IGNORED

Swansea City away match thread

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

I've mentioned in other posts that City appear to be trapped in a fifty year cycle. 1972-73 City won eight away games before their first home win.

From memory, John Galley scored in a 1-0 win over Sunderland for our first home win that season in December. Slid in at the back post at the Open End. I can still recall the relief. 

NB - just checked it. It was 25 November. 

Edited by firstdivision
4 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

From memory, John Galley scored in a 1-0 win over Sunderland for our first home win that season in December. Slid in at the back post at the Open End. I can still recall the relief. 

NB - just checked it. It was 25 November. 

And this season City are home on 25th November to another North east team; Middlesbrough.

21 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

One defeat in five. 

Maybe we aren't absolutely awful, and in need of 100 new signings, after all...

Straw man argument since nobody is saying any such thing. Many of us agree with Nigel though that we are short of players in a couple of areas. A fraction of the Scott money would have fixed that.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
32 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

One defeat in five. 

Maybe we aren't absolutely awful, and in need of 100 new signings, after all...

As others have said, I don’t think most posters were ever claiming we were terrible - just that not spending any of the Scott money at all feels like a missed opportunity.

Certainly worth noting though that, at time of writing, the teams we haven’t beaten sit first, third and fifth in the table.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

Something different about this week was there to justify all the doom and gloom negative *****? at the start of the week City had a good squad  of players at the end of the week City  have a good squad of players. played 5 league games 1 defeat  but if you read this forum you would think it was played 5 lost 5 conceded 50 goals  absolute tossers.

The negativity was bought about by the concern over the depth:quality  of our squad and the astonishing statement by the club that we are ‘ maxed out ‘ on our wage budget, neither of these things have gone away despite a super performance in South Wales. 
The effort and energy put in today is even more creditable from the players and supporters alike considering. 
Confidence is very fragile thing and the events of the past week have largely asked questions of where the club are heading. 
No need to castigate fellow supporters who love the club as much as you do and expressed their, not illegitimate, concerns on various platforms. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

the astonishing statement by the club that we are ‘ maxed out ‘ on our wage budget

So how much more do you think that the wage budget should be increased by, who will that enable the club to acquire, and what proportion are you paying?

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, TheReds said:

Close prediction.

Always easy to predict after the event, though I did qualify the statement based upon what we have seen to date.

Nice to see such a spirited performance though and hope that we are able to build on it after the international break.

A lot of decent individual performances today too and I can't think of a single player who didn't have a good game.

Funny how football can change from week to week and great to see us back in the top half of the table.

10 minutes ago, Hxj said:

So how much more do you think that the wage budget should be increased by, who will that enable the club to acquire, and what proportion are you paying?

This continuous retort from you and a couple of others of ‘what proportion are you paying’ is just crazy.   We ALL put in in our own ways - some more than others sure - but lots of people are probably putting in more percentage wise than our billionaire owner does.   And lots will be here paying in long after he and his son goes as well.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
29 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Aside from towsing the Gash, no better feeling than trotting over to the wrong side of the Bridge and coming away with a comprehensive victory, be it against Swampsea or the Blueturds.

Some Swindon mug on FB was trying to tell me our fans booed the players off at HT. ?

Well the boos were very audible on the radio, but I presumed they were for the Officials.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh come on!  If we are so much the better side then we should score.  No good playing good football and failing to score - that is the whole point of the game.

I don’t disagree. And I don’t think I suggested otherwise, did I?

I was trying to make two points: the first of which was to agree with you! That he’d got the three ‘big’ decisions right. (And I’m not convinced the foul on Wells was a red either, cynical though it was).

But the second point was the one @Davefevs subsequently made too, which is that he got a whole load of other decisions wrong. It might not have been the reason we were behind, but he still had a bad half and made decisions that were hopelessly inconsistent. Did you seriously think he had a good half? 

• Flames 1

Strong league on paper but so many sides finding their feet with a bunch of new players. Quite a few that have overhauled their squads. The market returning somewhat back to regularity has encouraged a few clubs to happy shop. And obviously relegated/promoted clubs are never the most stable. It’s going to take time for them to figure out what can generate a sustained period of form and what can’t. The core of our side being together for a while now could be very beneficial for consistency. Most already know their roles and the system like the backs of their hand.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Hxj said:

As I have previously written, it seems strange that having got rid of the big Ashton contracts , reducing the size of the squad, signing older players on reduced contracts, having a squad that is packed with talented but inexperienced academy lads on their first contracts we are being told that Uncle Steve has called a halt on further signings due to the wage budget.

I wonder how much a Championship club needs to spend to remain in the division and ,if after all the cuts, we can’t generate that amount with the gates , marketing etc then what is going on? 
We are not a Rotherham punching above our weight. 
I applaud the stance by SL of trying to make the club sustainable, I lived through the dark days, but we are on a tightrope with numbers of players available and I am concerned that he may be gambling with our season. 
In reply to your facetious question , I have spent a good part of my income on this club since my childhood. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
13 minutes ago, lenred said:

This continuous retort from you and a couple of others of ‘what proportion are you paying’ is just crazy.

We will always differ on this.  It's a business, it needs to make money.

I work for a company owned by a billionaire, aka "The Boss"  The customers pay us for a service and we are required to make a cashflow contribution to the center and not lose money.  

Coincidentally I spent Thursday morning in a meeting discussing my 2024 Business Plan (an excellent one I thought) and my request to add two staff to the team.  If I'd gone in and said 'The Boss' will pay I would have been laughed out of the room.

My plan showed exactly who was going to pay - the customers, eventually.  We are increasing prices for the work we do, and the additional staff members will enable us to have more customers.  If any customer wants a special project those fees are increasing significantly.  Now we just need to deliver.

51 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just got back. What can I say, absolutely brilliant day. Grit and determination from city plus some excellent football. Sykes, Williams, outstanding amongst others.

Oh and what a *** the ref was

Get in

Thought the ref was ok tbh. Was a push for the disallowed goal, and he could've given a pen against Naismith I think it was for a handball second half.