IGNORED

What's with the gimp mask look?...

spudski

What are the defining elements of the "Casuals" culture that's being discussed here? What are the ideas, beliefs, arts, language, traditions, or other defining elements that mark out this "culture" (presumably it's truly a sub-culture of a sub-culture in reality) from broader society?

Genuine question, I'm not knowledgeable about this, and don't know the answer, and I'm not trying to judge anyone for anything at all.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you read John Lydon's autobiographies, it's clear there was a massive overlap between blokes who knew who attended north London/Essex discos in the mid-70s and wore expensive - back then usually pastel-shaded - clothes, and guys who got involved in bother at football*. These "soul-boys" were often known as casuals at the time, due to the "smart casual" attire they wore out for the night, as opposed to bell-bottom jeans/t-shirt uniform of most club-goers back then. 

Seems to me this is where the term 'casual' first came from, and why it tended to get attached to a football sub-culture. It was, at the start, just a fashion thing.

* John "Rambo" Stevens who provided Sex Pistols security was one. Never really liked punk music, a well-known 'face' on Highbury's North Bank. 

I should have made that reference. That is where the term Casual comes from and it became the umbrella term for a culture and groups within it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

What are the defining elements of the "Casuals" culture that's being discussed here? What are the ideas, beliefs, arts, language, traditions, or other defining elements that mark out this "culture" (presumably it's truly a sub-culture of a sub-culture in reality) from broader society?

Genuine question, I'm not knowledgeable about this, and don't know the answer, and I'm not trying to judge anyone for anything at all.

For my young self the defining elements were camaraderie and fashion. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, spudski said:

Cmon Philly... whilst you're correct people shouldn't judge others on what they wear, the context here is totally different. 

The ' look' they've gone for, especially with faces covered so not to be recognised ( there's a reason for that, and it's not because they are covered in acne) is to associate themselves with a football culture that's related to enjoying a bit of a ruck. 

It distinguishes them away from the ' normal ' fan and ' shirters'. 

' Getting the badge in'...kid on right...it all points to a culture. 

It's been the same as others have implied over the years. A culture that wore certain clothing at football matches to distinguish themselves. 

And their were some proper clown looks during the 70s as has been mentioned. 

Whilst this imo isn't about a fascist thing...it's definitely a look and trend being copied from the ' Ultras' abroad. 

A bunch of kids following a football trend, that so many have done in the past, that will eventually grow up and see how silly it all is...' but was fun at the time'. 

So many have been there before and voice experience. 

Whilst I concur that nobody should be judged on how they dress, I agree with this post in that if you think those in the photo are not trying to represent a more dare say hooligan look then you are burying your heads in the sand.

Never been into it and I hold no interest in this part of British football culture (and that of many other countries), it is something that is part of the game that we all love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/09/2023 at 12:56, Nogbad the Bad said:

I guess they're teenagers and most of us might now admit to dressing up and looking a bit ridiculous going to City matches with our mates in our youth.

In those days it was long hair, denim jacket and silk scarves tied round the wrists for me, and skinhead cuts with white butchers coats for many others  - no doubt 1 or 2 of them on here who would think of themselves as respectable pensioners now.

This lot look like they were just having a laugh posing for a photo and no doubt changed out of that stuff long before they got to the ground - in the 70's we didn't!

I use to wear dungereees and a mohair jumper , then onto the parka and two tone trousers , then all the fila gear etc etc now it’s anything that keeps me warm and dry ??

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So, they'll say. I think adidas  - in the very early 70s, not widely available in provincial Britain - was their favoured look in the early days. Man Ut fans claim to be the first casuals, and back then they adopted Fred Perry as a look.

Talk to Rangers/Celtic/Hibs/Hearts fans they'll claim that the term 'casual' was coined up there.

One thing's for sure, as you say, the culture originated in the UK and was exported. 

Didn’t the work shy always the victims anti anything to do with the establishment scousers rob half of Europe to get the casual scene moving 

2 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

People moan about the lack of atmosphere, then moan at lads who are likely to create said atmosphere.

What has a gimp mask and black clothes got to do with atmosphere?  If you want atmosphere just call on Russ Abbot 

Just now, Wedontplayinblue said:

How many people are saying Ashton gate has a poor atmosphere and isn’t hostile,

Where do people expect the hostility to come from?

From fans, in unison, making a large sound? Not a few kids shouting “f you”, “yeah, after yeah, I see you, after” across the stand 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I remember watching this Casuals documentary and how it all started a few years back. 

Found it again. Worth watching if you are interested. 

Does work...takes a few seconds to load and volume comes on. 

https://vk.com/video8072995_456239021

It's because it's coming from mother Russia.