IGNORED

Coventry forum

22A

57 minutes ago, Phil White said:

How about Sykes as RB & TGH to give some creativity in midfield would be my only variation to the consensus of most of those above (based on worst case scenario) ?

Not the worst idea in the world. Coventry play a 352 so I'd fancy Sykes to get the better of Dasilva. 

I think TGH will be needed more in the middle for this game imo. 

• Like 1

Hopefully Kal will have come through todays session in which case the back 4 would pick itself. He has trained and wouldn’t have done if it was really bad, which gives me hope.

If Knight is ill then I would be inclined to think that he is the more likely of the 2 to miss out. 

I wonder if Nige may play TC in the 10 behind Cornick? 

33 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Hopefully Kal will have come through todays session in which case the back 4 would pick itself. He has trained and wouldn’t have done if it was really bad, which gives me hope.

If Knight is ill then I would be inclined to think that he is the more likely of the 2 to miss out. 

I wonder if Nige may play TC in the 10 behind Cornick? 

I'd play Sykes at rb and Cornick on the right. Dasilva will struggle with the overload. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Phil White said:

How about Sykes as RB & TGH to give some creativity in midfield would be my only variation to the consensus of most of those above (based on worst case scenario) ?

Mmmmmm interesting. Could work well but could see it going wrong. What are Coventry's attacking options on that side of midfield and wide attack ?

21 minutes ago, Selred said:

I’d argue Sykes gives more creativity than TGH. 

Well it’s all about opinions & I like Sykes although  he often doesn’t support the full back but does offer more in an attacking role. As for creativity’s I can’t see how he is anywhere near the level of TGH in terms of his passing range or dead ball delivery… as I say just my opinion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Most telling thing in that pre match, is it sounds very much like there’s going to be no contract decision for Nige until the end of the season at best. 

“up to the club to decide, but would suggest all the hard work that’s been put in shows that we’re starting to go in the right direction”

Baffling decision. 

I would be tempted to put Cornick in at centre back. He's not slow, but he's a big lad, rather solid with the ball at his feet, and would give solidity. Yes I know he is not a defender, but I would rather go with Sykes, Bell and Conway up top and the majority of our central defenders are out. Cornick would offer experience and strength at the back and is not afraid to get stuck in. The other option is Andy King. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 4

38 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I would be tempted to put Cornick in at centre back. He's not slow, but he's a big lad, rather solid with the ball at his feet, and would give solidity. Yes I know he is not a defender, but I would rather go with Sykes, Bell and Conway up top and the majority of our central defenders are out. Cornick would offer experience and strength at the back and is not afraid to get stuck in. The other option is Andy King. 

This absolutely HAS to be banter….surely?

• Like 2

What I do wonder, as well as Sykes has played this season, is whether there'd be a value to Cornick in the middle with Bell and either Conway (if fit) or Weimann either side cutting in.

The logic being that I think Cornick is effective in the centre but does tend to drop deep. At Leeds that left us with few options in the box but having strikers playing wide who could cut into the space Cornick leaves could be effective...

• Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, Phil White said:

Well it’s all about opinions & I like Sykes although  he often doesn’t support the full back but does offer more in an attacking role. As for creativity’s I can’t see how he is anywhere near the level of TGH in terms of his passing range or dead ball delivery… as I say just my opinion.

Dead ball delivery can be taken as a RB or a CM. That doesn't matter.

46 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Aye, outrageous that he doesn’t just hand over all his money for the benefit of Bristol City.  How dare he keep some for himself.

£30m* was made by football; and he said what football makes, football can spend. At no point have I asked or inferred he should spend “all his own money”. It’s not outrageous to expect him to stick to his word.

*£30m is a ball-park figure following the sales of Semenyo (£10m) and Scott (£25m), minus around £5m-£6m spent in 2023.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My patience is starting to wear thin with all these continued injuries. But more so that once again i'm going to be paying to watch us play with the 1 recognised CB. All that money we got for Scott and still we find ourselves possibly playing with 1 cb. 

The reason why we never progress treading water trying to survive on a shoestring .

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd play Sykes at rb and Cornick on the right. Dasilva will struggle with the overload. 

If Conway can start, then Cornick may well he the right forward. If Knight is ill, Sykes could play the advanced midfield role.

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Aye, outrageous that he doesn’t just hand over all his money for the benefit of Bristol City.  How dare he keep some for himself.

This has been done sooooo many times. Yes it’s his money but equally it’s his debt. He is responsible. The buck stops at Guernsey.

The issue is not that he hasn’t spent the money but that he has spent it badly and when we have a top man in place he hasn’t come through with his promise of ‘ what football earns football keeps ‘. 
Uncle Steve has confused the hell out of us by telling us one thing and ,  apparently, doing another. 

• Like 9