish better.

All round good day , unless you're the Ref and have to explain your decisions to someone who knows the Laws.

Belly’s finish was not easy, on the bounce, ball at pace.  Not dissimilar to Preston.  This time left foot.

I thought Belly was really good once he stopped trying to run beyond Ashby as soon as we got the ball.  Naismith / Pring, need him to come short…then…run in behind.  After that he was splendid.  Linked well with Wells first half. They got close to each other, and Sykes came narrow.  Ditto when the ball went down our right.

Nice!!!

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Going forward at home but neither has Pring . I’m not judging Hickman at all , he’s only been here 5 minutes  , but I was glad when he went off . Tanner is a natural defender . 

TGH started with a right mixed bag, summed up in the two opening actions.  Cross field ball intercepted.  Cool header back to O’Leary seconds later.

That kinda stuff happened a fair bit to him, excellent one minute, dodgy the next.

But overall he contributed to our performance, his ability on the ball, to control and move it where he wants his next action to go buys him those split seconds.

He’s still getting up to speed.  Saw enough there to be hugely encouraged.

Subbed at the right time…Tanner solid when he came on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Her overreactions to almost everything on twitter are a sight to behold at times.

The best bit is that, it you read through the thread, she wasn't at the game and wasn't following it, but her mate in the away end said the fans were angry at half time which she assumed was being aimed at the team whereas it was actually at the referee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, HoldenBall said:

Not sure if mentioned by others but we made so many forward passes today, passes that hurt Swansea and got us in goal scoring positions. Really need to keep that up in home games where we are going to have more time in the ball. 

Those two early crisp passes from Williams through their defence set the tone.

58 minutes ago, Hxj said:

We will always differ on this.  It's a business, it needs to make money.

I work for a company owned by a billionaire, aka "The Boss"  The customers pay us for a service and we are required to make a cashflow contribution to the center and not lose money.  

Coincidentally I spent Thursday morning in a meeting discussing my 2024 Business Plan (an excellent one I thought) and my request to add two staff to the team.  If I'd gone in and said 'The Boss' will pay I would have been laughed out of the room.

My plan showed exactly who was going to pay - the customers, eventually.  We are increasing prices for the work we do, and the additional staff members will enable us to have more customers.  If any customer wants a special project those fees are increasing significantly.  Now we just need to deliver.

Alex Scott paid ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

TGH started with a right mixed bag, summed up in the two opening actions.  Cross field ball intercepted.  Cool header back to O’Leary seconds later.

That kinda stuff happened a fair bit to him, excellent one minute, dodgy the next.

But overall he contributed to our performance, his ability on the ball, to control and move it where he wants his next action to go buys him those split seconds.

He’s still getting up to speed.  Saw enough there to be hugely encouraged.

Subbed at the right time…Tanner solid when he came on.

I actually think despite his mixed bag the one thing he did was provided us with quality passes on set pieces, we may not have scored from a corner today but we had a fair few chances from his crossing, something we've been very hit and miss on recently.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I actually think despite his mixed bag the one thing he did was provided us with quality passes on set pieces, we may not have scored from a corner today but we had a fair few chances from his crossing, something we've been very hit and miss on recently.

Totally, he’s technically very good.  And not waiting for a senior player to do it, he’s on it.  And his delivery is in the right areas almost everytime.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally, he’s technically very good.  And not waiting for a senior player to do it, he’s on it.  And his delivery is in the right areas almost everytime.

He’s not a right back  on that showing though Dave. He was too easily pushed past imo. Early days obviously & not judging him at all . Would be good to see him in midfield at some point .

just read your reply to me earlier . Fair points 

Edited by steviestevieneville
3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Cornick was excellent.

Chased everything, pestered their centre backs & won a smart foul.

Ideal bloke to bring on when Nakhi is flagging.

Nakhi usually looks royally pissed off when he’s subbed. Today I thought he looked so knackered he couldn’t care! He ran and ran today, great part of our win. And yes Cornick was brilliant. 
(As long as you forget that missed opportunity which reminded me momentarily of Bas Savage’s famous stumble!)

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Always easy to predict after the event, though I did qualify the statement based upon what we have seen to date.

Nice to see such a spirited performance though and hope that we are able to build on it after the international break.

A lot of decent individual performances today too and I can't think of a single player who didn't have a good game.

Funny how football can change from week to week and great to see us back in the top half of the table.

It's a little bipolar following us atm isn't it!

Draw v Preston, bit of doom and gloom then Scott sold AND Conway injured. Downbeat.

Yet then a 5-1 thrashing of Oxford followed by a last gasp winner at Millwall! On the up..bit of a windfall film Scott too.

Birmingham at home, let down.

The McCrorie rumours begin, downbeat.

Pring new deal- good!

Draw at a decent Hull side in whichwe may well have won- on the up! Tempered by Weimann getting imnjrrd again after one minute.

Bad news about McCrorie confirmed but NP first loan. Mix.

Norwich at home, major low!

No money to spend, massively downbeat.

Vyner contract confirmed then the win at Swansea!

That is just in the first month- draining. ?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Had to watch online today, in between getting to my game and getting ready. Missed their goal but what I saw in spells after looked like it was all us. 2 disallowed and one cleared off the line. I was watching via swanseas stream too and they were saying how good we were.

Very pleased to read that it was a good performance!

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Yes, we played well, the team was unit. Fast legs and good passes. Everyone did their job and more.